Which big three for idaho?

Pwells10

WKR
Wasn't sure where to post this so I decided on the moose section.

I want to start putting in for one of the big 3. I have my units set where I'd put in for.

Just curious what everyone else would do if they were in my position.

Moose, big horn, mtn goat? And why?

All units I am interested in are about the same % to draw.

I'm 25. Decent shape but will be in great shape come next season.

All advice and input welcome.

gfreidy

WKR
Apply for sheep since you are young! Moose can hopefully be hunted when you are older :). Just don’t apply in my unit...lol!

GregB

WKR
Since the draws are random pick the one you want to hunt the most and apply. Chances are you will only draw one of the 3 in your life.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since the draws are random pick the one you want to hunt the most and apply. Chances are you will only draw one of the 3 in your life.
Odds are you'll draw NONE of the three in your life. I agree pick whichever you want most and throw your name in the hat.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Pwells10

Pwells10

WKR
Thanks guys. I most likely won't draw. I haven't drawn since I was thirteen on elk. Never drawn antelope or deer. Luck of the draw though

Broomd

WKR
If you live in Idaho the odds of drawing all of those tags are very good. I drew all four within ten years and so has my good friend. He filled all but his moose due to fires, and I filled all but my Rocky due to fires.

It's a great system for locals and not bad for NR either.

OP
Pwells10

Pwells10

WKR
If you live in Idaho the odds of drawing all of those tags are very good. I drew all four within ten years and so has my good friend. He filled all but his moose due to fires, and I filled all but my Rocky due to fires.

It's a great system for locals and not bad for NR either.
Did you put in every season? Thats awesome you drew them. You have better odds of drawing the big three than I do of elk and deer haha

Broomd

WKR
That's exactly right! I've put wife and I in for deer and elk for a couple years and, you guessed it, NADA.

I put in for OIL 2009-2018 for all but one year and drew all four OIL tags. Wife has drawn one, mountain goat. But I've put her in sparingly.

Buddy did his OIL 1998-2013 for all four and he skipped a couple of years for deer and elk draws. It's easier to draw a Res. bighorn sheep tag here than it is a quality mule deer tag. I learned that early on and seized on it...

OP
Pwells10

Pwells10

WKR
That's exactly right! I've put wife and I in for deer and elk for a couple years and, you guessed it, NADA.

I put in for OIL 2009-2018 for all but one year and drew all four OIL tags. Wife has drawn one, mountain goat. But I've put her in sparingly.

Buddy did his OIL 1998-2013 for all four and he skipped a couple of years for deer and elk draws. It's easier to draw a Res. bighorn sheep tag here than it is a quality mule deer tag. I learned that early on and seized on it...
That's crazy! I know a few that draw some amazing tags every other year. I can't lol

Broomd

WKR
Stick with it, Wells. It will happen.
And btw..it's big four:

Rocky bighorn
California bighorn
Moose
Mountain goat.
:)

OP
Pwells10

Pwells10

WKR
Stick with it, Wells. It will happen.
And btw..it's big four:

Rocky bighorn
California bighorn
Moose
Mountain goat.
:)
Oh I actually thought you had to choose one or the other on sheep haha. Good to know!