Which Bivy - EE, Borah, TiGoat

n2horns

WKR
I am trying to figure out the best options on a bivy. I am 6' 230, sleep on a Exped downmat ul7 lw, with an EE quilt 40* and 0* quilts. I read the EE review that being on fuller mat, you get your face into the netting.

Is there bivy that works best or do more custom work on an existing one? I see Borah will do more custom work, has anyone asked EE about extra work, like adding lift points, or making the bivy a little taller?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
stand alone bivy (waterproof) or in conjunction with a tarp ( water resistant)?

I’d add Mountain Laurel Designs to you list for either

All the manufacturers you list are very approachable, I’ve done business with all; I’d suggest calling and going over what sleep system you’re wanting to incorporate with a bivy, larger pads and higher loft bags need special consideration

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
For these types of bivys, I don't expect a bunch of space between my head and the netting. I have the TIgoat Raven with netting which I really like and have used for years. It doesn't have any lift points so when the netting is zipped all the way up it rests on you. The EE that I'm testing now has a lift point at the head and foot ends which work well imo. There isn't a lot of room but it keeps the netting off my face if I'm laying on my back.

Tick

WKR
Just ordered a Borah Gear yesterday to try out. Communicated with John my body size, pad size, bag size, and what I expected out of the bivy. No problem getting the modifications at a very reasonable price.

OP
n2horns

n2horns

WKR
Tick - would like to hear how you like the changes.

I have time next week and will make some calls to the companies.

Ruskin

WKR
I’ve not noticed the net against me (maybe it’s just me). I did like a long side zip to make getting in and out easier.

Borah Gear made me a custom eVent SnowySide bivy that was over sized (96 x 36) and had a center zipper to match my Kifaru Slick Bag. Excellent work and would gladly purchase another custom product from John without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk