Which Caliber?

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Hope everyone is doing well. I'm heading to the Craig/Meeker CO area next week. I have a ruger 270 and Remington 700 in 7mm mag. I have both zero'd at 250 and feel comfortable shooting at 300-350 yards, both have good glass. This is my first Antelope hunt, and I'm wondering which rifle I should bring for that area and to ideally minimize meat loss. Thank you.

Either one will wallop a speed goat. It’s easy to overthink this kind of thing. If both shoot well it’s really a matter matching the rifle itself to the style of hunting. If doing a lot of walking then the handier rifle might win out.

Just got back from a hunt myself. I used my 7mm RM because I shoot it very well. My hunting partner also brought his 7mm RM ............. My shot was 157 yards his was 83 yards.................. both bang flops. 160 Accubond handloads. Most of the goats where under 300. I was on a couple of goats between 400-600 and let them walk as the wind was gusting up to 50 mph.

Bottom line I would bring what every rifle you can shoot well, that's easy to carry on long stalks.

I was ready with all the bells and whistles, dialing shots and all the major hype these days.

Truth be told. I could have shot my goat with my grandpas open sighted 30-30 Win 94.

Things that mattered far more than rifle selection; Comfortable boots, Gaiters, wind/water/snow/hot/cold resistant clothing and a set of bino's you can live behind for 8-10 hours a day.

Sorry for the overly long opinion here, this was fresh on my mind as I was reflecting on our hunt!

Attachments

• received_343235426917839.jpeg
    received_343235426917839.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Comparing external ballistics between those two cartridge's at 350 yards is going to be unnoticeable if you are using similar weight/style bullets. I would shoot whichever rifle you feel more confident with. Meat loss is more dependent on bullet selection rather than cartridge choice. Any thick jacketed bonded bullet or solid copper bullet will result in the least amount of meat loss. Nosler Accubonds, Nosler Partitions, or any Barnes bullet will probably be your best options for saving as much meat as possible. Cup and core bullets such as Bergers, ELDMs, ELDXs, SSTs, or Nosler Ballistic Tips will fragment and have a better BANG/FLOP factor, but the larger wound channel will result in a greater chance of meat loss. Good luck on your hunt! There are some great bucks in that area!

JasonWi

WKR
I've shot them with a .243, .270WSM and will be taking my 7mmRM on this next trip. Honestly they are usually bang flop if hit right. Take either gun that you enjoy shooting/hunting with the most and have fun. You don't have to shoot super long ranges unless you want to. All of our groups animals in the past eight years (12-14 bucks and does) have been 300 yards or less.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from a hunt myself. I used my 7mm RM because I shoot it very well. My hunting partner also brought his 7mm RM ............. My shot was 157 yards his was 83 yards.................. both bang flops. 160 Accubond handloads. Most of the goats where under 300. I was on a couple of goats between 400-600 and let them walk as the wind was gusting up to 50 mph.

Bottom line I would bring what every rifle you can shoot well, that's easy to carry on long stalks.

I was ready with all the bells and whistles, dialing shots and all the major hype these days.

Truth be told. I could have shot my goat with my grandpas open sighted 30-30 Win 94.

Things that mattered far more than rifle selection; Comfortable boots, Gaiters, wind/water/snow/hot/cold resistant clothing and a set of bino's you can live behind for 8-10 hours a day.

Sorry for the overly long opinion here, this was fresh on my mind as I was reflecting on our hunt!

Really appreciate the long opinion. That makes total sense. I've got my gear system dialed in that is best for long glassing wind/changing temps and lots of walking if need be.

mgacf

FNG
Once it's time to shoot I am typically less worried about meat and more worried about actually hitting the thing!

Just had a similar dilemma, deciding between two guns, on an elk hunt. In the end, I asked myself if I had one shot for a million bucks which would I use? Ended up grabbing old faithful over my newer one!

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Once it's time to shoot I am typically less worried about meat and more worried about actually hitting the thing!

Just had a similar dilemma, deciding between two guns, on an elk hunt. In the end, I asked myself if I had one shot for a million bucks which would I use? Ended up grabbing old faithful over my newer one!

This definitely makes sense.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
I will be bringing my 7 mm magnum, I have two different bullets to choose from, what would be preferable, obviously it all comes down to shot placement. Assuming I make the right shot which would be the more preferable bullet? Winchester super X, PowerPoint 150GR or the Hornady 150gr Interlock.

270 should be more than enough. they will see you before you see them. the goal is to sneak up on them or distract them.

I agree with the above on distance. You only need to shoot long, if you want too. All of ours were under 300 yards. Our group had a .308, 30-06, 7mag and a 300 RUM. All of us killed Antelope and we lost some Meat.

5 guys with 9 tags total and we were done before dark in the second day. Killed all the bucks and two does the first day.