Which arrow would you choose?

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
So far my most forgiving set up is the Robertson Recurve shooting a 545 grn carbon arrow at 170 fps with 18% FOC.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
In my backyard testing with carbons and FOC, I'm finding that I like about 17-18%. Forgiveness and hit probability seems best vs over 20%. At least out to 32 yards at this point. Still working it.

Last edited:
OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
^^^ I wanted to add for me if I can build an arrow that tunes well at between 17% and not over 20% FOC is a good balance.
Going much over 20% FOC I feel I loose forgiveness in arrow flight.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
By the way I tune with no feathers for impact at 20 and 30 yards. Shot this just now at 32 yards.

Attachments

• 57FBE7C4-4B36-4435-93A7-B4D3467D79DF.jpeg
    57FBE7C4-4B36-4435-93A7-B4D3467D79DF.jpeg
    457.2 KB · Views: 11

sveltri

WKR
I apologize if this has already been stated, but both options are great. If you can accept the trajectory of the heavier arrow I would go that route.

Beendare

WKR
^^^ I wanted to add for me if I can build an arrow that tunes well at between 17% and not over 20% FOC is a good balance.
Going much over 20% FOC I feel I loose forgiveness in arrow flight.
I would agree....and we aren't the only ones....I know a bunch of guys that think that high teens of FOC is a sweet spot.

Its funny how all of my setups end with a forgiving tune in that high teens FOC range.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Yes there seems to be a trend to go extreme FOC these days. I don't think more is better. The same for arrow weight, most people will say, shoot the heavier arrow or the heaviest arrow your bow will shoot. Which I'll agree that weight is going to help some in penetration but if you are so heavy you start shooting under stuff that penetration doesn't mean anything.

I want the best balance of enough weight and hit probability that I can get out of an arrow. Also I am finding that EFOC arrows are less forgiving (for me) in arrow flight when that release is not so perfect.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, I found the same.^ Makes sense. This jibes with the appx range Easton has recommended forever. It also explains why not one single pro shoots very high 30% FOC. These guys know that EFOC is a destabilizing effect on the launch.

FOC is one of those things where some is good...but more isn't necessarily better.

I would agree on your arrow weight comment too. I've seen some incredible performance from a light arrow. Perfect arrow flight is an equalizer.