Which atv to buy for light/medium property work.

Bobbyboe

WKR
I am in the market for a new atv. My current one is a mid 90’s Suzuki 250. It’s under powered, air cooled and is fickle running slow.

The tasks I’d like to use a new 4 wheeler for is snow plowing on a 330’ driveway (Wisconsin) and pulling a 60” brush hog (mowing 2-4 acres of marshy grass/cattail). In addition, it would be used lightly for pulling ice fishing gear or maybe a deer out of the woods. I haven’t ever and don’t really plan on trail riding.

I am looking to buy new because used prices are still relatively high and also, I don’t want to deal with someone else’s issues. So, with all this said, what would you guys suggest? Everything I read says a mid powered, 400cc to 500cc, atv would have enough power for these tasks. In addition, people highly suggest power steering. I have looked at Polaris sportsman 450 and 570, can am and Honda ranchers.

It seems as if the Honda’s are highly regarded for their reliability. They also have a gearbox, which you can, if you want, manually shift through gears. Is this an advantage for work I’ll be doing? The Polaris and Can am’s seems to be built more for comfort. Will they be able to be run slow doing the work I intend?

So, what first hand experience do you guys have for similar tasks. Anyone experience overheating at slow speeds, or breakdowns? If you bought again, what would you buy and why?

SWOHTR

WKR
Rancher isn’t so utilitarian you can do that. Recommend bumping up to a Rubicon or Foreman.

You want to be able to shift and will want a low range for pushing and pulling stuff. Ranchers still lack a low range I think.

I also think Polaris still use a snowmobile clutch, so stay away from that.

What about a tractor, or UTV?

I have a 5 year old (bought new) Yamaha Grizzly 550 with power steering. I use it mostly for plowing and work on my land. No issues with it. Would highly suggest power steering. I am in central Wisconsin.

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
I agree with @SWOHTR. Based on your needs it sounds like a small tractor meets your needs the best.

I’d tend to agree with you guys about a tractor, but I’d sink a tractor in the soft soil. I just don’t think that would work.

SWOHTR

WKR
Ah. Well, then I highly recommend looking at a Foreman/Rubicon. Had one and it was great. The rancher is great too but a little too light duty.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Honda/Yamaha will be our next machine, period.

Our Polaris is the biggest POS I’ve ever owned and would not wish a Polaris on anyone. A local, independent and well respected ATV mechanic stated that Polaris products have sheltered, fed and clothed his family for more than a decade.

Last edited:

danarnold

WKR
I've been the powersports industry or 30 years, I have had can am's since 2003 and continue to use them.
honda would be my #2 pick....polaris,and yamaha dont make the list

5 speed Honda geared transmissions on the Rancher, Foreman or Rubicon (they all are available with gears and some with Automatic Dual Clutch Trannies as well) do not have low range but 1st is so low that it will do what you want. They are tough and hold their value well. I've owned 3 Hondas and basically driven each for a decade (all three used) and sold them all for what I paid for them. Changed oil and filters at required but that was it, plus tires on the oldest one.

That said, I much prefer my 2013 Yamaha Grizzly 550 with winch, power steering, heated grips, independent rear suspension, Ultramatic transmission, fuel injection and a better seat (to my rear) than the older Hondas I had. Grizzly is way more comfortable with superior suspension and ground clearance than the old Hondas. I use it to plow snow, go into the back country pulling a trailer caribou and moose hunting, some trail riding etc. I can move around a 1200# cargo trailer or 1,000# tandem flat deck trailer no problem with the Grizzly.

For your purpose the Honda is probably the machine to buy with gears, not the automatic. I'd probably get the solid rear axle versus the independent rear suspension as well since you don't hunt or trail ride utilizing the quad. The Honda 5 speeds get way better gas mileage than my Yamaha does as well.

tdhanses

WKR
This is like asking which truck is the best. 😂

Have you considered a UTV? I have a Polaris and that’s all my family ran on our farm and ranch, zero issues. Personally I think Honda is overrated. But like with trucks you can get a lemon from them all. Sounds like you already looked them over, go with what you like the most. Oh and the Polaris has a low gear that will easily handle slow going, it’s for speeds under 10mph.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
My research last year led me to another Yamaha friends all have Yamahas simply for reliability in the backcountry while tracking. Traded in my well used 450 for a new 700. Love the power steering and it has a lot of power. As noted you will get a lot of recommendations. Would nail down your budget and look at offerings and then reliability online to make your decision. The little 450 did well for over a decade and never left us stranded with some big loads but the new units get the wife’s thumbs up👍CBC574F6-2698-4375-AAC8-C3AF3AD395ED.jpeg

Last edited:

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Man I really like my 2012 Yamaha Grizzly 700 with EFI and power steering. I’ve taken out a full quartered elk plus a spike camp twice. For plowing snow it’s a beast and super fun.

Attachments

• 3AD17B9E-4375-4B3C-9ADF-CF35583D3704.jpeg
    3AD17B9E-4375-4B3C-9ADF-CF35583D3704.jpeg
    480.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 3C760D02-692E-4A8E-8F01-1C2AD39D60B1.jpeg
    3C760D02-692E-4A8E-8F01-1C2AD39D60B1.jpeg
    439.7 KB · Views: 35

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve always had Suzuki atvs. First was a 125 ’85 model that I used until I bought a new 250 ‘99 that I’m still using. Last year I bought a new Honda Foreman 500 because of all the hype and that they’re always on sale. After owning it for a year, I now know why they’re always on sale. I wish I had paid more and bought another Suzuki.

Crop scouting I ride the wheelers 20-80 miles a day depending on where we are and what time of the year looking at crops. I own 3 hondas that are the most reliable machines ive touched. My favorite is a Rincon but thats a bit much for what you want but at 21,000 miles it has seen only two new axles, a tierod (myfault), then just basic maintenance. My boss prefers his polaris's, the reason is the ride for him, he has more dollars to spend on repairs, the polaris will run for 15K aswell but ive rebuilt two of his bikes with wore out internals and one replacement on the bottom end of the motor, they make you buy the whole crank, rod, and piston as one, which is dumb... Not to mention the clutches are giant hunks of crap but simple to rebuild.... Have one artic cat wheeler a 550 they are basically a little better polaris in my opinion, i assume a CamAM would fall right next to it in quality and reliability. Yamaha makes a really great bike but here theres not much of a dealer. Power steering is a waste of money in my eyes and i dont like the feel of it, nor is it hard to steer one on tires in the first place, maybe i could understand with tracks.

Long story short I feel I have enough knowledge to say that Hondas are built to run, low maintenance, and are honestly made for work or a less comfortable recreation. Polaris is made to play and be in the shop during the week to be fixed, I think pulling the mower with the variable speed clutches would be hard on them but could be done. I would look at a foreman just to be a little larger machine (stability) and to have the juice available if you need it later down the road.

Apollo117

WKR
I’d tend to agree with you guys about a tractor, but I’d sink a tractor in the soft soil. I just don’t think that would work.
Maybe some tractors would sink in the soft soil. However, a sub-compact tractor doesn't weigh much more than an ATV or UTV. ~1,500 pounds vs ~750 pounds. Couple the small weight difference with larger tires and I doubt the tractor will sink any more than an ATV. If ~1,500 pounds is too heavy then downsize to a garden tractor.

IMO, your needs of plowing snow and mowing grass in low gear match well with a tractor, not an ATV.

However, if the ATV is used for riding two tracks and logging roads then it does that job a lot better than a tractor.