Which company has the best base layers

jd1006

WKR
I think it depends is always going to be the answer.

Best lightweight merino - Sitka (higher merino %, thinner, more comfortable)
Best heavier weight merino - First Light (more options, more weights)
Best Synthetic - Kuiu (the different weights, the strong fleece line is feature-filled, and the Peloton 97 layer alone is unmatched by anyone).

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
We highly recommend First Lite base layers. While KUIU and others are a bit lighter, they are also less durable and tend to pill easily. I've found that FL Merino-X is a great middle ground between comfort, weight and durability.

If I had to choose only one, I'd pick the FL Kiln Midweight 250 as my personal favorite.

DuckDogDr

WKR
I’ve had the Minus 33 and Kuiu.. I like my minus33 much better.. more comfortable and durable. Haven’t tried other brands

There are tons of companies that make merino base layers. Just do an Amazon search. Smartwool, Meriwool, and others make fine base layers that are most often far cheaper than the “hunting” brands mentioned in this thread as the “best”.

I have no doubt that FL, Kuiu, Stone Glacier, and Sitka make great gear, but I’m not sure the lemon is worth the squeeze ($$$) when it comes to base layers.

As mentioned before, the Meriwool stuff I bought has been excellent. I wore these against my skin for the last 3 weeks during the Iowa late muzzleloader season and haven’t washed them yet. They do not smell, the stitching is still 100%, and there is no piling.

You can get both the 250 weight 100% merino half zip tops and matching bottoms for $60 each on Amazon. That is 40-50% cheaper than the hunting name brands on this thread.

OP
Boertje_11
What makes Sitka and FL the best options, in your opinion?
I should have clarified that they have been the best options out of the ones that I have had and tried. FL and Sitka both have been super comfortable and warm but it seemed like the FL base layers were more durable than the Sitka.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
I will say do not discredit Minus33. I’ve always been a First Lite wool guy and it’s been great…I’ve went BlackOvis and Mnt Ops Merino for work now and I’ve went Minus33 Expedition weight long Johns and they’ve been great. I would say they are easily just as good as the above mentioned companies but wouldn’t say much of a cost savings.

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
I think it depends is always going to be the answer.

Best lightweight merino - Sitka (higher merino %, thinner, more comfortable)
Best heavier weight merino - First Light (more options, more weights)
Best Synthetic - Kuiu (the different weights, the strong fleece line is feature-filled, and the Peloton 97 layer alone is unmatched by anyone).
I think he’s nailed it here.

I love FL but it’s delicate and after a season it’s just not the same.

Kuiu isn’t a soft as FL

Arcteryx is $$$

SG is awesome! SG is stepping up and I think with the sell and influx of capital we will see BADASS products from Kurt and the SG crew.

Honyock

WKR
Definitely merino. Kuiu zip off ultra merino bottoms will change your life. Kuiu and Blackovis on the merino.

Wasn't too impressed with my 125 merino from Kuiu. Bought 2 - took 1 on It's first hunt and it pilled and snagged hard enough that I returned my other one once I got back. It's mostly cosmetic issues, but I expected more durability (having never owned lightweight merino).

For fit and price, the Sitka core lightweight stuff is untouchable imo (bottom & ls top are only $70/each and easily found 20+% off) I can’t imagine anything being more comfortable when scent control isn’t a priority. Haven’t tried their merino.

FL and Black Ovis are both great for merino, but the FL seems to fit better. Haven’t had issues with scent or durability in either.

I don’t have any Kuiu baselayers (the Peloton 97 is a midlayer and no one will convince me otherwise).

Smartwool boxers and socks are comfortable and well made. I imagine the baselayers would be as well.

I also ended up with a pair of UA Hunt bottoms (60% off on a clearance rack), and they’re the itchiest, most odd fitting bottoms I’ve worn. MSRP was like $100 on those, to top it off.

It’s a tough one, and odd. I wear mostly Sitka. I have a couple FL wick short sleeve shirts but don’t wear them often. I almost always wear synthetic tops (core crew, lightweight and heavyweight hoodies), and if I wear any baselayer bottoms is always merino. I have yet to find anything that works better for me than the FL kiln and wick boot top bottoms.

For me, if they're not zip off bottoms I have no use for them regardless of quality or price. I trash my base layers constantly going from on to off and back on again, I replace them every other year. The convenience is worth it for me.

Merino wool is the way to go.

The fit and comfort of first lite base layers are worth the price tag to me. It all starts with the base layers and next to skin layers. I’ve had mine for 4 years and I wear them every single hunt, some signs of wear but no holes! I think durability comes along with a price tag as well.

mlgc20

WKR
I was using Icebreaker merino base layers long before any of the modern hunting brands were even around. I've tried the FL, Kuiu, & Sitka base layers. None of them gave me a reason to switch from Icebreaker. Although I do still use the Sitka merino boxers pretty regularly.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
depends

are you looking for merino base layers or synthetic?

merino is nice from a odor standpoint, especially on longer trips, but that's the only real advantage to merino

good synthetic base layers simply outperform good merino base layers- they breathe better, move moisture better and dry faster

Sitka Lightweight Core hoody for hunting season, Outdoor Research Echo hoody for other than hunting season and Patagonia Thermal Weight for winter

if merino is what your looking for, I suggest looking at blends (merino and syn) they hold up better and you get some of the benefits of syn (quicker drying, moisture movement) vs 100% merino