Which Bike?

Poser

WKR
Well, the Timberjack I had been eyeballing at a local shop sold and there are no more available this year. They have all 2017 stock on sale at $500-$700 off. They have a Salsa Woodsmoke but it's a medium frame which is a little small for me. They also have one of these Advocate Haydukes. It's a steel frame. I checked some reviews and they all rave about it. I may demo it this weekend. Hayduke

It's a pretty versatile bike. Advocate is a new company who dedicate 100% of their profits to bicycle advocacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
that Hayduke is a sweet riding bike. I rode one this spring, they had a large frame and i need an XL. Sweet bike though

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
Found a used surly krampus in last years model (green frame). Shipping out on Monday. Anyone have any tips for needed upgrades and packing bags and such?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Defiant Pack, Rogue Panda, Revelate, they all make great bags

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RBNM

FNG
Found a used surly krampus in last years model (green frame). Shipping out on Monday. Anyone have any tips for needed upgrades and packing bags and such?

Revelate frame bags are sold directly to surly and they will have a "custom" fit for your Krampus.

I found this site really helpful: Complete Guide to Bikepacking Bags - BIKEPACKING.com

Since your older Krampus won't have places to mount a rack on the back(as far as I can tell) you may want to go with the bikepacking style framebags and seat post bags, with a nice roll for the bars.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
Got the bike Thursday, put it together and went out and rode about 10 miles. Definitely the nicest bike I've ever owned. Plan to take it out on some single tracks this weekend and varied surfaces. I will say the 29x3 knards look huge from the cock pit. They hum like a worn set of mud tires on a pick up and aren't the easiest to get going and can be bit stubborn if you're not in the right gear. They do feel super stable and make you feel like you can roll over just about anything.

Overall I'm happy with the bike and think it will work well for my uses. Might have to switch out some parts to really get it where I want but so far so good.

Hope I have time to take it on a weekend bikepacking trip before the season starts.

a96f12538b3d2b57d08db3b6c49effd0.jpg

Muttly

WKR
Just out of curiosity, a little over a year after the fact, how are you liking the bike?
Getting curious about that particular rig, getting the hairball idea to use a bike for hunting..