which chainsaw?

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Poulan Pro 18" that I use at home and on the farm. It's affordable and have had no issues in the 5 or 6 years I've owned it. That being said, a buddy of mine works as a lineman and says they have all gone to the Milwaukee electric, and he won't buy another gas saw.

What’s the deal with say a Stihl MS170? I’ve had one a couple years and haven’t had any issues. Did do one pretty hard day clearing piss elms out of a shelter belt and it did well. No complaints.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Stihl MS-261 if you want a great little saw.

If paying for a Stihl pro saw is out, get one of the small Husqvarna's.

I have not had a problem with gas saws that see little use so long as I use good fuel and run them once or twice a year.

While I have not used electric, I would question its ability to clear a large tree without multiple batteries, especially if the tree is a hardwood or frozen.

Decoy241

FNG
Classified Approved
For homeowner general use Id recommend a 16” gas powered stihl. I also only use tru fuel in it.

nrh6.7

WKR
I have a stihl ms261 also, which is great for a lot of work, but the milwaukee goes with me out of town. Also carry their m18 impact for tire changes and at least one m18 flashlight so I have backup batteries.

eoperator

WKR
A few years back my chainsaw under tonneau cover in back of truck somehow exploded gas all over everything in back. Saw was in its own plastic case and all other stuff was in plastic totes but everything wreaked of gas (clothes, boots).

Ended up buying a stihl battery saw, it is not the joke I was expecting if you have realistic expectations.

Another vote for the Milwaukee 18v. Great for in the yard and to keep in the truck. I already ran Milwaukee power tools.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have no experience with them, however if I were keeping one in a vehicle and using it sparingly I am getting an electric one!

I hate the smell of fuel of any kind, and if I am hunting/camping for multiple days I do not want to have to deal with fuel! Even the exhaust will have me stinking so no thanks!

ODB

WKR
I have no experience with them, however if I were keeping one in a vehicle and using it sparingly I am getting an electric one!

I hate the smell of fuel of any kind, and if I am hunting/camping for multiple days I do not want to have to deal with fuel! Even the exhaust will have me stinking so no thanks!

That’s funny. I grew up around tractors, chainsaws, high-octane race, 100 LL and Jet-A at the airport...I still love the smell of each one...takes me back to a specific place and time..

rbljack

WKR
no experience with electric. But I run a small lawn care biz and all handheld equipment is stihl. with that said...I tried the entry level saw (MS181) with a 16" bar. Its not quite enough. Its bogged down while trying to get thru some large mesquite stumps. I would recommend their mid grade or pro level saws. I also would step up to at least an 18" bar. Reasoning: you may only ""plan" to be cutting firewood but if you camp or hunt in an area where there was a burn....its entirely possible a large tree may just be across the forest road you are trying to go down.

Regarding fuel and starting issues: For only occasion use items I run the Stihl moto-mix (no ethanol) and then drain out the gas after use and run them dry. That fuel is more expensive, but wont gunk up the carbs like ethanol fuel will.

My next saw will be a Stihl Pro saw...MS261 probably, or the MS462 maybe. But I understand where you are coming from….those two saws are pricey. But...you know how it goes...buy once cry once. Buy cheap and cry because it don't work when you REALLY need it....LOL.

The electric option is an interesting option, but I have no experience with them...so I cant comment on it.

Last edited:

Extrapale

WKR
I have a Stihl 034 with 24" bar. Older saw works great for cutting camp wood.

I also have a Makita dual 18v battery with 14 or 16" bar. That thing is amazing. It gets used around the yard and for horse pack in trips where legal.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
Here in the Northeast where I cut mostly hardwoods, I would and do use Husqvarna and Jonsereds. I run saws from 55cc's to 88 cc's with 16" to 24" bars. In your situation, I would buy an Echo electric saw, if you have a good dealer nearby. If you can find a good 25+ year old gas powered saw you would be OK with it and only using it once or twice a year. With the new saws and their finely tuned, eco friendly carburetors and ethanol fuel, it's hard to keep them from gumming up. The canned fuel is better but still can have issues if the saw sits to long. So for once a year cutting a limb out of the way on the trail..... electric all the way.

elkguide

WKR
One more thought. I have a 1984 Jonsereds 630 that has several thousand hours on it. That saw can literally sit in my shop for two years or more and once I put new fuel in it, it's running by the forth pull. Best little saw that I have ever owned.