Which Benchmade Knife

accumax

FNG
I have the Saddle Mountain Skinner and love it. I also have the BM Altitude. The SMS is an incredible value IMO. I think you'll be happy with your choice!

BigPrince

FNG
I love both my Saddle mountain skinner and Crooked River. I think the skinner is may favorite knife for breaking down an animal along with my filet knife. The crooked river is probably my favorite folder though I don't use it for hard tasks and is my nicer attire folder.

MThuntr

WKR
I really like my Steep Country. Gutless method 1 elk and field dressed 2 deer and it was still sharp. I sent it to Benchmade and they touched it up to shaving sharp in a few days.

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
Do most guys with the steep country have the solid blade or gut hook blade?

KBC

WKR
I shot my first deer last fall, field dressed it, took it home and butchered it all with my saddle mountain skinner with the factory edge. I’m not sure if I need to sharpen it yet it’s still that sharp.
The last 5 years I’ve carried a Benchmade violli sp? With the same steel. I use it Fairly often and rarely sharpen it. It does take longer to sharpen but I think it’s worth it.

mmac

WKR
I have had the saddle mountain and couldn't be happier. Can easily handle an elk before sharpening, can get razor sharp and hold an edge, great grip and balance.

Have steep country gut hook in orange and its a good knife,have a comperable knife fro winkler knives and its crazy good. Spendy but Damn nice knife.

Saddle Mountain Skinner. Great for breaking down wet wood, using around camp, and with out a doubt will process an animal. I use a havalon for that but needed a great camp knife. I am a believer in carrying 2 knives.
Havalon- for the animal, then the Saddle Mtn Skinner for regular chores

I was issued a presidio 154 in 2004 (USMC). I still have it and use it everyday. I recently bought two new ones for my kids. I can’t imagine a better, longer lasting knife.

I prefer the s90v blades from them to the s30v. They just re-released a bunch of their knives with s90v and a 15° edge i think which is awesome. I use same bench system to touch up my knives that i use for my valkyrie broadheads, super fast and easy. I used to bring my knives in for benchmade to sharpen occasionally since i lived nearby but moved across town and cant believe i wasn't sharpening stuff myself all these years lol. If you want a lightweight fixed knife i really like the altitude. I recently got a mini freek and i really like it for an edc, it has the s90v and i put a 15° edge on it, its a beautiful knife.. So light that I'll bring it backpacking along to compliment the altitude and my goat knife

I have a Mini Crooked River from their custom shop and I'd highly recommend it. Although mini is in the name it is a great size. The standard crooked river is quite large. Also from the custom shop you can select from a ton of different blade steels, handle materials/colors, etc.

Last edited:

qwerksc

WKR
I have a Bugout, 940, Kulgara and one that no one needs to know about. I have an extensive knife collection and I will say, Benchmade is a solid foundation to grow on. Stay Sharp!

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
Steep Country is a great knife. The bush crafter is heavy for gutting and skinning. I prefer a thinner blade for processing game.