Which 10x42 Swaros for all things Alaska hunting?

jhm2023

WKR
Well I've had the itch to get some new 10x42 binos lately. Lucky for me my wife works at a retail store, so I pay a visit every so often to look at things and see what the employee discount might be on things I like. Pretty sure I end up spending more than she makes there. I started looking at different binos and I made the mistake of looking at the 10x42 NL pures. Wow these are great! Meanwhile she walked up to me and asked, what are you doing? Damn, I'm busted. Hey babe what might be the employee price on these? She told me. Holy smokes that's good, you should buy these for me. She looked at me like I'm crazy but she married me knowing that I probably am anyway. Long story short she agreed to buying a pair of Swaro binos. Thos of you that have used both, are the NLs worth the extra price over the ELs. I really like the field of view and the ergonomics of the NL. Will be used for all things Alaska hunting with more focus on hunting in the mountains.

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through about the same process after making the mistake of bringing my Conquest HD 10x42 to compare with all the alpha binos at Sportsman’s. My wife enjoys glassing as well and scoffed at the prices until she put eyes behind NL Pures at dusk. We compared NL 8x42, NL 10x42, EL Range 10x42, and Victory SF 10x42.

Overall the NL 8x42 were easiest to get behind and brighter when looking into shadows. I was surprised when hand holding compared with 10x42 NL that the 8’s didn’t give up any detail and benefited from the enormous FOV. The depth of field and edge to edge clarity is night and day better than my Conquests so the 8x42 NL Pure got my money. I found the ergonomics of the EL Range lacking and the optics more difficulty to get behind when compared with NL Pures.

It’s a lifetime purchase and I told my wife that until they make rangefinding binos that compete with the NL Pures I will never be wanting different binos. The only problem is she is gonna want a pair as well once kids get older and she is hunting again. It’s a good problem to have I suppose.

snipe10

FNG
Ugh, was set on the 10X42 NL's but now I'm going to take another look at the 8's. And I was all set, thanks a lot Dirtriding4life!

Flogger

FNG
I think it all depends on what kind of glassing/hunting you do the most. If you glass off a tripod a lot the 10’s beat the 8’s in my opinion. If you hunt in denser areas the 8’s will be a better option. Honestly I think it depends some on how steady your hands are as well. I personally own 10x42 EL’s and I’m very happy with them. The NL’s are definitely a step above the EL’s and if you’re already contemplating going with the NL’s you definitely should or else you will always second guess your decision, in my opinion.

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
Ugh, was set on the 10X42 NL's but now I'm going to take another look at the 8's. And I was all set, thanks a lot Dirtriding4life!
I completely agree with the reply Flogger wrote. In long distance glassing with a tripod the 10x will show more detail than the 8x. The compromises for that are smaller exit pupil, more shake when handholding and smaller FOV, which for my chest binos are not worth the compromise. I pack 15x56 for the long distance glassing so the 8x on my chest makes a lot of sense. I prefer the comfort using both eyes glassing so if I’m looking about half mile and closer the 8 NL on a tripod are the shit with such wide FOV and when I’m looking much further than that I will throw the 15x up.

If you only want one set of binos to pair with a spotter the 10x probably is best. When you add in the forehead rest with the NL Pure the 10x becomes super versatile.

nibbler

FNG
the 12x are way better than 10's especially for glassing. the FOV is still better than most 10's

I don’t understand the obsession with 10’s and… now 12’s? For hand holding?

Remember to consider your exit pupil and FOV. Advantage always goes to the 8’s in both cases.

Exit pupil:
12x42 = 3.5mm 😢
10x42 = 4.2mm 😑
8x42 = 5.25 👍

Alaskan game isn’t particularly hard to spot so I’d give the nod to wider FOV (cover more ground in less time) and the better light gathering ability of a larger exit pupil. You’re looking for white animals (goat/sheep), big animals (moose/Bear) or animals in the open (caribou). Only exception are blacktail and they aren’t super difficult to see either.

Also, an 8 power binocular is phenomenal on a tripod. You can look a long way off and identify critters that way. You will not be determining legality of sheep (full curl) or moose (50”) from a long way off with any binocular. For that you’ll want to either get close or use a spotter. So, advantage goes to less magnification here as well.

In the end, it’s your money so buy what makes you happy. I just wanted to present the advantages of less.

Last edited:

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed. I PERSONALLY prefer 8x42’s after having a half dozen other binos before settling on what works best for me. My primary species is elk hunting in Montana with binos on my chest and less frequently on a tripod. Elk are large animals so if I feel I need more Mag, I jump to a 15x bino or spotter. 8x42 are easy on the eyes with a large field of view. My old 8x32 swaros actually have a larger field of view so don’t let anybody tell you a larger objective lens automatically = larger FOV. They’re also lighter weight. I still go back and forth between 8x32 and 8x42 as best all around carry binos