Which Black Gold Sight? (or other brand)

treillw

WKR
Looking for a sight to shoot out to 100 yards with. Want it fully functional for elk hunting at all distances (up close) - not shooting 100 at elk. Live in MT, put tons of miles on with bow in hand every year. Black Gold has a couple that look interesting, but I'm not 100% clear on the differences. This is what I gather from the website:

- Ascent Verdict - seems to be their standard sight.
- Ascent Verdict Assault - from what I gather it's the same as the verdict, but with micro adjustments for sighting in? Worth getting?
- Mountain Lite - Says it's lighter than the others, but I don't see a weight on the website?? I would imagine it's only an ounce or two lighter than the Ascent Verdict. How much do you loose in features for the minimal weight savings?

I'm thinking of going with a 5 pin. Any reason to consider another number of pins?

Any other sights out there that are worth considering?

Thanks!

The good thing about MBG, especially if you order through S&S, is that you can custom build a sight. I went with a Rush and upgraded the mounting bracket to get 3rd angle adjustment. I wanted something simple, rugged, and light.

You can spec the number and size/color of pins. I went with a 4 pin - the 1st is .029, the 2nd and 3rd are .019, and the 4th is .010. Simple, no moving parts, customizable.

Shooting out to 100 will change things a bit. I have my 4 pin set up for 20, 30, 40, & 50. I'm not sure I would like a 7 pin sight or similar, so maybe an adjustable is best for you.

Have you considered the new Garmin sight?

87TT

WKR
I have two MBG Assent Verdicts. One I bought used is a five pin with micro gang adjusts. Not a big deal and is nice when setting up but not sure I would pay extra for it. Both have the bottom pin (floater for me) a size smaller .010 vs .019 on the other pins. I like S&S's custom so I could pick my sizes and colors. (I hate red pins) I also would go with the dovetail mount. Makes adjusting for the peep easier. I also have a Rush with 6 pins that I had on my backup bow until I bought the used Assent Verdict. Now both bows are set up identical.

I have two MBG Assent Verdicts. One I bought used is a five pin with micro gang adjusts. Not a big deal and is nice when setting up but not sure I would pay extra for it. Both have the bottom pin (floater for me) a size smaller .010 vs .019 on the other pins. I like S&S's custom so I could pick my sizes and colors. (I hate red pins) I also would go with the dovetail mount. Makes adjusting for the peep easier. I also have a Rush with 6 pins that I had on my backup bow until I bought the used Assent Verdict. Now both bows are set up identical.

I hated the red pin on my old sight, but on my Rush, it is the brightest one! Sort of surprising...if I had known that, I would've ordered the pins in different colors than I did. Maybe that is just to my eyes though.

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the Accent Verdict but recently purchased the MBG Pro sight with micro everything. I’m really liking it. The accent was great once everything was sighted in but not having micro was a pain. Want to make a small windage adjustment loosen the screw and slide housing to far then have to slide back. Now it’s loosen screw and a few clicks and the pin is where it needs to be. All MBG sights are great and I never had an issue with the accent I’m just being picky.

I went with 4 all .010 pins and set at 20,30,40,50. I ordered mine from S&S and it was delivered quickly even with the custom pin options.

I would definitely order from S&S. They also offer a Rokslide discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Best place to buy one? Do they ever go on sale? I'm not in a hurry.

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
The good thing about MBG, especially if you order through S&S, is that you can custom build a sight. I went with a Rush and upgraded the mounting bracket to get 3rd angle adjustment. I wanted something simple, rugged, and light.

You can spec the number and size/color of pins. I went with a 4 pin - the 1st is .029, the 2nd and 3rd are .019, and the 4th is .010. Simple, no moving parts, customizable.

Shooting out to 100 will change things a bit. I have my 4 pin set up for 20, 30, 40, & 50. I'm not sure I would like a 7 pin sight or similar, so maybe an adjustable is best for you.

Have you considered the new Garmin sight?

if you order through S&S make sure to enter "rokslide" as your coupon code to get a discount

I have been using the Accent Verdict but recently purchased the MBG Pro sight with micro everything. I’m really liking it. The accent was great once everything was sighted in but not having micro was a pain. Want to make a small windage adjustment loosen the screw and slide housing to far then have to slide back. Now it’s loosen screw and a few clicks and the pin is where it needs to be. All MBG sights are great and I never had an issue with the accent I’m just being picky.

I went with 4 all .010 pins and set at 20,30,40,50. I ordered mine from S&S and it was delivered quickly even with the custom pin options.

I would definitely order from S&S. They also offer a Rokslide discount.

I’m in the market for my first slider and the pro looks hard to beat. I’ll probably go 3 pin on mine though

I like MBG Ascent sliders. Mine are 5-pin sliders on the Whitetail base, with the short axle on the adjustment wheel. The standard axle is so long the wheel sticks way out and catches more willow brush when I am hunting caribou and moose. I use .019" pins as I can't see the 0.010" pins well enough to use them in all light conditions. I hate red pins, so alternate green and yellow. Red pins don't align with the other two colors due to wearing glasses and getting a prism effect. You likely wouldn't have the problem, but might be a problem if you wear glasses. Good luck!

BigWoods

WKR
A Black Gold rep told me that all the sights this year will be machined with the dual indicator slots so whether or not you go with the Mountain Lite, you can add that later.

Personally I'm springing for the Mt. Lite as soon as they are on the shelf locally... hopefully this week.

I run several of the Tommy Hogg sights with a 5 pin housing. I run 25-65 fixed and and depending on setup can dial for targets 100-140+ yards for targets.

Just offering your other options.

Also like the option sight. Only problem is you can't move the housing so you might only get to 80 or so with the mover.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
My Mtn. Lite arrived yesterday. Still waiting for my VXR 31.5 to put it on. My first slider, went with three pins. This thing is light.

Moneyball

WKR
I’ve had a MBG custom pro from S&S for about a year and use it for primarily elk hunting. PM me if you want to know any details about it. I really like it.