Which bullet would you pick? - Results from this morning's range session with bullet sample packs.

OP
Newtosavage
For the Barnes, I'd be looking at impact speed over energy. Barnes recommends 1800 fps min impact speed for the TTSX, although I have seen actual users saying 2000 fps is better. Something to consider when looking at data.
I would want even more than 1800 for TSX's based on my experience so far, and everything I've read. I don't think they open up as well as the TTSX's. I have had reasonable luck with the 145 LRX, which should have a lower velocity threshold than either the TSX or TTSX's

N2TRKYS

WKR
I wouldn't be using that powder, but you've heard that already. What kind of velocity are you getting with that powder in your other accurate rifles?

Last edited:
OP
Newtosavage
I wouldn't be using that powder, but you've heard that already. What kind of velocity are you getting with that powder in your other accurate rifles?
Do you say that because you've used that powder before?

I have a 20" barrel. What kind of velocity (with accuracy and temp. stability) do you think I should be getting?

pnw

Lil-Rokslider
just an idea but to get the most out there aways from it I would disregard the mag length and do the berger seating depth thing with the 154 hdys maybe some 150 accubond long range or that eldx see what you get you might get lucky and find something within mag length from that approach or at least find a single load lr load

N2TRKYS

WKR
Do you say that because you've used that powder before?

I have a 20" barrel. What kind of velocity (with accuracy and temp. stability) do you think I should be getting?

I'm getting 3000fps with 120 grain NBTs with Varget and 2860fps with 140 grain Partitions with Big Game. If you're happy with your velocity and just have to use that powder, try a different primer. I've had primer changes really tighten groups up.

BuzzH

WKR
I'm getting 3000fps with 120 grain NBTs with Varget and 2860fps with 140 grain Partitions with Big Game. If you're happy with your velocity and just have to use that powder, try a different primer. I've had primer changes really tighten groups up.

I'll second the 120 NBT's as worth trying. Hell for stout and plenty for elk. I use a modest charge of H380 in my nephews youth model 700 (20 inch barrel) with the 120 BT. Getting 2825 FPS and he's killed 2 elk, a pronghorn buck, mule deer buck, whitetail buck, and several whitetail does with it. Shoots very well, and like I say the 120 BT is a stout bullet for an unbonded cup and core.

0313161411.jpg

It shot the 140 BT pretty well too with H4350...first 5 shot group from his rifle, first load I tried...bone stock 700 with the chit factory trigger, not bedded, etc.

0220161146.jpg

Jardo

WKR
So, just my 2 cents but your doing it wrong if your looking for the most accurate load.

Start by picking your favorite bullet...

Then do a ladder to find your nodes. If you don’t know what that is, google it or watch some of the long range videos broz makes. He’s on this forum as well and he is an expert.

Once you find a node, mess with seating depth to find the best oal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
The E-TIP shots 1,2,3 are in a nice group your done with load development imho. The 140 gr. Accubond works really well in the 7-08 if you can get it to shoot.

OP
Newtosavage
3K with 120's isn't hard for me to get with the 8208. Actually, that's about what my 120 TSX's are running. And they shoot fine. I'm just trying to find something a little heavier, with a better BC.

I've used Big Game before, but would like to stick with a powder that's more temp insensitive if I can.

I'm not really looking to change powders or primers. One variable at a time, and right now I'm testing bullets.

OP
Newtosavage
So, just my 2 cents but your doing it wrong if your looking for the most accurate load.

Start by picking your favorite bullet...

Then do a ladder to find your nodes. If you don’t know what that is, google it or watch some of the long range videos broz makes. He’s on this forum as well and he is an expert.

Once you find a node, mess with seating depth to find the best oal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you read all my replies, you would have seen that I tried that approach several times. Not saying you're wrong, but I tried that first.

N2TRKYS

WKR
3K with 120's isn't hard for me to get with the 8208. Actually, that's about what my 120 TSX's are running. And they shoot fine. I'm just trying to find something a little heavier, with a better BC.

I've used Big Game before, but would like to stick with a powder that's more temp insensitive if I can.

I'm not really looking to change powders or primers. One variable at a time, and right now I'm testing bullets.

Yeah, I didn’t lean on my 120 grain load. 3000fps was more than enough for me. I haven’t had any issues with Big Game in the temp sensitive area.
If you only change primers in your load, that’s just one variable.

I’ll be taking my 7-08 with the Big Game load to Wyoming for my next hunt.

OP
Newtosavage
Yeah, I didn’t lean on my 120 grain load. 3000fps was more than enough for me. I haven’t had any issues with Big Game in the temp sensitive area.
If you only change primers in your load, that’s just one variable.

I’ll be taking my 7-08 with the Big Game load to Wyoming for my next hunt.
I had a 120 Sierra / Big Game load for my Tikka that was hell on whitetails. It just didn't work that well for me with the heavier bullets. I was chasing powders for the 162 ELD-X at the time, and the 8208 was the winner of about 6 I tested.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I had a 120 Sierra / Big Game load for my Tikka that was hell on whitetails. It just didn't work that well for me with the heavier bullets. I was chasing powders for the 162 ELD-X at the time, and the 8208 was the winner of about 6 I tested.

I never went heavier than the 140s in my 7-08. I’ve got a 7 SAUM for the heavies.
Good luck with your development.

16Bore

WKR
Kinda starting in the middle and working sideways. One bullet at a time. Work up pressure, find seating depth. Then onto the next one.

Every Barnes I’ve ever loaded was at its best loaded to the front of the first driving band towards the max powder charge. Work up.