Which Bino adapter

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
So I finally just ordered a Swarovski SLC 10x42 binos from S and S archery. (Love dealing with those guys BTW) I’m wondering which bino adapter most guys are running with their tripod? Thanks!

TravisIN

WKR
I have the tall for my 10x42 SLCs. Talks work for every bino where the short doesn’t of you ever get 15s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
The outdoorsmans is great if you want to spend the money. Field optics research is a great option for the money also.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Kramer Designs. I had Outdoorsman's and sold it to get the Kramer. Much easier release mechanism. Just my 2 cents.

samolot

FNG
Just another 2 cents: Probably not recommended for the SLC where the tripod adapter screws off, but for folks with the EL or the Zeiss SF that need to be sent in for stud mounting, there is a simple, and cheaper option

Nice mount. The green color matches the swaros. Cheaper too.

WKR
I have the Kramer Designs, and the Outdoorsman. I prefer the Kramer Designs option and will sell the Outdoorsman.

Last edited:

pirogue

WKR
The Outdoorsman adapter is built for strength but not ergonomics. As the stud is mounted in the objective lens hinge, this is forward of the center of the binos. This creates a longer radius(center of tripod to bino lens) and greater panning circumference, as compared to the cheaper strap on adapters that allow center of binos to be placed directly over center of tripod. The longer the binos, 12 and 15, the longer the radius. So extended glassing, especially panning, with the Outdoorsman leads to more head and upper body movement. Another disadvantage of the Outdoorsman compared to the strap on type, is the binos have to be spread, to fit over the stud, and then remelded(2 viewing barrels into one)

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Outdoorsman adapter is built for strength but not ergonomics. As the stud is mounted in the objective lens hinge, this is forward of the center of the binos. This creates a longer radius(center of tripod to bino lens) and greater panning circumference, as compared to the cheaper strap on adapters that allow center of binos to be placed directly over center of tripod. The longer the binos, 12 and 15, the longer the radius. So extended glassing, especially panning, with the Outdoorsman leads to more head and upper body movement. Another disadvantage of the Outdoorsman compared to the strap on type, is the binos have to be spread, to fit over the stud, and then remelded(2 viewing barrels into one)
Ummm... no they don't. You slide them right on from behind the post and you don't have to move the barrels at all. I haven't found a strap on bino mount that didn't look like trash and function the same. The odds of breaking that rubber strap is way higher than the Outdoorsmans post breaking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pirogue

WKR
Ummm... no they don't. You slide them right on from behind the post and you don't have to move the barrels at all. I haven't found a strap on bino mount that didn't look like trash and function the same. The odds of breaking that rubber strap is way higher than the Outdoorsmans post breaking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Well you must have an enormous sized head with eyes about 4" apart, or some brand other than Swarovski.

+1 for the tall Outdoorsmans bino adapter.

Another advantage is that the profile of the stud secures the binocular into the binocular adapter without needing to lock it in place. So, when your panning to the left/right the binoculars can self level, if the tripod legs aren’t adjusted perfectly and the panning head isn’t exactly level in the horizontal plane.

I’m reminded of this feature every time I switch from my 15Xs with OD bino adapter, to my BTXs mounted directly to my panning head.

Yeah, technically you can fiddle with your tripod legs and get them adjusted perfectly every time. But, in reality that’s prolly not gonna happen.

OP
Travis2282

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
Well I ordered the outdoorsman tall tonite along with the swaro stud. Somehow I managed to talk myself into a window mount, a quick release adapter and plate that will go on my slik 634 with sirui va-5 head. So now I can interchange my spotter and binos with my tripod and window mount. Hope I love this set up!

Dschwan

WKR
Well I ordered the outdoorsman tall tonite along with the swaro stud. Somehow I managed to talk myself into a window mount, a quick release adapter and plate that will go on my slik 634 with sirui va-5 head. So now I can interchange my spotter and binos with my tripod and window mount. Hope I love this set up!

How do you like the VA-5?