Which AICS bottom metal and magazines for my T3x?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a tikka t3x superlite in 6.5 creedmoore that dosent get much use, it’s sitting here with mountain tactical bottom metal.

I figured I’d like to do something with it, sort of make a semi custom out of it. I want to switch to the AICS bottom metal. Who makes a good one and which magazines are good? I’m also thinking of sending the bolt off to be fluted and eventually I’ll re barrel it (still in 6.5 creed).

Thanks!!!

Are you wanting to keep it lightweight as a carry rifle? I’ve used a KRG Bravo on a T3X Lite that took AICS mags. It works great but adds a pound.

There’s several companies that make conversions: Mountain Tactical, RedSnake, maybe Waters Rifleman (?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Are you wanting to keep it lightweight as a carry rifle? I’ve used a KRG Bravo on a T3X Lite that took AICS mags. It works great but adds a pound.

There’s several companies that make conversions: Mountain Tactical, RedSnake, maybe Waters Rifleman (?).

I’m hoping to keep it fairly light. The KRG bravo is pretty cool, seems like it would look fairly strange with the factory barrel though.

I’m hoping to keep it fairly light. The KRG bravo is pretty cool, seems like it would look fairly strange with the factory barrel though.

I had a light in the Bravo and didn’t think it looked too goofy. It functioned well.

I’ve got a CTR also... and my opinion (which may be unpopular) is that the CTR mags are much nicer than my AICS mags. A CTR take off can be found on eBay or forums fairly easily.

I just swapped over my 223 lite and 243 lite with the CTR stocks. I was able to find the standard ctr magazines at about the same price as the metal AICS mags so to me it seemed like an easy choice since I was wanting to spend a minimal amount on the stocks (I spent less on the whole CTR take off than any drop in I could find). Really happy with both of them and when I want a stock with more features than the CTR I'll upgrade to the KRG bravo with CTR cutout.

Another thing I'll add is that some people have converted the MDT polymer AICS magazines to work in the CTR. I was able to successfully do this with a MDT polymer 223 magazine (since the CTR 223 magazines are pricy). It has some wobble side to side but it feeds great so far.

I keep having guys recommed RedSnake Tactical’s bottom metal when I’ve thought about doing the same. Would be nice to get to a standard AICS magazine for multiple rifles now and my Tikka is the only one that doesn’t take AICS out of my rifles with detachable magazines.

I don’t have any firsthand experience with RS Tactical, but Ive looked at their options for Tikka and AICS and looks good to me at least! Check them out. Good luck!

z987k

WKR
Is there a system that doesn't add a ton of weight that will let you load longer than spec rounds?

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a system that doesn't add a ton of weight that will let you load longer than spec rounds?
Long action or short action?

Short action:
  • Convert to long action OEM mags and a long action bolt stop,
  • Convert to AICS bottom metal and run magpul AICS mags for lower weight
  • Look into a different OEM short action mag (there is some kind of SA + OEM mag) that works with the factory short action stop.

Long actions: you can go to a AICS bottom metal and AICS mags, but it pretty well caps out around 3.6 OAL and does add weight to reach that OAL.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have a tikka t3x superlite in 6.5 creedmoore that dosent get much use, it’s sitting here with mountain tactical bottom metal.

I figured I’d like to do something with it, sort of make a semi custom out of it. I want to switch to the AICS bottom metal. Who makes a good one and which magazines are good? I’m also thinking of sending the bolt off to be fluted and eventually I’ll re barrel it (still in 6.5 creed).

Thanks!!!

As a play toy or dedicated LR rifle AI mags make sense. However, the factory Tikka mags are one of the reasons that T3’s are as reliable and smooth as they are. For hunting, or any use where ten round mags are not required, or unless you’re going to a chassis, the factory Tikka mags are the pick of the litter. As well, fluting a T3 opens the door for debris to get in, and usually results in some loss in the smooth bolt that Tikkas have.

I’ve got a CTR also... and my opinion (which may be unpopular) is that the CTR mags are much nicer than my AICS mags. A CTR take off can be found on eBay or forums fairly easily.

While I like the CTR (TRG) mag form factor and feeding, the problem with CTR mags is durability. Bent feedlips being the most common. Using a real TRG mag eliminates this, but the price is substantial.

T28w

WKR
Long action or short action?

Short action:
  • Convert to long action OEM mags and a long action bolt stop,
  • Convert to AICS bottom metal and run magpul AICS mags for lower weight
  • Look into a different OEM short action mag (there is some kind of SA + OEM mag) that works with the factory short action stop.

Long actions: you can go to a AICS bottom metal and AICS mags, but it pretty well caps out around 3.6 OAL and does add weight to reach that OAL.
So if I have a 300 wsm, I can either shave the bolt stop or get a long action bolt stop and then just get a long action tikka mag?

I had plans on getting the tikka mag from hca since I did not think the 300 wsm would fit in the long action mag. I would rather just get a new tikka mag if it will work

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
So if I have a 300 wsm, I can either shave the bolt stop or get a long action bolt stop and then just get a long action tikka mag?
I will second a vote for factory tikka mags, unless you have a really good reason to go aics. My Tikkas have spent a lot of time in KRG Bravo chassis' with aics mags and now they're back in the factory stocks with factory mags. The feeding is just so good, and if you raise the buttpad up an inch or so and get the vertical grip module, you're in high cotton regarding recoil control without the cost or weight of a chassis. I say just check that the "long action mag" internal length will accept your cartridge and get an appropriate bolt stop and rock on.

Last edited: