Which Caliber?

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
F9551C55-F4E9-48E1-BCB0-5A79347539B6.jpegFor what it’s worth that’s a hole that’s easily the size of my fist. .308 Hornady 150gr Interlock. While it did the job. IMO .308 is over kill and anything around that caliber size or bigger is not needed. I love the gun, but if I was a bit more forward and Lower I would Have easily lost the shoulder if not both.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up using a friends Bergara in 6.5 Creedmor. Fantastic rifle and a great round for Antelope. Got the job done from 195 and 304 yards on 2 great bucks.

Attachments

• 6D7811EE-10B0-4509-88D8-064C00D9C6ED.jpeg
    6D7811EE-10B0-4509-88D8-064C00D9C6ED.jpeg
    566.4 KB · Views: 22
  • A4DD63DE-C0ED-464B-A5B5-EAE00F0A8837.jpeg
    A4DD63DE-C0ED-464B-A5B5-EAE00F0A8837.jpeg
    573.5 KB · Views: 23
Hope everyone is doing well. I'm heading to the Craig/Meeker CO area next week. I have a ruger 270 and Remington 700 in 7mm mag. I have both zero'd at 250 and feel comfortable shooting at 300-350 yards, both have good glass. This is my first Antelope hunt, and I'm wondering which rifle I should bring for that area and to ideally minimize meat loss. Thank you.
both are capable. take whichever you feel more confident with. shot placement will matter more than round.

Ucsdryder

WKR
View attachment 223443For what it’s worth that’s a hole that’s easily the size of my fist. .308 Hornady 150gr Interlock. While it did the job. IMO .308 is over kill and anything around that caliber size or bigger is not needed. I love the gun, but if I was a bit more forward and Lower I would Have easily lost the shoulder if not both.
My buck got hit with a 180gr trophy bonded out of my 300 win mag. Right in the pocket. Entry hole was nickel size. He was slightly quartering toward me. Let’s just say there were no guts to remove. Luckily I lost zero meat, but that exit hole was nasty. I have a 257 roberts but wanted something I could shoot long range. Ended up shooting him at 110 yards.

If you shoot them equally well take the smaller of the two since they are both more than enough for antelope. Take your 270 then again not a lot of difference between them take whichever you prefer.

Either will work. Better take both just in case you drop one and bend the scope like my buddy did one year.

Brendan

WKR
300 Win Mag with a Berger 215 worked great for me. By the time I had the sight picture back he was on his back with his legs in the air - died with a mouth full of food not knowing what hit him...

7028b40fbe741069e25cbc6a00718ab3.jpg

44710ea872362bc2b4f245ae5ef7209d.jpg

I used to use a weatherby vanguard 257 weatherby for Antelope. My dad was partial to the 240 weatherby.
the 257WBY is a cartridge i can't get out of my head.... don't love any factory rifles it's chambered in is my problem..... one will be mine sooner than later, and it will likely be a custom or semi custom rifle.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
the 257WBY is a cartridge i can't get out of my head.... don't love any factory rifles it's chambered in is my problem..... one will be mine sooner than later, and it will likely be a custom or semi custom rifle.

The weatherby vanguard I had was nothing to write home about in terms of being an interesting rifle but it was stupid accurate right out of the box.

The weatherby vanguard I had was nothing to write home about in terms of being an interesting rifle but it was stupid accurate right out of the box.
yeah, i have 2 friends that have them and they say the same..... accuracy is obviously huge, but i don't collect rifles and like the ones i have to have a "cool" factor to me....

want it to be sub 6.5lbs empty, decent stock.... just something i like. always wanted one custom rifle, and that's probably gonna be the one.... i also may just get a weatherby ultra lightweight and call it a day, buddy has one in 300 roy and it's a nice rig, just not quite as light as i would like.... a few ounces less may not be worth an extra thousand or more though ;) especially since buying the kifaru gun bearer, packing a rifle is pretty easy these days.... put a light leupold scope on it (maybe a vx-3i) and a spartan javelin lite bipod and it would be light enough.

it just seems like an awesome cartridge for a simple rifle to set up to shoot MPBR, i think it's close to 400yds on the 257.... great blacktail and bear rig

just love the cartridge on paper, for what i do. i bow hunt elk, and i have a 7rem mag, and a 6.5creed, and my AR for calling lions... the 257 would finish off my rifle niches.... and i just want one, haha.

i'll draw a speed goat tag eventually too, and it's a great cartridge for that..... can't do much better for that task

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
yeah, i have 2 friends that have them and they say the same..... accuracy is obviously huge, but i don't collect rifles and like the ones i have to have a "cool" factor to me....

want it to be sub 6.5lbs empty, decent stock.... just something i like. always wanted one custom rifle, and that's probably gonna be the one.... i also may just get a weatherby ultra lightweight and call it a day, buddy has one in 300 roy and it's a nice rig, just not quite as light as i would like.... a few ounces less may not be worth an extra thousand or more though ;) especially since buying the kifaru gun bearer, packing a rifle is pretty easy these days.... put a light leupold scope on it (maybe a vx-3i) and a spartan javelin lite bipod and it would be light enough.

it just seems like an awesome cartridge for a simple rifle to set up to shoot MPBR, i think it's close to 400yds on the 257.... great blacktail and bear rig

just love the cartridge on paper, for what i do. i bow hunt elk, and i have a 7rem mag, and a 6.5creed, and my AR for calling lions... the 257 would finish off my rifle niches.... and i just want one, haha.

i'll draw a speed goat tag eventually too, and it's a great cartridge for that..... can't do much better for that task
Im with you 100% I like my rifles to have a cool factor. I had my 257 like 14-15 years ago when I used to live down south. Me and my dad would antelope every year no matter what, just depended on where we could draw a tag or pay a tresspass fee, at the time I wasn't making a ton of $$$ and sportsmans warehouse was selling those rifles for like 299 or 349.00 I forget but I got one and had a 4.5-14 leupold. That rifle was really nice at the time but nothing special by my own standards today but I sure did stack a lot of antelope with it. Got a few really nice mule deer as well.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I picked up a AccuMark on here last year, added a VX5HD and 100 TSX handloads. Other than packing a pound more than I like, I love the rifle.