Which boot Lathrop and sons or crispi?

I know this has been discussed in some detail but I wanted some additional help with a new boot purchase. I'll start off by saying, I've never found a boot that doesn't cause my feet problems. I usually hike 8 to 10 miles a day and after 10 days my feet are covered in tape. Lol

Im looking for a new boot to take to SE alaska or Kodiak in early August to hunt deer. Im leaning towards Crispi or Lathrop & Sons. I will be backpacking my camp into the mountains. So, I'll have a decent load on my back and will be dealing with alot of rain.

First hand advice would be greatly appreciated with either of these two brands. Yes, I have tried every boot over the last 20 years with the same result besides these two brands.

Looney

FNG
I live in Kodiak and spend a good deal of time in the mountains chasing deer. This was my 4th season running my crispi guides. They've been awesome boots and the durability has been outstanding. I'm very hard on boots and put miles on them pretty much 12 months a year and have no complaints. Looking at replacing them this year and I'm eyeing the Briksdal reaaaal hard for a bit stiffer boot as I'll be chasing goats and sheep this year and could probably use a little more.

OP
Huntforever
Did you replace the insoles? I hear alot of hunters using sheeps feet and etc.

Looney

FNG
I did, but only this year after having three seasons on them. It was absolutely an improvement, but It can't be dismissed that the factory insoles already had many miles on them. Pulled the trigger on the briksdals after commenting this morning, so I'll see how the comparison is when I get them.

Spoonman

WKR
I live in Kodiak and spend a good deal of time in the mountains chasing deer. This was my 4th season running my crispi guides. They've been awesome boots and the durability has been outstanding. I'm very hard on boots and put miles on them pretty much 12 months a year and have no complaints. Looking at replacing them this year and I'm eyeing the Briksdal reaaaal hard for a bit stiffer boot as I'll be chasing goats and sheep this year and could probably use a little more.
Your Crispi’s haven’t leaked? My brother hasn’t had a pair last more than a year here in western Washington. The leak like crazy right around a year of use. I had a pair do the same thing then I switched to Scarpa and have yet to have any issues at all. He has the summits and my guess is all the seems and partial synthetic material as opposed to all leather?

Looney

FNG
Your Crispi’s haven’t leaked? My brother hasn’t had a pair last more than a year here in western Washington. The leak like crazy right around a year of use. I had a pair do the same thing then I switched to Scarpa and have yet to have any issues at all.
Mine have been completely watertight (tested frequently with creek crossings and,, Kodiak...) until a few months ago. The pinch point in the back of the boot finally broke down and lets a little water in. I actually just shoe goed it and hopefully that'll solve it. Again, after such use and abuse I'm very impressed with their waterproofness.

TX_Diver

WKR
I've had both. The L&S boots were the nicest construction out of any I've had (L&S, Lowa, Crispi, and Merrill). If the L&S last fits your feet that would be my vote.

Stephen and James Lathrop were great to work with. Ultimately the L&S boot didn't work for my foot so we went to a Lowa Tibet though. Also a good boot but the construction/quality seems to be a step down from the Lathrops. Right now I've got Crispi Colorado's and Lowa Tibets. I like both and will use the colorado's in the early season and the Lowa's later. Jury is still out on long term durability.

I beat the crap out of the L&S boots in New Mexico and they held up great (not the ones in the photo).

Some pics from last years boot testing. I ordered from BlackOvis and GoHunt, found my size, and wore them around the house a bit to figure out what worked for me. Not all boots shown in the pictures. Yes it was expensive (temporarily) Both companies were fantastic to work with on the phone and with their return policies though. I tried on the following.
L&S Mountain Hunters
Crispi Colorado
Crispi Guide
Crispi Nevada
Crispi Wyoming
Crispi Idaho
Crispi Valdres
Lowa Tibet

L&S by far had the nicest construction. Seemed to have thicker/stiffer leather. Waterproofing is eVent rather than goretex. Lacing system was great as well but the ankle area had a lot of volume and my chicken legs wanted to move around unless i really cranked them tight. Rubber rand is thick and held up well through the Florida mountains in New Mexico. Great customer service.

Crispi's seemed to have very soft/supple leather. Potentially a bit thinner than the others but that's a subjective comment. I suspect that's why many people find them the most comfortable out of the box though. I archery elk hunted with the colorado's and they kept my feet dry. I also wore them in the snow in October in WY and didn't have any issues (I re-waterproofed them between hunts w/ Granger Repel). I put the L&S insoles in them. Good stiffness/rocker. Lacing system is fine but not as nice as L&S or Lowa. I really wanted to like the Nevada's but the toebox was ever so slightly different than the CO's and my foot slipped a bit due to the heel pocket. I did not like the Idahos/wyomings due to the heel pocket. Valdres aren't as heavy duty of a boot. Lacing is good but nothing special. Only 2 tabs above the lock until you get to the 10" boots.

Lowas - I haven't hunted in these yet. I wore Camino GTXs in 2018 and liked them but ultimately ended with blisters so I returned them to REI. They kept me dry through some major rainstorms. The Caminos appear to be well made and a little heavier duty construction than the crispis (again a subjective opinion). I will start wearing these with a weighted pack in spring. I bought these through L&S and they modified the toebox for me to eliminate a little bit of rubbing when I tried them on. Jury is out but I think they'll be good. Good lacing system w/ 3 posts above the lock. Also has a locking tab at the top of the foot before you get to the ankle lock so you can truly independently tension the top and bottom portion of the boot without any special knots. Also has a post in the middle of the tongue to keep it centered which I like.

Some of the contenders. L&S are in the middle w/ no box.
N8pbRQdl.jpg

Valdres, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, L&S
DOkH1UUl.jpg

Nevada and L&S
wPBHFDVl.jpg

Nevada and Tibet
ij6l5Xbl.jpg

Nevada and Tibet
gmGcouDl.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Huntforever
Thanks for the great post!! Did you try the Crispi Hunter or any of thr GTX models? Only based on reading I seem to like the hunters GTX or Guide GTX.

Why did you stay away from the GTX models?

TX_Diver

WKR
Thanks for the great post!! Did you try the Crispi Hunter or any of thr GTX models? Only based on reading I seem to like the hunters GTX or Guide GTX.

Why did you stay away from the GTX models?
I think all are the GTX models (I think stands for goretex?). I did try the guides, did not try the hunters.

Guides are a 10" version of the Nevada if I remember right? I liked the Nevada's but couldn't fix the heel slip so I tried the guides hoping the additional lacing would help. I found them to be very similar. If you want a 10" boot guides would be a good option.

The L&S boots were custom fit. We got close but never got it too fit like a custom boot should. The Tibets are also custom fit with an adjustment to the heel pocket of 1 boot, and a little material molded/removed on from each toe-box.

TX_Diver

WKR
I didnt realize the tibets were custom built.

I believe they will modify other boots they sell if you want or if your foot doesn't work with their boot. The tibet was their other recommendation during the initial consult. I wanted to try their boot though so we went down that path.

I know this has been discussed in some detail but I wanted some additional help with a new boot purchase. I'll start off by saying, I've never found a boot that doesn't cause my feet problems. I usually hike 8 to 10 miles a day and after 10 days my feet are covered in tape. Lol

Im looking for a new boot to take to SE alaska or Kodiak in early August to hunt deer. Im leaning towards Crispi or Lathrop & Sons. I will be backpacking my camp into the mountains. So, I'll have a decent load on my back and will be dealing with alot of rain.

First hand advice would be greatly appreciated with either of these two brands. Yes, I have tried every boot over the last 20 years with the same result besides these two brands.
There’s a great review/ thread on the Crispi Guide.. that’s what I went with

I really want to love crispi’s, but I just got done with a rough season with a pair of guides and just wasn’t I love. I am debating whether or not I want to try a different crispi or swallow the pill in pay for Lathrop and sons. The boot struggle is no joke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shudspeth

FNG
I've had both. The L&S boots were the nicest construction out of any I've had (L&S, Lowa, Crispi, and Merrill). If the L&S last fits your feet that would be my vote.

Stephen and James Lathrop were great to work with. Ultimately the L&S boot didn't work for my foot so we went to a Lowa Tibet though. Also a good boot but the construction/quality seems to be a step down from the Lathrops. Right now I've got Crispi Colorado's and Lowa Tibets. I like both and will use the colorado's in the early season and the Lowa's later. Jury is still out on long term durability.

I beat the crap out of the L&S boots in New Mexico and they held up great (not the ones in the photo).

Some pics from last years boot testing. I ordered from BlackOvis and GoHunt, found my size, and wore them around the house a bit to figure out what worked for me. Not all boots shown in the pictures. Yes it was expensive (temporarily) Both companies were fantastic to work with on the phone and with their return policies though. I tried on the following.
L&S Mountain Hunters
Crispi Colorado
Crispi Guide
Crispi Nevada
Crispi Wyoming
Crispi Idaho
Crispi Valdres
Lowa Tibet

L&S by far had the nicest construction. Seemed to have thicker/stiffer leather. Waterproofing is eVent rather than goretex. Lacing system was great as well but the ankle area had a lot of volume and my chicken legs wanted to move around unless i really cranked them tight. Rubber rand is thick and held up well through the Florida mountains in New Mexico. Great customer service.

Crispi's seemed to have very soft/supple leather. Potentially a bit thinner than the others but that's a subjective comment. I suspect that's why many people find them the most comfortable out of the box though. I archery elk hunted with the colorado's and they kept my feet dry. I also wore them in the snow in October in WY and didn't have any issues (I re-waterproofed them between hunts w/ Granger Repel). I put the L&S insoles in them. Good stiffness/rocker. Lacing system is fine but not as nice as L&S or Lowa. I really wanted to like the Nevada's but the toebox was ever so slightly different than the CO's and my foot slipped a bit due to the heel pocket. I did not like the Idahos/wyomings due to the heel pocket. Valdres aren't as heavy duty of a boot. Lacing is good but nothing special. Only 2 tabs above the lock until you get to the 10" boots.

Lowas - I haven't hunted in these yet. I wore Camino GTXs in 2018 and liked them but ultimately ended with blisters so I returned them to REI. They kept me dry through some major rainstorms. The Caminos appear to be well made and a little heavier duty construction than the crispis (again a subjective opinion). I will start wearing these with a weighted pack in spring. I bought these through L&S and they modified the toebox for me to eliminate a little bit of rubbing when I tried them on. Jury is out but I think they'll be good. Good lacing system w/ 3 posts above the lock. Also has a locking tab at the top of the foot before you get to the ankle lock so you can truly independently tension the top and bottom portion of the boot without any special knots. Also has a post in the middle of the tongue to keep it centered which I like.

N8pbRQdl.jpg

DOkH1UUl.jpg

Nevada and L&S
wPBHFDVl.jpg

Nevada and Tibet
ij6l5Xbl.jpg

Nevada and Tibet
gmGcouDl.jpg
How much did the Lathrop and Sons custom boot process cost?

TX_Diver

WKR
How much did the Lathrop and Sons custom boot process cost?
😬 close to $700 (in 2019) or so by the time you add the insoles, custom mods, consult, etc. once your stuff is on file for future purchases you don’t have any of the upfront fees again though. I definitely didn’t realize the full cost going in though (even though I later realized they had outlined it all early on before I committed)

I had great service though and still touch base with James about boot fit each year. If I get a blister or hotspot they are extremely helpful with suggestions, etc. this year they modded my insoles for me at my request at no charge and with a 2 day turnaround. Definitely worth talking to them as they are extremely knowledgeable about boots and may be able to make some recommendations even if you don’t go with theirs.

I did another boot thoughts thread this year and have a few sets at the house to try now too so I’ll post another thread in the next week too.

What boots do you have now or have you liked in the past?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have crispi guides and birkadall SFs. Both are pretty good but I like the birksdall better. I wish the guide was stiffer, I should have gotten the hunter as it’s a taller, stiffer version of the guide. The birksdall has a narrower fit but is stiffer.

Right now though I’m working with a pair of zamberlan mountain treks that are much stiffer than the birksdall.

L&S Mountain Hunters
Crispi Colorado
Crispi Guide
Crispi Nevada
Crispi Wyoming
Crispi Idaho
Crispi Valdres
Lowa Tibet

N8pbRQdl.jpg

DOkH1UUl.jpg

Nevada and L&S
wPBHFDVl.jpg

Nevada and Tibet
ij6l5Xbl.jpg

Nevada and Tibet
gmGcouDl.jpg
Looks like you might have tried on several Colorados...did you find a fit difference for sizing compared to the Valdres? I find the toe box cramped on the Colorados although they are still breaking in. The Valdres for me in the same size is a perfect fit - but that toe box is much wider imo. What did you think about the fit between those 2 Crispi boot models?