Which 80mm Spotter - Swaro, Meopta or Kowa?

Finn16

WKR
I'm looking to buy an 80ish mm scope soon. My list started out with the Swaro ATS 80 and 85 ATX, Meopta Meostar S2, Kowa TSN-773 and TSN 883. Even though the ATX 85 appears to be the best of the bunch, I've eliminated it due to weight and cost. I'm not really sure where I stand on the ATS 80 as the weight is great, but from what I read, it isn't superior optically to the lower priced Meopta and Kowas.

I have a question on the Kowas. Twice I read that the Kowas don't handle direct sunlight well at all compared to other high end glass. Have you 773/774 and 883/884 users found this to be a problem? I also struggle on the Kowas wondering if the 883/884 is worth the extra the money over the 773/774.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Meopta but that is subject to change - LOL. To be honest, my head hurts from all the research I've done lately.

Any comments from those having firsthand experiences with any of the above would be appreciated. Thanks!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Any spotter into the sun is problematic. Screw a filter on there if wanna help with glare or protect the objective. Mine has had one on it since the day I bought it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HuntnID

FNG
I guess we're in the same boat. I've been up in the air of the 773 or the 883. I'm still a bit undecided on which one though.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
IMO the Kowa 883 is the finest scope out there. The optical quality of the tube is as good as it gets and the wide angle zoom eyepiece is alpha quality as well.
It that's too pricey look at the Meopta MeoStar 20-70x82 S2 which we are offering for only $1,799.99. It's a great scope and nothing at that price is as good, again IMO

OP
Finn16

Finn16

WKR
IMO the Kowa 883 is the finest scope out there. The optical quality of the tube is as good as it gets and the wide angle zoom eyepiece is alpha quality as well.
It that's too pricey look at the Meopta MeoStar 20-70x82 S2 which we are offering for only $1,799.99. It's a great scope and nothing at that price is as good, again IMO

Doug, have you heard anything about Kowa putting rubber armour on their scopes? Also is there a 1.7 magnifier for Kowa? If so, how clear is it at higher magnification? Thanks.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have not heard anything about a retooling with rubber

They offer a 1.6x. It's fine quality but I am no fan of extenders as they cut the light drastically

sneaky

"DADDY"
Rubber armor is a non issue on a Kowa. If you drop any scope a rubber coating isn't going to save it. If the 773 is still being offered at $400 off it's every bit as good as the S2 at $1799. It definitely has the better eyepiece.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk