Which backpack for moose on down

Herbie03

FNG
Want to start researching backpacks for my 2020 AK moose hunt. I found some older threads on the subject, but figure there's been improvements/upgrades since those posts. Since this may be my only moose hunt, I want something that I can use for elk, deer, etc.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
What ever you get make sure it has a meat shelf. I just got back from Newfoundland. I jammed a hind quarter in a Cabelas back pack and it was very loose and shaky. Next load I used the guides pack board with a meat shelf.
Huge difference.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like the Barney’s frame packs for hauling moose. My kifaru tactical frame with the cargo net is ok too.

I use either my 2000 era Gen 1 Kifaru hunter that has an open bag and true shelf or the 2017 Kifaru Reckoning on the latest frame. The bag on it is actually better than the old Kifaru as the opening is larger to stuff meat in and has more straps to compress it.

Hard work,even with a great frame, bag, shelf, etc. Good luck!

Jimss

WKR
Top on my list would be Barney's, Stone Glacier, or KIfaru with a 7,000 cu in or larger bag. Kifaru frame and belts are tough to beat for confort when hauling extremely bulky/heavy loads. You want a frame designed for 100+ lb loads.

hodgeman

WKR
I've used a Mystery Ranch NICE frame with a load sling on several moose. I hate sticking meat down in a pack bag. The load sling works pretty darn well.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I've humped several bulls with a KUIU ICON 5200...the load sling/shelf worked great and the various strapping points that are built into the pack were perfect to secure each load, even the tall front quarters...no complaints at all.

I more recently got the ICON Pro 5200, which I've taken sheep hunting, but I still grab my original ICON when packing for moose each fall. I'm sure the Pro would do the job.

I know several people who have Stone Glacier packs, and they love them. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably get a SG.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a SG for my Alaska hunting. I went with the Sky Guide 7900 because I want to run some 7+ backpack/mountain style hunts and I like that it compresses down to a 4500cuin pack which works for day hunts. After moving 4 moose this year with my eberlestock dragonfly I’m drawn to being able to put the meat between the frame and the pack. With an empty pack, it hauled the meat just fine because of how everything straps in. However just the other day I had a small cow quarter on the back of the main pouch full of layers and other crap and it sucked even though it wasn’t any wear near my heaviest load this year. Just so far from the spine made it difficult.

For size and weight reference you should be able to put a full 15 gallon water jug in your pack. That’s roughly 130lbs and it’s fairly close in size to a moose quarter. If you get a big moose though even that will be light in comparison to those quarters. Good luck with your search.

Following.

Been leaning towards Barney's frame with a high capacity Cabela's bag. Can't remember what bag is called, but she folks have use it on that frame and liked it.

VernAK

WKR
I would think it's much easier to lash a moose rack and skull on a frame pack rather than a soft pack.

FYI.......I weighed the cape from a 62" bull this year and it came in at 86 pounds. Always knew they were damned heavy and now I know.

PA Hunter

WKR
Want to start researching backpacks for my 2020 AK moose hunt. I found some older threads on the subject, but figure there's been improvements/upgrades since those posts. Since this may be my only moose hunt, I want something that I can use for elk, deer, etc.
I have debated between the Barney pack and Kifaru Fulcrum for about a year and also the Stone Glacier. I have decided on the Fulcrum because I can bone out moose where I am going in Alaska. I also do Newfoundland for moose and out west for Elk. For me it’s a versatile pack and I know bomb proof. It’s also a bit lighter maybe 2 lbs or so so compared to the Barney’s so on a super cub ounces count. I would love a Barney pack but I think for me the Kifaru is better suited.

mitschkeb

FNG
No matter what pack you decide make sure to bring extra buckles and straps had 1 buckle and 2 attachment points tear loose on a brand new kifaru tactical frame this year almost left us in a bad spot for packing

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
My guide in British Columbia used a kifaru. He helped me pack out my moose, We weighted the pack back at camp still fully loaded it was 124 pounds, I used a stone glacier it worked well with game bags as we boned out the quarters.

Attachments

• 38D630BF-F8B8-459C-AF72-9E39AFBCC8D3.jpeg
    38D630BF-F8B8-459C-AF72-9E39AFBCC8D3.jpeg
    574.5 KB · Views: 101

Cana

FNG
I’ve had great luck with heavy loads in my SG solo. I’m sure all these packs are great, though Argali game bags are some of the best out there IMO

I give you guys a lot of credit. I would never consider packing out anything more than a deer. In fact, I'm at the age where I gladly tip the guides really well to do all the work.

Took 4 guys, and a winch to get my Moose onto the argo.

cnelk

WKR
I was missing my Kelty Cache Hauler big time on this trip.

DO NOT USE a frame like this!

JaX3idS.jpg