Which 4mm arrows and where to order?

CMF

WKR
I want to build some 4mm arrows with Iron Will components. I'd like to order them cut and spine tested then do the rest myself.
Which arrows are you having luck with?
Who can I order them from that will cut and spine test them?

Currently shooting a V3X -29, 29.5 draw length, shooting 70lbs, but plan to try the 75 mods in the off season. Maxima red SD, around 480grn total weight. I'd like to stay around that same weight.

Pretty much anywhere that sells arrows will cut them to length for you. What do you mean by spine tested?

A 9-ish gpi shaft cut around 1" shorter than your draw length with 175-200 gr on the front and 30 gr on the rear would get you close to 480 gr TAW. Easton Axis 4mm, Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce, or Victory VAP would fit that bill in 300 spine.

Reactions: CMF

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
i run victory vap tko's 28.5" with 110gr ethics insert and 100gr broadheads, 3 fletch.

comes out to 520gr. could cut 20gr off the ethics and get to 500gr but they fly deadly out to 100

I want to build some 4mm arrows with Iron Will components. I'd like to order them cut and spine tested then do the rest myself.
Which arrows are you having luck with?
Who can I order them from that will cut and spine test them?

Currently shooting a V3X -29, 29.5 draw length, shooting 70lbs, but plan to try the 75 mods in the off season. Maxima red SD, around 480grn total weight. I'd like to stay around that same weight.
I like victory VAP SS. Super tough arrows, straightness is really good, and that stainless steel honeycomb interior gives good weight. Paired with a 50 to 75 grain stainless or steel outsert and a 125 grain broadhead should land you close to 15% FOC and be right at 485 to 505 grains total weight at your length. Provided you don't go crazy on the back end with long wraps or 5" feathers there's even a little room for a lighted knock.

Bump79

WKR
I'm a huge fan of the high modulus carbon shafts like the BE X-Impact, Element Storm & Kill'n Stix Micro LT. These shafts are incredibly durable for the weight.

TX_Diver

WKR
Lancaster will sell you singles but charges to cut them and glue inserts.

Both Hit Or Miss in Albuquerque and RMS Gear in Denver will cut them and glue in inserts, etc. as part of their price I believe.

Tilzbow

WKR
I’m a big fan of Black Eagle Deep Impact or X-Impact shafts (same shaft, different labels). I order mine directly from BE. Not sure why you want shafts spine tested, it’s not really necessary anymore, as long as you buy from a high quality manufacturer. I used Carbon Express shafts for a few years and those had horrible spine tolerances.

Bump79

WKR
I’m a big fan of Black Eagle Deep Impact or X-Impact shafts (same shaft, different labels). I order mine directly from BE. Not sure why you want shafts spine tested, it’s not really necessary anymore, as long as you buy from a high quality manufacturer. I used Carbon Express shafts for a few years and those had horrible spine tolerances.
This isn't accurate in the slightest as BE Deep Impact and X-Impact are completely different shafts and have way different GPI's. The only similarity is that they are both 4mm shafts made by the same manufacturer.

nphunter

WKR
Order some Easton Pro-Comps, won't find a more consistent arrow, aluminum-lined carbon. Go big or go home!

fatlander

WKR
You can build 3 or 4 dozen match grade 6.5s with brass inserts, custom fletchings, and the knocks of your choice for what you’re going to spend on 4mm with iron will components.

I’ve yet to personally meet anyone that isn’t getting a check from an arrow company that recommends 4mm’s with a straight face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll cut and spine test them for you.

If you shoot them through a shooting machine you will find that where the static spine was weak doesn't align to where they actually want to be once shot.

I have found the best thing for most people is to go on the stiff side of spine. It reacts more consistently out of the bow and generally needs less nock tuning.

I'm not a fan of 4mm except for field archery with glue in points. The better option is a 5mm and a hit insert. Easton, Victory, Black Eagle, find something that will put your arrow weight where you want it with the components you want to use.

TheViking

WKR
Sirius Archery - Orion is their 4mm

If you go 75# mods and 175 up front, you will want a 250 spine, it's 9.0 GPI

Super awesome arrow!

They will cut, square and spine align for you (for an extra cost)

I can get you a discount code if you want to go this path. Shoot me a PM.

Tilzbow

WKR
This isn't accurate in the slightest as BE Deep Impact and X-Impact are completely different shafts and have way different GPI's. The only similarity is that they are both 4mm shafts made by the same manufacturer.

At one point it was true but now it’s not so thanks for the correction.

The Deep Impact shafts in .250 spine I first bought years ago were exactly the same as the X-Impact in .250 spine. They no longer make the Deep Impact in .250 spine but the X-Impact still has the same specs as the original Deep Impact .250 I first bought and I’m still shooting the handful of remaining shafts. At that time I’m pretty sure both models had the same specs throughout the range of matching spines but I don’t have proof of that beyond the .250

Last edited:
You can build 3 or 4 dozen match grade 6.5s with brass inserts, custom fletchings, and the knocks of your choice for what you’re going to spend on 4mm with iron will components.

I’ve yet to personally meet anyone that isn’t getting a check from an arrow company that recommends 4mm’s with a straight face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fat, No check from an arrow company....and a happy user of the discontinued Easton 4mm Carbon Injexion. Used them for 11 seasons now, and have enough for quite a few more hunting seasons.

I do NOT like Deep 6 components though...too weak in the skinny broadhead shank for me as well as in the insert. I do however use the 22 gr stainless steel stock insert installed in the stock location to reinforce the front of the shaft along with the Firenock outserts that cover part of the insert location. I've had great luck with that combination....completed the last 10 species of the archery super slam with them. Mostly mountain hunting for various sheep and caribou, plus Grizzly, Brown and Polar bears. Musk Ox, Tule. etc. Penetration was always good, wind drift was minimized and very few were broken....typically sheared off by the near side leg/shoulder when buried in the opposite shoulder.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
I like victory VAP SS. Super tough arrows, straightness is really good, and that stainless steel honeycomb interior gives good weight. Paired with a 50 to 75 grain stainless or steel outsert and a 125 grain broadhead should land you close to 15% FOC and be right at 485 to 505 grains total weight at your length. Provided you don't go crazy on the back end with long wraps or 5" feathers there's even a little room for a lighted knock.
After looking through the various arrows mentioned, I'm thinking I'll go with the VAP SS.

I'm planning on the IW vanes, I don't use lighted nocks, but I usually put a 1/2" reflective wrap between the vanes and nock just to help find arrows in the dark.