Which ballistic app/program is most accurate?

What are you guys using to get the most accurate velocity and drop at longer ranges?

Comparing Hornady, Nikon, Zeiss, Ballistic arc and SBC apps, I get several hundred FPS different between the apps at 600 yards and drop in inches is all over the map. All of the environmental and bullet details are entered the same into all of the apps so not sure how there’s such a large discrepancy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried strelok? I plan on buying a kestrel one of these days to play around with. I'm still a believer range practice and shooting in the same environment that you plan to hunt in. Apps will give you a ballpark, but never have been dead on for me.

ericF

WKR
I think you will find that Applied Ballistics is probably the most well regarded. My personal opinion is that Strelok would be next over the apps you mentioned.

Be careful comparing two dissimilar things that appear to be similar. For example I was messing with my Kestrel elite and comparing some data to Strelok+ at 100 yards. The applied ballistics was giving me a value that was an inch different at 100 yards with a 100 yard zero and I could figure out why it was off. Eventually realized that I had a strong wind in both, but only the applied ballistics factored in the twist rate against the wind and compensated for it, but you had to go up to the Strelok Pro to get the twist rate factored into the direction of the wind.

Flyjunky

WKR
Several hundred fps difference at 600 yards?!? Are you positive all the inputs are the same?

I use Applied Ballistics, Hornady 4DoF, JBM, BallisticArc, Leica's solver, & probably a few others, and I've not had much trouble lining-up solutions to real world DOPE beyond 1,000 yards. This includes shooting into transonic with a couple rifles.

Here's a reality that some guys/gals have a tough time accepting: software needs to match real world & you will very likely need to true-up your software. Make sure the variables that you can control are input correctly (zero range, zero offsets, scope height above bore, environmentals are accurate, etc.). I've then typically adjusted MV based on real world hits at +/-700 yards, and then fine tuned BC if needed out at distance. The adjustments to MV & BC should be MINOR - if not, you probably have an error somewhere in your inputs.

Great advice! Real world results vs software is the key as software is theoretical until proven.

Also, several hundred fps off, something is wrong with your inputs.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
I think you will find that Applied Ballistics is probably the most well regarded. My personal opinion is that Strelok would be next over the apps you mentioned.

Be careful comparing two dissimilar things that appear to be similar. For example I was messing with my Kestrel elite and comparing some data to Strelok+ at 100 yards. The applied ballistics was giving me a value that was an inch different at 100 yards with a 100 yard zero and I could figure out why it was off. Eventually realized that I had a strong wind in both, but only the applied ballistics factored in the twist rate against the wind and compensated for it, but you had to go up to the Strelok Pro to get the twist rate factored into the direction of the wind.

You're actually referring to aerodynamic jump. I've found the Kestrel Elite/AB to be better than the others I've used, especially at extreme range where you can tune the drop scale factor at transonic/subsonic ranges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have several. Never seen a meaningfull difference between apps so long as data was the same. Some factor in bullet spin and spin of the earth. Some this is selectable. Ect…………. Sounds like your barometric pressure (density altitude) was significantly off between apps, or you had one set to G1 but entered a G7 BC or vice versa.

My favorite is the app "Shooter". I like it for its ease of entry, ease of changing between loads and rifles, and cause it outputs the stability factor. Has a pretty decent bullet library as well, though most of my entries are manual entries.

I find some of the other apps to be so feature rich that they end up being complicated and cumbersome.

Some one mentioned zero offset, I see vertical and horizontal offset in strelok pro, is this some correction factor for app to app or where does this come from? I was able to enter these offsets to help correct strelok to my sig sauer 2400 abs readings, but not sure that is correct way to go, just that the offsets existing in Strelok and not in Sig app. Strelok is probably correct to real world as I used it to zero, but I am getting same velocity at 750 yds in both apps, but more drop in Sig app and not sure where it is coming from or best way to to correct to Strelok. Environmental conditions appears to be the same in both apps and using density altitude. from SIG on both sides.