Whey Protein

As others stated, ON Gold Standard is at the top of the heap for quality/cost. I also use Dymatize ISO100 Hydrolyzed Isolate. Just a tad more expensive but it has less calories, less fat and less carbs with a slightly higher and better protein profile. Both are top choices and I purchase my supps at bodybuilding.com however GNC has good sales at times.

You really dont need extra protein unless your diet sucks. Replacing glycogen stores is a better recovery strategy. Better yet, a healthier diet will result in better gut health, better digestion and absorption of nutrients, a generally healthier whole person.

You really dont need extra protein unless your diet sucks. Replacing glycogen stores is a better recovery strategy. Better yet, a healthier diet will result in better gut health, better digestion and absorption of nutrients, a generally healthier whole person.

I second bruceleroy's advice, very solid. Protein powder is gimmicky and is pushed by industry IMO. From my experience, I feel it has more of a placebo effect. I am by no means a personal trainer or nutritionist, but depending on the OP goals the extra protein may not even be needed. Sometimes the extra protein powder are just extra calories.

I would place quality sleep over extra protein any day.

Stud Duck

Lil-Rokslider

I'd have to respectfully disagree with your first sentence and only your first sentence. My diet is on-point and I track my macros daily. There are times the only way I can hit my "number" for protein and stay within my other numbers (calories, fat, sugar, sodium, etc) is to drink it.

Depending on how many milligrams of protein you take for your body weight, it's almost impossible to eat that amount of protein without taking in too many calories or fat among other things; especially if you're cutting, but anyhow......

To answer the OP's original question: to avoid bloat and gas, check out 1st phorm protein powder OR head over to bodybuilding.com and read until your head spins. A lot of knowledgeable people over there too.

K_pem

WKR
Check out myprotien.

Ive used it through BB competition training and powerlifting alike. Taste is good as is the purity and quality of the protein. Plus you cant beat the price!

GotDraw?

WKR
One of my buddies and I used to train for and compete in ultra distance cycling, 400k, 600k, 1200k events. Not unusual to ride 24hrs straight before a quick 3-4 hr nap and back on the bike. We had to resort to liquid meal replacement due to the calories we were burning.

Many whey concentrates are supposedly "lactose free"; however, their definition of lactose-free meant very low levels of residual lactose. That's okay for folks who drink a glass a day; however, when you consume 5,000+ calories/day of whey and carbs as your meal replacement, then that lactose can compound into a real issue. My buddy had mild lactose intolerance, but ended up with big digestive issues from high consumption of whey based product.

My buddy fixed his whey/lactose issue by switching to powdered egg protein, mixed with a powdered orange flavored carbohydrate supplement. He loved it and it worked great for him.

JL

OXN939

WKR
I second bruceleroy's advice, very solid. Protein powder is gimmicky and is pushed by industry IMO. From my experience, I feel it has more of a placebo effect. I am by no means a personal trainer or nutritionist, but depending on the OP goals the extra protein may not even be needed. Sometimes the extra protein powder are just extra calories.

I would place quality sleep over extra protein any day.

Third on this. Deadlifted 350 and ran a sub 6:00 mile yesterday, haven't taken whey protein in years.

As some others have recommended, ON 100% Gold Standard Whey has really been the standard (no pun intended) for quite some time and its a good value also. That being said there really are a lot of good proteins out there, just stay away from those that are loaded with sugar. Also just use them as a supplement, don't drink them religiously. Try to get most of your protein from whole foods.

tracker12

WKR
About time Whey Protein. Stuff is great. Mixes well hot or cold. I have been using it for 5 years now. I buy it from Ebay or Amazon depending on who has the best price.

I do a lot of writing and research on a lot of these supplement topics. I haven't seen anyone mention a legitimate option that meets what you could say as best and pure. They all run artificial sweeteners and colors to make them cheap and taste better.
I know of 4 options that would actually meet a "pure" standard. Legion Athletics has a great protein with no added fillers or sweeteners and they support the hunting industry as they can be bought at built2hunt.com ..... Your other options are Wild Foods Co has a pure whey with like 2 ingredients but the taste is a little bland. Another would be Ascent Protein, and their parent company actually makes the majority of the bulk protein out there but uses the higher quality themselves in the Ascent label. The fourth is a small company in Idaho that I can't remember right now. If you like sweeter flavor you have Legion at Built2Hunt and if you want a less filling option Ascent is the way to go.

OP
huntaholic123
Appreciate all of the input and advice. Since May I have been using Gold Standard Whey Protein from Costco. Haven't had the slightest issue with feeling bloated or gassy. Will continue to use the GS. Thanks again for the replies

ScottinPA

WKR
Working through my first bag of Myprotein after years of ON and GNC stuff along with trying some other lesser known brands. Myprotein is alright but I think I prefer the ON product better. IIRC price wasn't that big of a difference.

A body builder friend of mine would only use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. But just remember getting the right protein through the food in your diet is what counts. Supplements are just that, to help the in-betweens.

Looking for the best, pure, whey protein out there that can be bought in bulk. I have tried a lot of different whey proteins and some of them just don't sit well. Get some pretty bad farts from some and others don't bother me. From the little research I have done it is due to how pure the protein is. Was curious if anyone knows one of the better whey proteins out there that can be bought in bulk for a decent price. Actually really like MTN Ops but the price tag for half a tub of whey isn't all that appeasing. Thanks in advance!
Here is a list of 11 Best-Tasting Protein Powders for men https://thefitstrong.com/best-tasting-protein-powders-for-men/ This honestly. I know taste is subjective, but you will be disappointed a lot if you buy protein based on reviews and recommendations. Gold Standard and Dymatize are the best tasting protein powders I have tried.

jordan714

FNG
Optimum Nutrition is the gold standard as their name states. However, if you're looking for simplicity, I'd recommend checking out naked whey. I had a tub of the unflavored whey, and I was a little bit of a hassle to mix flavors, so now I'm back to flavored protein powders.

ishika244

FNG
Actually I am using asitis whey protein because it is a good whey product in my budget. I am always trying to buy the cheapest whey protein that available in India but not compromise with the quality of product

Tomks

FNG
I use myprotein.com. Great protein I usually wait to order when they have a sale which is often and get and 11 pound bag for cheap.