Which .223 do I buy?

I’m wanting to get a gun for coyotes and prairie dogs. I’ve kind of settled on a .223 but I’d like any other suggestions people may have. I like that a .223 is cheap to shoot. I’ve been doing some research on rifles and am starting to get overwhelmed. My local gun shop has a Ruger american predator and also a ranch in stock right now so they are definitely on my list. I would hope to keep the gun with a scope under a grand. What is the best I can get for this price I guess is what it comes down to. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ClarkHurst
Also I’d be thinking a bolt action.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I agree with @Grumman’s recommendation that you get a 223 that has a twist no slower than 1:8” so you can shoot 77 gr bullets. The Tikka T3Xs and the Ruger American Rifles I have been around have shot well.

WCB

WKR
Get the Ruger American Predator Put a variable power scope I would say up to 12x minimum so like a 3-12 or 3-15, 4-16 something in that range and have fun.

IMO while Tikkas are nice guns there is no need to shoot 77gr bullets for yotes and even less reason for PDogs. Also you save a little money to put into an optic and bipod or a good shooting support which you will need for both P-dogs and Yotes. You will like the longer barrel for noise and for shooting P-dogs it will make it more enjoyable to shoot.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Looking for a fast twist .222 myself.
I may have to buy whatever I find and re-barrel.

Last edited:
+1 for tikka. I went with a remington SPS and then had to spend $$$ to make it what I wanted. I would go tikka if I did it again.

depending on how long of shots you are taking, you don’t need to break the bank on glass. My Remmy wears a $300 Nikon and it assassinates ground hogs out to 200 yards on the regular.

OP
ClarkHurst
The American predator that my gun shop has is used. It has a vortex diamondback tactical 6-24x50 scope on it. To my it felt way to front heavy and the stock felt cheap and light. The price they want for it doesn’t leave me room to put a custom stock on it.

Brent21

FNG
After sighting in my sons Tikka .308 I’m a big fan of them. I would pay the extra and know that you are going to get a solid gun.

huck

Lil-Rokslider
1 in 8 twist factory or little faster custom barrel .bolt action or single shot my prefer ence .

BLJ

WKR
I have the RA Ranch with an Athlon Argos 4-20. It can keep 5 shots under an inch at 100 with 69 SMK off of sandbags. I agree that the stocks are not that good. I'm at $750 for rifle and scope. It's at 8# without a magazine.
I've also heard good things about the Tikka. I was looking to stay cheaper all around and I preferred the 16" barrel and AR magazines.

kkp005

WKR
The Ruger Americans are great guns for the money… still hard to beat a tikka 223 with 1/8 twist. I have one cut down to 18” and wreck deer with 77gr TMK’s

Zappaman

WKR
Or, buy a Savage Axis (I own many, they ALL shoot sub MOA out of the box with good ammo). This gun will shoot bug holes for 1/2 the cost of the Tikka. The Ruger is a bit more ($100) and also a "cheap" gun that shoots great out of the box. BLJ's set up (above) sounds good to me if Ruger.

I prefer the Savage Axis II XP STAINLESS (about $400 on sale after rebates, etc.) with an adjustable accu-trigger (I run mine about 2 lbs). I like Weavers (Classics, Grand Slams) and Nikons (Prostaffs, Monarchs). Better glass can be found for $200 - $350 (some old stock still out there for Weaver- Natchess has "Classics" for just over $200 now). Believe it or not, there are some GREAT scopes out there for UNDER 1 millions dollars! In fact, quit a few under $500 that will give your 223 everything it needs for the range it shoots. You can put the $200+ you save into good ammo ;)

mi650

WKR
The American predator that my gun shop has is used. It has a vortex diamondback tactical 6-24x50 scope on it. To my it felt way to front heavy and the stock felt cheap and light. The price they want for it doesn’t leave me room to put a custom stock on it.

Honestly, you're going to have a hard time finding everything you want in a setup for your budget. The Ruger is probably going to be a good shooter, and that Vortex is pretty well regarded. Remember, Ruger has to make cuts somewhere to get those rifles out the door for the low price. Mostly, those cuts seem to be in the stock.

Your local shop is probably going to have some wiggle room in the price, especially if you go in there with cash. Buy it, shoot it, and save up for a better stock in the meantime. Or, depending on how much you have left out of the $1000, sell the Vortex for $300ish, buy a stock and a cheaper scope. (I don't recommend this route though, as you may not be happy with a cheaper scope.)

mi650

WKR
Oh, and a Savage Axis should be a decent shooter, too. My wife bought me a .22-250 for about $400, I sold the scope that came with it for about $60, iirc, and put a Leupold VX-3i on it. I have just over $1000 into it, but it's still in the original cheap stock.

ETA: A Tikka is going to be a better rifle all around, but will leave the OP with no money left for a scope, bipod, ammo...

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
The Ruger Americans are great guns for the money… still hard to beat a tikka 223 with 1/8 twist. I have one cut down to 18” and wreck deer with 77gr TMK’s

I really wanted to go the tikka route but the non threaded ended up turning me to the ruger predator 223. I am gonna load 73 eldm this year. Maybe the 77s too

kkp005

WKR
I really wanted to go the tikka route but the non threaded ended up turning me to the ruger predator 223. I am gonna load 73 eldm this year. Maybe the 77s too

I had my tikka threaded also.. $75 well spent

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
I’m liking the ruger 223 so much that I’ll probably look for a tikka too in the same caliber. Once they come back around. A tikka 6 arc would be cool too !!