Which 12's?

Flyjunky

WKR
I'm going to be moving to 12's this spring and I think I've narrowed down my search to Meopta B1 12x50, Maven B5 12x56, and the Leica Ultravid+ 12x50. I realize the Leica are in another price tier but I do have a discount I can use to bring the price down. These will be used on a tripod 80% of the time. The Maven's might not fit in my AGC bind harness but that isn't a big deal if I have to buy a new one.

Thoughts or recommendations?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Also consider the GPO Passion HD 12.5x50 Binoculars
  • Incredible light transmission, 99.7% ags
  • Double HD glass technology
  • GPObright™ lens coating technology
  • Center focusing locking diopter
  • Tough aluminum eyecup tubes
  • Magnesium micro-bridge and body
  • Waterproof and fogproof
  • Ultra eye relief
  • PASSIONdrop™ hydrophobic coating

Wapiti1

WKR
I own the Meopta's and have no complaints about them. Very good glass. Heavy. I used them a lot last week off a tripod for mule deer, and they were great.

Jeremy

OP
Flyjunky

Flyjunky

WKR
Can I ask why not the Maven B6?
Very easy answer, because I missed those. I skipped right over the 12x50 option. Thanks for the heads up!

I've heard good things about Maven but never looked through a pair.

Maven, Meopta, or Leica.....choices!

ZackP

WKR
Anyone have experience with the Tract 12.5x? I've been eyeballing them, not sure if they're a lateral move from viper hd?
Although I’ve never looked through the 12.5x50 - Tract glass would be a step above the Viper.

Very easy answer, because I missed those. I skipped right over the 12x50 option. Thanks for the heads up!

I've heard good things about Maven but never looked through a pair.

Maven, Meopta, or Leica.....choices!

In that case, Maven B6 or the B1 Plus would be my option!

Both qualify for Mil discounts if that’s something you can get. Mavens (if I’m not mistaken) will still be cheaper, lighter, and have a wider FOV. I do love Meopta though.

nobody

WKR
Maven B6, since someone brought it up before me! Every piece of Maven glass has impressed me, and for the $$$, they're truly hard to pass up!

If you're willing, I would also (much to the chagrin of people on this forum) check out the Vortex Razor UHD's. My dad got a pair for Christmas from us (merry Christmas dad, pick out your new lifetime bino on me!), and he actively chose those over the EL's that he originally was going to pick. Better color fidelity and no discernable difference in edge to edge. To be clear, this is the Razor UHD (made in Japan, many reports and evidence to support they come from the SAME OEM factory as the Maven in Kamakura), and not the made in China HD model. My brother runs the Razor HD's in 10x50 and I run the UHD's in 10x50, and there is a noticeable improvement in every optical aspect of the UHD over the HD. Check them out, you won't be disappointed!

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I just finished 10 days of hunting in OK using my MeoStar B1 Plus 12x50 bino. Absolutely wonderful binos. Great clarity and stellar in low light conditions. Depending on where I was hunting I used mine on a tripod part of the time but easy to hold on target and focus. MeoStar glass is known around the world for low light performance, these will not let you down.

Also consider the GPO Passion HD 12.5x50 Binoculars
  • Incredible light transmission, 99.7% ags
  • Double HD glass technology
  • GPObright™ lens coating technology
  • Center focusing locking diopter
  • Tough aluminum eyecup tubes
  • Magnesium micro-bridge and body
  • Waterproof and fogproof
  • Ultra eye relief
  • PASSIONdrop™ hydrophobic coating
Any links to reviews or comparisons to other similar binoculars? They look good on paper for sure.

OP
Flyjunky

Flyjunky

WKR
So would you guys go with either the Maven or Meopta over the Leica Ultravid HD+? Only reason I ask is because I do get a decent discount on those.

bigbuckdj

WKR
I have the meostar b1 plus hd in 12x50 and I haven’t looked through the b6 but I’ve messed with several mavens so I’ll give some input.

I generally prefer the warmer color and slower focus wheel on the meostars I’ve owned vs the mavens I’ve messed with. I can’t imagine you’d give up much optically with either but the meostar I have is really really sweet. No CA, super bright, mild distortion at the edges, and like the other meostars I’ve owned, they are really comfortable to look through.

The B6 is smaller and weighs less and I’d love to buy one to try it out but I don’t really want for anything from the meostar, it also balances really nicely in my hand.

I had a pair of meostars that lost collimation and they immediately sent me a brand new pair. I wouldn’t have reservations with the warranty of either.

All the mavens I’ve looked through were nice optics and I use my B3s more than any other optic I have, I doubt you’d be disappointed with either. You should try to get your hands on them and see what your preference is if you can.

Hoodie

WKR
I've had the Meopta and have the Maven B6 and think the comment above mine sums up their pros/cons well. Both are great binos.

Meopta- Best CA control out there in a $1k 12x50. Slightly warmer color bias. Heavy, but also well built. Locking center diopter. Shorter eye relief (if that matters)

Maven- More neutral color balance. Maybe a touch higher transmission. 8-9 oz Lighter. No locking diopter. Very good eye relief for a 12x50. Maven has a slight edge on FOV.

So would you guys go with either the Maven or Meopta over the Leica Ultravid HD+? Only reason I ask is because I do get a decent discount on those.
Hard to beat the Ultravids. I'm a big Meopta fan too. The ultravids feel and handle more like a 42mm, they are sleek. These are both heirloom quality glass that will be great binos for decades to come. I would lean toward Leica due to the ergonomics; I haven't compared them enough to have an opinion on the optics but they are both awesome. Both had a similar warm/yellow hue to my eyes.

No opinion on the Maven B6. Only Mavens I've used were the 9x45 and the 18x56s. They were both really sharp in the center but had quite a bit of edge distortion and didn't have the nice relaxing view that you get with a high end European glass.

Q child

WKR
I'd get the Ultravids. But, I've been a sucker for Ultravids since I got a pair of 7x42s a few years ago - there is something special about them.