Which Budget Bag

isu22andy

WKR
Bump still looking for last minute options ? Anyone have anything ? I sleep cold !

A bunch of us bought the Slumberjack Downwind when they were having a sale. I'm really happy with mine and for a budget bag it's pretty lightweight and compresses down really well.

NEWAoutdoors

Lil-Rokslider
Well i have a 40 cosmic (2 lbs) and i have used it all the way into December probably 15 degrees in a cimarron with stove. Then same setup starting in april. Plenty toasty.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry I've been MIA. I decided to defer my purchase a bit longer so I'm not much help..

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
Lamina series from Mtn Hardware

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How small does the Lamina pack down. I'm a big fan of MH (have a warm weather bag and tent), but read some reviews that the Lamina is pretty big, even packed down.

JRMiller

WKR
For those bags, you need to be a little careful with the ratings. In general, you'll need to add 10 degrees to those ratings if you want to be comfortable. For example, the Marmot Nanowave 25 has a EN lower limit rating (you won't freeze to death) of 29 degrees F and an EN comfort rating of 38 degrees F. Even if you sleep hot, I wouldn't do anything lower than 35 with that bag.
Second that. A sub three pound bag thats synthetic will not be as warm as you want. More like 4lbs
If you can afford it, cry once and buy a down bag and you likely will never need another bag

ak max 83

FNG
Sleeping is something I wouldn’t be too frugal. I would buy the very best bag you can afford. When budget allows you can buy a merino liner to add another 5-8f in the rating and you can eventually put it all in a bivy and add another 5f.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smitty619

FNG
Sleeping is something I wouldn’t be too frugal. I would buy the very best bag you can afford. When budget allows you can buy a merino liner to add another 5-8f in the rating and you can eventually put it all in a bivy and add another 5f.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another option would be to find one of the Costco down throws ($20) and stack bags.

Block

WKR
Lamina series from Mtn Hardware

I bought the lamina spark as it was highly recommended on here. I was COLD in 40* desert nights wearing a pretty warm outfit in that 32* bag.. Can’t say Id recommend it to anyone aside from summer hunts. I wouldn’t consider myself a cold sleeper by any means and Iv had to use a 15* REI magma to be comfy in 30* weather with a thin layer of clothing.

LeftSlope

FNG
Nemo makes solid products. But for what its worth, I prefer down over synthetic. If it gets wet, you'll still stay warm, just food for thought. Spending few extra bucks will serve you well!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I bought the lamina spark as it was highly recommended on here. I was COLD in 40* desert nights wearing a pretty warm outfit in that 32* bag.. Can’t say Id recommend it to anyone aside from summer hunts. I wouldn’t consider myself a cold sleeper by any means and Iv had to use a 15* REI magma to be comfy in 30* weather with a thin layer of clothing.
It's actually a 34deg limit rating, with a 42deg comfort rating. You have to be careful with all of the manufacturers because they will advertise the lower limit rating as the rating of the bag, not the tested comfort rating. Naturally, if you sleep cold you will need to pick a bag rated well below the expected temps you will most likely encounter.

CO-AJ

WKR
I have heard good things about Outdoor Vitals, and I am sure there are some posts on here about them. I have a pillow and liner from them and so far they have performed well and construction seems to be good. Keep an eye on the classifieds on Rokslide as well as sometimes there is a "barely" used bag for a great price.

Block

WKR
It's actually a 34deg limit rating, with a 42deg comfort rating. You have to be careful with all of the manufacturers because they will advertise the lower limit rating as the rating of the bag, not the tested comfort rating. Naturally, if you sleep cold you will need to pick a bag rated well below the expected temps you will most likely encounter.

Interesting. Thanks ^ yeah Iv never been a cold sleeper at all,. Warm if anything. That bag is light weight,,, compresses down very nice,, priced well,,, BUT it just ain’t warm,,, granted I was in the truck bed (open air) and woulda been a little warmer inside the tent,,, I just wouldn’t use that bag past September

ak max 83

FNG
Being an Alaskan hunter I know about cold. I've used my 15 degree bag in cold conditions. Bag liner, bivy, tent and sleeping with a jacket works wonders. Sometimes the only time I use my puffy jacket is to bed.

qwerksc

WKR
Mountain hardware, up the budget to $180. I lived in a Northface Chamois for six months out of the year for seven years the inside of the bag looks like a used bandaid, retired the bag after ten years, still have it, twenty eight years later, now I'm running a Northface Solarflare, it's 18 years old, I do about 30 to 40 days a year in it...You get what you pay for.

Last edited: