Which arrow set up would you prefer?

mww982

WKR
This is a follow up to my other thread:

Which arrow set up would you prefer if both arrows shot great?

Draw length 28", bow set at 65lbs.

Easton Axis Match Grade 300 spine- Cut to 26.75" carbon to carbon (total length from end of insert to nock throat 27 7/8"), 100 grain insert, 125 grain head, total arrow weight about 550 grains. Roughly 16-17% FOC.

Easton Hexx 330 Spine- Cut 27.25" carbon to carbon, 75 grain insert, 125 grain head, total arrow weight about 445 grains, FOC 18-19%

Mainly hunting whitetail and pigs from a tree or a ground blind. Max shot would be 40 yards.

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR

Easton Axis Match Grade 300 spine- Cut to 26.75" carbon to carbon (total length from end of insert to nock throat 27 7/8"), 100 grain insert, 125 grain head, total arrow weight about 550 grains. Roughly 16-17% FOC.

Easton Hexx 330 Spine- Cut 27.25" carbon to carbon, 75 grain insert, 125 grain head, total arrow weight about 445 grains, FOC 18-19%

Mainly hunting whitetail and pigs from a tree or a ground blind. Max shot would be 40 yards.
I’d opt for the first but knock the insert weight down to 50gr and the head down to 100 for around 475. At your specs it’ll give you better trajectory, firm the spine up, and still provide plenty of weight for better penetration.

wapiti208

FNG
Are you not over spined for your draw length ? at least on the first setup. I have had really good luck with victory vaps 350 29" with a 75grain outsert and a 125 broad head of choice Currently Kudu.

So if i had to pic, i would go with the second choice. Albeit i have no experience with that arrow.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Are you not over spined for your draw length ? at least on the first setup. I have had really good luck with victory vaps 350 29" with a 75grain outsert and a 125 broad head of choice Currently Kudu.

So if i had to pic, i would go with the second choice. Albeit i have no experience with that arrow.

I shot the Hexx's with 100 grain head out of my Triax, never had an issue with them. Wanted to get over a 500 grain arrow. OT2 shows to be on the stiffer side of optimal and Archers Advantage shows it to be marginally stiff on the AXIS arrows.

I shot the Hexx's with 100 grain head out of my Triax, never had an issue with them. Wanted to get over a 500 grain arrow. OT2 shows to be on the stiffer side of optimal and Archers Advantage shows it to be marginally stiff on the AXIS arrows.

If you're only shooting whitetails and piggies I'd 100% go for the heavier arrows.

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider

At a 40 yard max on whitetail and pigs i would go with the Axis but i would consider going to the aluminum half out and a 100g head to get some velocity back. The effect at least for me of additional speed is increased accuracy and confidence and that opens up shots you may not take without it. 400 and change is plenty for whitetail at 40 in. If you do not like the aluminum half out the ss half out is 75g and that and 100g heads will save you 50g. You could also consider a bigger head and light insert to give you a larger cutting diameter if you use fixed blades like i do.
I do not think weight for the sake of weight at the cost of velocity that may increase accuracy is a good idea. That said the Axis arrows are very straight. After cutting and building with the 4mm and 5mm match and reg versions they are a lot better than several other manufacturers.

N2TRKYS

WKR
And why is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t like skinnier arrows and they are too expensive for me. 😂 I’m sure they’re both nice setups though.

It’s easy to overthink it. Just shoot whichever one you like best, assuming both fly equally well.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Out to 40 for only hogs and deer......trajectory likely isn't an issue so I'd use your first option. If you wanted to throw longer shots and trajectory into the mix, I'd use 50gr HIT's instead of 100gr and have a 500gr arrow instead of 550gr. Or you could even use 100gr heads like OR mentioned and have arrows at 475gr.

To me accuracy goes without saying, so that puts durability (toughness) right at the top of my list for arrow setups. That rules out a lot of arrows, insert/outsert options, and BH's.

I like the bloodline 330s better than the hexx. A lot cheaper and a bit heavier than the Hexx. The BL weight would split the diff between your 2 setups.