Which CO units for first time OTC Elk hunt

I am planning a 3rd season Elk hunt for myself and my 13 y/o (then 14) son and not sure which units to look at. We are looking at this as a learning experience and are not expecting to be packing out a big bull. If blind luck makes that happen then so be it. What I am more interested in is being able to get back into a unit where there won't be a ton of other hunters. We will be backpacking in and setting up camp and going out from there.

I'm not asking for any honey holes just maybe suggestions on good units to get away from people. Considering 65 ATM. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

OP
Sooner Wing
How are you wanting to hunt?
Forgive my ignorance but I don't understand the question. We are looking at backpacking in to try to get away from the lazy hunters but we have relatively no idea what we are doing. I am reading a ton and listening to podcast's etc but I have a feeling that I am really just going to have to experience it to figure it out and I am sure that will take a couple of trips. Being a deer hunter in OK is a lot of sitting and waiting so we are really looking forward to being mobile on this hunt. Granted being mobile in the mountains is entirly different than being mobile on the plains and we understand that. I have a capable weapon, good glass, good binos, and a good spotting scope. Seems the spotting scope might be optional depending on location.

At the end of the day we love the mountains and go any time we can, usually 2-3 times a year but have never hunted the mountains. Hoping to make this an annual trip building towards archery hunts during the rut. However, I don't figure we need to try to get to 30 yards from them until we figure out how to get 300 yards from them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm not asking for any honey holes just maybe suggestions on good units to get away from people.

You're dreaming. My last rifle season elk hunt was 16 years ago, and even then I'd run into the sea of orange 4.5 to 5 miles back from any roads. I'm pretty sure it hasn't gotten any better since then.

From my point of view, hunting elk is easier all the way around during archery than rifle.

OP
Sooner Wing
You're dreaming. My last rifle season elk hunt was 16 years ago, and even then I'd run into the sea of orange 4.5 to 5 miles back from any roads. I'm pretty sure it hasn't gotten any better since then.
So with that said, do you think we should consider an archery hunt instead?

sndmn11

WKR
Forgive my ignorance but I don't understand the question.

When you sit down and tell yourself you are going elk hunting, with a young teen, at the end of November....how do you picture it? Someone could hunt Colorado elk 1000 different ways and some units are laid out with their terrain, animal density, hunter density, access, etc., to sometimes fit how a person envisions their hunt being better than others. Every unit west of I25 has elk, so asking what unit without giving an idea of what the criteria is won't get you too far with suggestions.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So with that said, do you think we should consider an archery hunt instead?

Well, archery certainly hasn't gotten any less packed with hunters either. But you at least have much better weather to deal with and can actually enjoy your experience out there instead of freezing your tails off. But some people seem to enjoy the cold, I'm not one of those. LOL. The elk telling you where they are is an added bonus. And if you can learn to call even reasonably well, you'll be into elk. Another good option might be muzzleloader for you and your son if you don't want to tackle archery, but IMO it's part of the same season basically except you get 3 extra weeks with archery.

Mattyq17

FNG
I am looking to do the same with my 14 year old in 2021, as well as my dad and brother. I have been to Colorado a few times in the early 2000's, hunting 751 in the SW, (we have friends who live in Bayfield so we stayed with them). I remember it being crowded back then (3rd season) so we are also looking at other units as well. But it is nice be able to have a nice bed and warm fire to come back to each night as well as horses to use in the event we get an animal down. Last time we went I got a rag horn and my dad got a cow. Good luck with your decision and I will be following this thread.

OP
Sooner Wing
When you sit down and tell yourself you are going elk hunting, with a young teen, at the end of November....how do you picture it? Someone could hunt Colorado elk 1000 different ways and some units are laid out with their terrain, animal density, hunter density, access, etc., to sometimes fit how a person envisions their hunt being better than others. Every unit west of I25 has elk, so asking what unit without giving an idea of what the criteria is won't get you too far with suggestions.
Having never hunted out west I am having a difficult time answering your question.

I guess I envision busting our butts backpacking in a day or two before opening day and setting up camp a couple miles in. Then spending a couple of days (glassing) looking for elk and then a couple of days trying to get a good look and shot at one.

We usually visit Durango every Christmas break to ski and then Silverton/Ouray/Ridgeway to hike/camp around Labor Day and Memorial Day but those are family vacations. We love the mountains and I have done the Ice Lakes hike outside of Silverton a couple of times so I am imagining that hike while toting a bunch of gear and a rifle. Hunting thick timber in OK it would be cool to be able to use a spotting scope out west but if that sort of terrain leads to higher hunter density I would probably look for a unit with less hunter density.

OP
Sooner Wing
Well, archery certainly hasn't gotten any less packed with hunters either. But you at least have much better weather to deal with and can actually enjoy your experience out there instead of freezing your tails off. But some people seem to enjoy the cold, I'm not one of those. LOL. The elk telling you where they are is an added bonus. And if you can learn to call even reasonably well, you'll be into elk. Another good option might be muzzleloader for you and your son if you don't want to tackle archery, but IMO it's part of the same season basically except you get 3 extra weeks with archery.
I didn't know there were OTC tags for muzzleloader.

sndmn11

WKR
Having never hunted out west I am having a difficult time answering your question.

I guess I envision busting our butts backpacking in a day or two before opening day and setting up camp a couple miles in. Then spending a couple of days (glassing) looking for elk and then a couple of days trying to get a good look and shot at one.

We usually visit Silverton/Ouray/Ridgeway to hike/camp around Labor Day and Memorial Day but those are family vacations.

Here is a map of OTC archery units https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Maps/OTCEitherSexElkArchery.pdf

Spend the time hiking around during family time also as scouting time, maybe in 65, come back three weeks later and hunt in the archery season. This will keep you out of the unpredictability of snow, and you will not get frustrated hearing everyone else shooting, or easily seeing them. Apply this spring for a preference point with the unsuccessful option of receiving the leftover draw opportunity.

cnelk

WKR
Archery hunting in Colorado has DOUBLED in popularity in recent years. Rifle elk hunting is still by far the most people in the field - especially 2nd and 3rd OTC seasons.

Going 'way back' for 3rd season isnt something you just do. Man you better know what the hell you're doing.
I think there's still a guy in Wyoming they havent found from October this past fall.

What I am more interested in is being able to get back into a unit where there won't be a ton of other hunters. We will be backpacking in and setting up camp and going out from there.

I'm not asking for any honey holes just maybe suggestions on good units to get away from people. Considering 65 ATM. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

If I knew a unit like that I wouldn't share it on the internet. If I did there would be more hunters.

Like what Kyle said above every unit has elk. I like to hunt elk in certain terrain. So I hunt units that have terrain I like to hunt in. I don't hunt in the others that don't have that terrain. You mentioned a spotting scope. Maybe look at some units that has some high elevation that you can glass. During 3rd rifle they might be down low if pushed by snow, along with a ton of hunters. There isn't necessarily the "perfect" unit. Pick one that has some features that you like and try to figure it out. Best of luck!

I slept in my truck during third season and my water bottle froze next to me inside of my sleeping bag. You may reconsider backpacking.

Hey there. I’ve never hunted, but live in Colorado and backpack a bit. You need to set way reasonable expectations for backpacking with a 13-14 year old kid. I’ve done it with my 12yo and our scout troop with boys to 14. 4-5 miles is all you’re getting out of them with 25-30 pound packs. And that‘s a slow trip with lots of stops. And these are kids who live at and are acclimated to altitude. a base camp a mile or so in from a trailhead and then day trips from there sounds way more reasonable than getting way the heck back into the back country.

come2elmo

WKR
since you have familiarity with the Durango area I would focus there. Put in for first rifle since that is draw and go second or third if you don’t pull a tag. Forget the spotter. E-scout a bunch of spots and then go see them when you are there over Labor Day. Get familiar with the roads and access points and count the number of campsites you stumble across. Deterime what roads have limits to camping on the road. You will have a leg up on all us other dirty Texans.

prm

WKR
As long as you have the stove in the tipi you’ll be ok. It was very low single digits where I was hunting in 1st rifle. 4th rifle was actually much warmer so you just never know.

Pick a unit near where vacation and take a day or two to scout. At least find a place to park and have a couple camping sites in mind. Going to the ’end’ of the road is not always ideal as many others may do that.