Which 2 man comfort shelter

Lawnboi

WKR
Right now im looking between the kifaru sawtooth and the 4 man. Im hoping to order soon as id really like to use this ice fishing this year along with year round for 2 person camping. Any preferences? The 4 man looks like the loops would be a little more durable which would be nice for pitching on the ice. Along with the fact that i dont have to worry about changing wind directions with the tipi over the sawtooth. Or does the sawtooth stand up to changing winds well?

Both would be used with a medium stove

You guys think these shelters have enough room in them for a couple guys, gear and a few ice fishing holes? Im only 5'6 so height of the 4 man is no big deal to me. It would be nice to be able to sleep in them as well.

Any one else ever pitch these things on the ice? Sounds easy enough to do with nails and a hammer. Add the woodstove and i think they will make the perfect place to fish out of and stay in on the ice. Im looking to lighten my load a little and not have to drag so much crap out, along with having a shelter i can use all year as a comfort shelter.

I dont really want to go any bigger than the 4 man, cause its hard to find nice spots that big to camp at.

sneek-ee

WKR
I love my sawtooth. Never pitched it on ice. Withstands the wind really well however i've pitched it.
You have plenty of room for two people with gear...... Only thing i can think of though with you wanting to use it for ice fishing.. is the front of the sawtooth is where the stove goes. the front is where it's the tallest and then it gradually slopes down... I dont think you'd be able to have two holes to fish out of comfortably sitting in chairs and the stove going... but i could be wrong. it would just be a tight fit in my mind.

Go 6 man tipi. Perfect for two guys and gear. Lots of room. The Sawtooth is nice too or 4 man. Cant really go wrong. I really like tipis. Something about them are so awesome.
DSC_2890.jpg

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have got a SO 6 that is absolutely a palace for 2 people and their gear. There is still plenty of room for a third person, but its great not having to feel crowded. Did that for way too many years in a tent with the only source of heat being my Primus.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I thought about the SO as well as ti goat. But i have been really happy with my kifaru stuff thus far so im going to stick with them

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with a 6-man. You should have no problems setting it up solo. I have an 8-man and I've put it up solo many times. The problem I have with a 4 man is that it would be hard to stand up in it. The peak is 6'6" but slopes down steeply. The 6-man's peak is 7'6".

With a stove and wood pile the 8-man is great for 3 guys plus gear. 4 guys could fit but it would be a little crowded. I'm guessing a 6-man with a stove and wood pile would be great for 2 guys plus gear and little crowded with 3.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Personally I'd go Sawtooth if it was just two guys and a stove. Lightweight. Great layout for wind shedding and really makes good use as far as usable space in the footprint of the shelter, more so than a tipi. Just my opinion after spending a good bit of time in both tipis and the sawtooth.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Heck my 12 man is a cinch to put up solo. Tipis go up easy regardless of size IMO.