Which Budget Bag

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Hi guy, I am starting to gear up for a backpacking trip this summer to SE Idaho, but in reality I am also buying for some Western hunts in the future. I am graduating in May so I am still on my college budget that being said I would like keep in in the $100 range. Id like the bag to be 20-35 degree rating, synthetic fill, and sub 3lbs. I know everyone has strong opinions about more expensive sleep systems and bags but not so much on lower end/cheaper stuff. These are what I've been looking at, can anyone weigh in?

Nemo Forte 35
Big Agnes Buell 30
Marmot Trestles Elite Eco 30
Marmot nanowave 25
Marmot nanowave 35

I like the idea of the Nemo, but still unsure.
I'm 5'11" 200ish lbs and I generally sleep hot. Sleeping pad R value of 3. I guess I'm a little over whelmed with the bag search. Also open to other options any help appreciated

hikenhunt

WKR
For those bags, you need to be a little careful with the ratings. In general, you'll need to add 10 degrees to those ratings if you want to be comfortable. For example, the Marmot Nanowave 25 has a EN lower limit rating (you won't freeze to death) of 29 degrees F and an EN comfort rating of 38 degrees F. Even if you sleep hot, I wouldn't do anything lower than 35 with that bag.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
It really looks like the Mountain Hardware Lumina is great option as Sneaky mentioned and maybe the Northface Cat Meow might be sound options for a few dollars while staying lighter weight. I really liked the Nemo bag shape, but further reviews have led me away. Big Agnes still might be in the running and the lifetime warranty is ideal.
Just a thought regarding budget...
Keep and eye out for a good used one in the Rokslide Classifieds.
Camofire usually has the Black Ovis 20* for $119
REI has some good deals on used ones that are professionally cleaned
I looked a the Black Ovis long ago, but I will revisit it. Thanks I never knew REI had used gear beside garage sales, thanks!!!

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Also remember your sleeping pad is just as important. EN ratings are achieved with 4-season mats, REI states 5.5, but I've also heard 4.8 is the standard just earlier this year.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty set on a Therm-a-Rest Trekker R value of 3 for a pad, its seems to be quality from all of my reading, lifetime warranty and the price is right. I was also looking at the 4 season pad they have as well. From what I've read Therm-a-Rest has been under rating their R values without an industry standardization on a side note.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
An update to my ealier post, the R-Value used to achieve the comfort rating of an EN rated bag is 4.8. I spoke with our mat developer this morning who assisted in also creating the standard for the industry over the past few years. Therm-a-rest and EXPED both had the best outcomes from the standardization. Mats mostly stayed where they were or went up.

ianpadron

WKR
Creep around on here for a good deal on a used high-end bag.

I completely understand the young man budget thing, was in your same shoes a few years ago.

You'll save more $$$ in the long run buying used gear that will last. Trust me.

Cheap synthetic sleeping bags degrade and lose loft unbelievably fast. You'll eventually want a high end bag/quilt anyway, so you might as well get one that will last and help you sleep comfortably right away, even if it costs a little bit more.

Have you considered an Enlightened Equipment APEX quilt? Synthetic but climashield apex which is far more durable than other synthetics, and brand spankin' new will only set you back 180 bucks.

Dont worry I was overwhelmed with my search too. I sent it on a Kelty Cosmic 0 degree bag. I slept in it this past weekend in around mid 20s. Great bag for back sleepers, but the second you break the shoulder baffles trying to side sleep, you get a cold breeze down your back. Over all its pretty good. I think sleeping bags are just a giant universe of unknown.

2ski

WKR
The reality is your first bag for that price won't be a forever bag. But you don't need it to be and it gets you out for now. So even though that EE quilt that was brought up is only $80 more, you're almost doubling your budget. Worry about great stuff a few years down the road. Get stuff to get you out for now that's good enough. I would take Sneaky's advice. He seems to know his sh!t from my experience.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. It looks like I have some more reading to do now.
I understand this budget most likely won't get me into a bag that will be satisfactory for the next 10 years. With that I want it to be lighter weight in case the actual temperature capability decreases over time I still wont mind lugging it around for warmer temps.