Which Cartridge / Caliber with limited availability of components or ammo for LR??

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
2 years in a row now I've had "shooter" bulls between 575 and 700 yards. I tried to close the distance both times, but both (obviously) gave me the slip. I did have time to do THLR's long range proficiency test + extra time. Probably 2 minutes each time to set up and fire. If I was "capable" of making the shot.

I had a .308 once and a 6.5 creed this year. (both Tikka, SWFA, Sportsmatch) Not saying they "wouldn't" work, just not under the circumstances (for me). I set a minimum of 2000 fps or better for impact velocity. I was able to locate some 140 federal fusions for my creed this year....velocity and BC are not going to make it at those ranges for me with that combo. Tikka slow barrel too...400 yards - sure.

In todays world having to rely on specific components or 1 factory load is pretty much impossible (cause I haven't been hoarding..:rolleyes:) - especially figuring in practice ammo.

So I've been thinking about a new rifle....

What caliber would you be confident in with a "reasonable" factory load or reasonable handload out to those distances? It could change throughout the year as you use it up and replace it. I have been leaning towards the 300 win mag......or maybe a 7mm mag.....my thinking is something that gets velocity easily from displacement will make it easier to get 2000 fps+ with multiple combos at those ranges....

Any thoughts appreciated!

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
With what Midway has available right now? 33 Nosler, 300 RUM, 7WBY, 300WIN. Grafs? 280AI, 33 Nosler, 6.5 WBY RPM. Finding a rifle in one of those may be an issue. It's rough out there these days.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ll just say this. 700 is a really long way. At times it can seem easy but in the field it’s a poke. If you make the commitment to shoot, a lot, then it’s very doable. Most guys shooting factory ammo aren’t putting in the time to make themselves proficient enough for that shot.

z987k

WKR
Assuming you're not reloading, pull up some factory ammo in a bunch of 7mm-338, knock 50 to 100fps off what their box says, then run it through a ballistics calc and see what has your requirements at 700yds.

My guess is you end up in a 28 nosler with 175 ABLR's or 300 wm(or an even bigger magnum) with 200gr eld-x. 338wm or bigger.

Zappaman

WKR
I've done it out to 800+ on deer (on TX hurd reduction permits) and once at 600 on an elk with a 7mmRM... but I'd rather have a 300 out past that for an elk (for the energy at impact). I reload (a lot) and shoot my hunting rifles a few times a year to insure they are SPOT on for those kinds of distances too. I would not suggest anyone doing it with basic factory ammo (unless they have shot about 20+ rounds with said ammo to KNOW it's 100% on).

Also, I'm not a "dialer" and I'd probably upgrade my scope (something over $1k) if I decided to go past these ranges. But that would take a lot more time, cash, and PRACTICE... so sometimes I have to pass on the shot because it's not within my (or my gears) ability. But I'd rather work in and close the distance- you know... hunt.

djauofd

FNG
What elevation are you shooting at? 338 win mag will do the trick. My 338 win mag 26” barrel slings 250 gr Berger’s at 2,850 fps. At sea level at 700 yds it shows the 250’s are 1,983 fps and 2,183 ft lbs of energy. So let’s say you are at 7,000 ft. It is now traveling at 2,144 fps and 2,558 ft lbs. Even a 300 gr Berger only starting at 2,509 fps gives you 1,953 fps and 2,517 ft lbs of energy at 7,000 ft elevation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
W

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I am not new to shooting at range. I would only take shots at any range over 400 if I was REALLY confident in the shot and conditions.

I think factory ammo can be used to at least 600. I shoot a lot of it - when I get it. It's just easier than loading sometimes. I am also fortunate enough to be able to shoot on my own property. I get as much practice as I can get ammo for usually.

I do reload. I just haven't been able to find components like I want. Are some of you saying I can find what I want? Then it's easy....300 win....

Hence my question, I burn my ammo to try and keep proficient. What is most likely going to make those shots with "what I can find"? Weatherby's ammo almost always meets "spec"....a 300 bee is cool.....but $$ for the ammo like everything else right now. I can find a rifle in it too...

I personally try and get 100 rnds of anything. That makes it so I can zero, verify ranges, and true any discrepancies. With a little practice thrown in. Then still have enough left over for the hunt.

I would be open to another optic, but really haven't had any trouble with the SWFA's....

I usually hunt between 8000 and 12000'......I live at 8300'.....

Wapiti1

WKR
Best situation is a .223 and a .300 Win in the same rifle platform.

Practice with the .223 most of the year, move the big gun into the mix nearer the season, and end with that before the season. Then go hunt.

.223 in some form has been available pretty much through this whole thing. .308 has been pretty available as well. It might be really crap ammo, but you're still shooting. In a bolt gun, I wouldn't worry about 5.56 verse .223. Just buy what is available and shoot.

Jeremy

2 years in a row now I've had "shooter" bulls between 575 and 700 yards. I tried to close the distance both times, but both (obviously) gave me the slip. I did have time to do THLR's long range proficiency test + extra time. Probably 2 minutes each time to set up and fire. If I was "capable" of making the shot.

I had a .308 once and a 6.5 creed this year. (both Tikka, SWFA, Sportsmatch) Not saying they "wouldn't" work, just not under the circumstances (for me). I set a minimum of 2000 fps or better for impact velocity. I was able to locate some 140 federal fusions for my creed this year....velocity and BC are not going to make it at those ranges for me with that combo. Tikka slow barrel too...400 yards - sure.

In todays world having to rely on specific components or 1 factory load is pretty much impossible (cause I haven't been hoarding..:rolleyes:) - especially figuring in practice ammo.

What caliber would you be confident in with a "reasonable" factory load or reasonable handload out to those distances? It could change throughout the year as you use it up and replace it. I have been leaning towards the 300 win mag......or maybe a 7mm mag.....my thinking is something that gets velocity easily from displacement will make it easier to get 2000 fps+ with multiple combos at those ranges....

Component and ammo availability is definitely tricky but I wouldn't invest in something just because you can find what you want right away.
I like your approach to doing long range right before shooting at elk, here's what I'd recommend:

If going 30 caliber (my preference for elk beyond 700 yards) I'd look into a 300 prc.
There are a couple reasons why it's a better choice than a 300 wm.
First of all the prc will be set up to run 212 eldx or 215- 230 bergers from the factory.
Factory 212eldx ammo is really good stuff if available.
Also the case design is an improvement over the belted wm.
A 7 rm isn't a bad choice if you find one with at least a 9 twist barrel to run 180 bergers.
Whatever you do make sure to spend the time learning how your rifle shoots in various conditions, and get your ballistics dialed in good.

wakedye

Lil-Rokslider
I am not saying this is the ideal cartridge or bullet for that range but I shoot a 270 Win with 140 grain accubonds and per ballistics calcs I still have just over 2000 fps at 700 yards.

Spoonbill

WKR

Just an idea, but you may be able to convert your 6.5 creed to a 6.5 prc, would just need to open up or replace the bolt and rechamber your barrel. According to hornady it will be right at 2000fps as 700 yards with their precision hunter ammo.

OP
W

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
Good answers gents......looks like I'm SOL...HA!

Just going to have to see what components or ammo I can "stockpile" before I decide on a rifle / cartridge. Was hoping there might be an easier answer. I'll be lookin' !!

Good answers gents......looks like I'm SOL...HA!

Just going to have to see what components or ammo I can "stockpile" before I decide on a rifle / cartridge. Was hoping there might be an easier answer. I'll be lookin' !!
Another option is the 30 Nos
I'm really impressed with mine, very easy to tune and it put my bull down hard this season.
High quality Peterson and ADG brass is available all over the place right now, guess it pays to own a cartridge that lost its glitter.
Also here's a link to in stock 212 eldx bullets
https://www.scheels.com/p/hornady-eld-x-rifle-bullets/90255-2441.html

Last edited:

Sled

WKR
i'm pretty conscious of ammo availability and though i reload, i still want off the shelf available. based on your previous cartridges, make sure you really want the recoil of the larger magnums. the 270win suggestion is spot on for lower recoil yet plenty capable with the right projectile. in the 2008 ammo shortage it was always available. step up to the 270wsm if you want to reload. the 300win has been more available than other mags at the shops i frequent. it'll do what you want but you may want a muzzlebrake or suppressor to tame it down.

a nice compromise would be a 7mm mag. reasonable recoil with 150-160gr projectiles and they will be available sooner than the boutique calibers mentioned above.

MHWASH

WKR
Decide what cartridge you want, then shop for the rifle. Once you have the rifle, you should be able to find the components. You’ll have to spend lots of time on the forums, and the online stores looking for components. They are there, but you may have to pay a little more. From what I’ve seen, the PRCs are the hardest to come by.

For elk at LR intend to lean to a .30. So my suggestion would be to find a rifle you like, find the load it likes and order a case of ammo. If your reloading I really like what my new 300 Norma Improved is showing me. Yes the cases need fire formed but in my rifle factory 300 Norma 230’s are still sub moa.

AkRyan

WKR
I almost hate saying this and I'm not sure of the ballistics out to 700 but I can find 6.8wester at every shop in my town atm.