Which AICS bottom metal and magazines for my T3x?

T28w

WKR
I will second a vote for factory tikka mags, unless you have a really good reason to go aics. My Tikkas have spent a lot of time in KRG Bravo chassis' with aics mags and now they're back in the factory stocks with factory mags. The feeding is just so good, and if you raise the buttpad up an inch or so and get the vertical grip module, you're in high cotton regarding recoil control without the cost or weight of a chassis. I say just check that the "long action mag" internal length will accept your cartridge and get an appropriate bolt stop and rock on.
How are you raising the recoil pad up?

Dobermann

WKR
Me too. Have a couple that I’ve put back in factory stocks for the same reason, but do have a couple still in Bravo’s.

We need a two pound Bravo that takes factory mags….
Form, what are your thoughts on the Tikka UPR in this regard?

I've read there's some kind of issue about how they make that stock that means its possibly not as good a construction as similar designs, but I can't remember the details ...

I plan on going with Atlasworx bm and the new MDT 3 round for my t3x 308. Anyone with any experience with these? They also have a shortened mag release that seems the way to go for a hunting rig.

I have used the Redsnake on a SA build. I liked it, however, I ended up not liking the fact that the AICS mags did not sit snug, side-to-side. It being my first AICS build, I was not sure if that was standard for them, but that rifle doubles as a hunting rifle and I didn't want the mag banging back and forth against the mag well while carrying or moving it into position on stand. I ended up going with Mountain Tactical bottom metal and their Gen 2 mag. Getting the same load length as the AICS without the rattle.

That being said, finish was great on the Redsnake bottom metal and it fit into the factory bottom metal relief in both the factory stock and the McMillian cut to factory specs. I also liked the mag release lever on it.

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider
So if I have a 300 wsm, I can either shave the bolt stop or get a long action bolt stop and then just get a long action tikka mag?

I had plans on getting the tikka mag from hca since I did not think the 300 wsm would fit in the long action mag. I would rather just get a new tikka mag if it will work

Ahh, the OEM long action mags don't fit the larger diameter WSM/PRC etc cases. There is another option for factory bottom metal though: https://www.hellscanyonarmory.com/online-store/Tikka-T3-Billet-machined-WSM-SAUM-Magazine-p144952106
edit 2: apparently Mountain Tactical mags are supposed to work with WSM as well: https://tikkaperformance.com/product/tikka-gen2-long-action-mag/

That would let you run the long action bolt stop, in a factory compatible mag to get to the longer COAL's.

edit: Apparently you can mod a OEM WSM mag to work with the LA: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/easy-tikka-wsm-magazine-solution.139053/

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I agree with a lot that has been said above. I also have had a bravo, along with currently a match built tikka that runs on aics mags. Hard pass on them for hunting. There are flush options coming out but they are designed around the 700.

As for more room, if you need more than the 3.3x” a long action tikka mag gives, you should really consider an appropriate action. I’m some ways you could consider the tikka a medium action.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, what are your thoughts on the Tikka UPR in this regard?

I've read there's some kind of issue about how they make that stock that means its possibly not as good a construction as similar designs, but I can't remember the details ...

I haven’t used them to be able to say. The stock design is ok, the butt is still below the barrel, and it has the CTR mags which I don’t find to be an advantage for a hunting rifle.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
How are you raising the recoil pad up?
I bought the limbsaver pad, which is super comfortable, and just drilled new holes in it offset above the ones already present. It's redneck engineering at it's finest, but has worked really well for me. Don't make a spacer like I did for the first one, thats unnecessary in my opinion. Maybe if you had a high recoiling cartridge you might need it for strength, but 6.5 CM is the biggest cartridge I shoot anymore.

tempImagexAL7id.jpgtempImageL3GwA6.jpg

TheAngler

FNG
I am confused about the directions for installing the Mountain Tactical Tikka T3/T3x Gen2 Long Action AICS Bottom Metal. The YouTube video and directions I have read state to remove 0.04 in of trigger housing. When I called MT, they said that no smithing is required. I seem to be getting conflicting information.

I have just received the bottom metal and a brand new T3x in 300 win mag. I am waiting on the AICS magazine. I am trying to sort out what needs to be done.

It looks like MDT sells a Tikka specific AICS magazine with a 3.560 magazine length. If I go with this shorter AICS magazine, will I be able to install the MT bottom metal without needing to do the trigger housing shaving?

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
I am confused about the directions for installing the Mountain Tactical Tikka T3/T3x Gen2 Long Action AICS Bottom Metal. The YouTube video and directions I have read state to remove 0.04 in of trigger housing. When I called MT, they said that no smithing is required. I seem to be getting conflicting information.

I have just received the bottom metal and a brand new T3x in 300 win mag. I am waiting on the AICS magazine. I am trying to sort out what needs to be done.

It looks like MDT sells a Tikka specific AICS magazine with a 3.560 magazine length. If I go with this shorter AICS magazine, will I be able to install the MT bottom metal without needing to do the trigger housing shaving?
I have Redsnake Tactical bottom metal which is a drop in. The only modification needed is to rasp off a small amount of the stock inlet for the bigger “hole” needed for the magazine “hole” in the BM. It is really easy to install:

Mountain Tactical AICS bottom metal is not drop in...must make some rather exact modifications to get the BM To fit:

The answer to the last question is no and no. Trigger housing mods for the Mountain Tactical must be done because of the size of the ”hole” in the BM. The size of AICS mags are measured by the outside length dimension. For the 300 win mag the AICS mag length is 3.715”. Both the Red Snake and the Mountain Tactical use the same size AICS magazines For the 300 win mag.

I’ve been checking out the PSE stocks… can’t tell really how negative drop they are though from the pics. The weight, adjustable cheek piece, and they take factory mags looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk