Which Basspro Kayak?

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Hi, guys I'm looking at buying one (or two) kayaks from Basspro I have a lot of gift cards and would like to use them. I'd primarily like to fish with the kayak and on the odd occasion use one to get me into a waterfowl hunting location. I'll be fishing smaller lakes and then small rivers in waders, hopping out once I reach an area I want to fish. I like the sit in design to stay drier but I'm concerned about using waders with the design. Please let me know what your experiences or thoughts are with these

H10

10t

FS10

I've read some reviews from other sites and they seem fairly equal but I dont have much experience with fishing kayaks, only cheapos.

Any insight is appreciated!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d look at the seating construction on budget boats like those. My friend got an ascend 14 foot canoe with a tea some for a motor, the boat is surprisingly sea worthy for such a cheap canoe but the seat frames are made of cheap tube metal and the straps suck.

Personally I would avoid those three. I had the ascend 12t, it was my first kayak, it was like you were paddling a barge. That being said it was super stable which is what some guys want. I do a fair amount of paddling up a river so I got a 13’ 27”beam kayak that isn’t as stable but much better to paddle, still a sit on top. I paddle my new kayak with minimal effort faster than I could sprint for 1 min in an ascend. Spent time in sit ins, personally I like sit on tops but some sit ins paddle well. If you go with someone else and have a put in and pull out vehicle those will work great, if just one vehicle I’d look for something else for rivers. Comes down to stability or paddle-ability.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I’d look at the seating construction on budget boats like those. My friend got an ascend 14 foot canoe with a tea some for a motor, the boat is surprisingly sea worthy for such a cheap canoe but the seat frames are made of cheap tube metal and the straps suck.
Good to know! I've seen salt water kills these seats in a hurry.
Personally I would avoid those three. I had the ascend 12t, it was my first kayak, it was like you were paddling a barge. That being said it was super stable which is what some guys want. I do a fair amount of paddling up a river so I got a 13’ 27”beam kayak that isn’t as stable but much better to paddle, still a sit on top. I paddle my new kayak with minimal effort faster than I could sprint for 1 min in an ascend. Spent time in sit ins, personally I like sit on tops but some sit ins paddle well. If you go with someone else and have a put in and pull out vehicle those will work great, if just one vehicle I’d look for something else for rivers. Comes down to stability or paddle-ability.
I've been considering using the gift cards on other stuff hah, it kinda sucks I can only use 5 at one time. This is whats been driving me away from the T model, they look like battleships so I can only imagine paddling one. I'm leaning towards the H10, but Id love a H12 but they stopped carrying it.. Paddling up river is something Id probably have to do as I'm solo often, I kind forgot about that..

KSP277

WKR
If your anywhere close to 200 lb or better, go 12 ft or longer. Especially if your gonna throw some duck hunting gear on board.

I am a kayak junky. I’ve owned about 10-12 different models and have paddled many others. Among those, I have had a D10T, FS12T, and 12T.

My honest opinion is that Ascend kayaks suck. The only thing that (some of them) are good for is stability. They are heavy as **** and terrible to carry due to lacking side handles. I would only consider 12T or the H12 as boats for pond fishing or duck hunting. They are slow as hell to paddle, turn like a barge, and get blown in the wind.

If using gift cards to buy them is the only way they can be afforded, then go for it if it gets you on the water. If you can afford other options, look elsewhere. Vibe is a good value brand that probably has a boat that fits your needs for not much more money.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
It seems like I should really rethink the Ascend thing. The h10 was growing on me but I really need to try find something that I wont outgrow

Take a look at what used kayaks are in your area too, should be plenty with nothing but surface wear. I also wouldn’t be hesitant to look into touring type kayaks, they will paddle better than any fishing kayak, just won’t turn as well in a river since rivers can be narrow and you have current. I think 14’ is about as long as I’d want to go on my medium small sized river. I have also gone more minimal in the kayak and fishing gear. You don’t need as much storage and weight rating as kayak tournament bass guys think. If you want duck gear space, a canoe might be a better choice. You can get those used dirt cheap or there are some really cool solo canoe options out there.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
As a guy who kayak fishes often and duck hunts a little I’d suggest buying used. I owned 5 or 6 kayaks before I found what works for me, everyone is different. I sold the ones I didn’t want anymore for almost as much as I paid For them. You’ll take a beating if you buy those ascends New then try and sell them.

As a guy who kayak fishes often and duck hunts a little I’d suggest buying used. I owned 5 or 6 kayaks before I found what works for me, everyone is different. I sold the ones I didn’t want anymore for almost as much as I paid For them. You’ll take a beating if you buy those ascends New then try and sell them.
Good point. Out of all the kayaks I’ve owned, only my last one, a Coosa HD was purchased new (though I waited for winter clearance sales). It took a long time to find the best boat for me.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Thats another thing I usually do is find steals on used boats/kayaks, Im always browsing local classifieds but I have the gift cards. The last two kayaks (pelican and Field and Stream) I had were less than enjoyable for paddling or seat reasons..but they would've been fine for the person doing shorter trips or bobbing around with a bobber. I don't want to repeat that.

I'm going to hold off on the yak purchase through BP/Cabelas and use the gift cards on a 1hp grinder when it comes back in stock and maybe a pair boots.