Which diaphragm Elk call are you using?

jd65

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to purchase my first diaphragm elk call to make simple cow calls and wanting to see what most people use.

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the BRO 3 pack this year. They're easy to use and have a little variety in their sounds.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
J

jd65

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the BRO 3 pack this year. They're easy to use and have a little variety in their sounds.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I was looking in to the Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls Elk 101 3 pack but I'll check out that BRO 3 pack. Maybe I'll order both. These things are fairly cheap so maybe I'll have to experiment and see what fits and works for me.

CMF

WKR
I'm new to calling and have been trying several of the Rocky Mountain calls, so far I like the Black Magic GTP the best.

OP
J

jd65

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone try the little hand held cow calls? Any preference over the diaphragm call or are they each for different purposes?

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my Phelps calls (Red, Pink, White, Gray, Black) in yesterday. Wow, they sound great and are easy to blow. Can't give specific recommendation yet, but first impression is they seem better than the 3-ish other brands of calls that I have.

Moneyball

WKR
I have used Rocky Mountain Elk Calls in the past, which I liked. This year I will be using Phelps Green, Pink, and Red. Really liking them so far.

OP
J

jd65

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my Phelps calls (Red, Pink, White, Gray, Black) in yesterday. Wow, they sound great and are easy to blow. Can't give specific recommendation yet, but first impression is they seem better than the 3-ish other brands of calls that I have.

I have used Rocky Mountain Elk Calls in the past, which I liked. This year I will be using Phelps Green, Pink, and Red. Really liking them so far.

Where are you buying the Phelps calls from? The shipping a diaphragm call costs as much as the call it self.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Phelps was recently on the Meateater podcast and suggested new users to order the black and grey, one will likely work well for you, then from there they can suggest other similar. I much prefer phelps over RMGC, they fit me better and therefore sound better.

I've tried about 10 different ones this summer from 3 different companies (Phelps, RMHC, Wapiti River). My favorites are the Phelps Maverick, Phelps Grey, Phelps Pink, and the brown RMHC. Each one has it quirks that I can't get with another. The Phelps Grey and brown RMHC give me the best contact/locator bugles. For lip balls and rasp, I like the pink. Maverick is probably my favorite "all around".

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I have calls from both Rocky Mountain and Phelps, and my two favorites are the Herd Bull from Rocky Mountain and the gray Amp from Phelps.

OP
J

jd65

Lil-Rokslider
Blackovis has free shipping and carries Phelps and Rocky mountain I believe

Phelps was recently on the Meateater podcast and suggested new users to order the black and grey, one will likely work well for you, then from there they can suggest other similar. I much prefer phelps over RMGC, they fit me better and therefore sound better.

Thanks, Just checked out Blackovis and is indeed free shipping! Problem is they are out of stock on a few of the ones mentioned. I'll get what I can.

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone try the little hand held cow calls? Any preference over the diaphragm call or are they each for different purposes?

I have been using the Rocky Mountain Game calls for a while and really like them. I started with the green All Star, and now use the Black Magic. I think the 101 pack would be a good place to start. I learned on the All Star and thought it was really easy. I have tried the Phelps, Primos, and Carlton, and just found the Rocky Mountain to be easier and work better for me.

I recently listened to a podcast where Phelps suggest the grey for their beginner. My suggestion would be to get a couple and see what you like/works best for you.

As far as the hand held, I like them a lot too. They can be much easier to use, and I have had a lot of success with them. That being said, one major drawback is not being able to use it at full draw. A lot of the time you will want to stop the bull while at full draw, and it is nice to do that free handed with a diaphragm. Hope this helps, and good luck this fall.

P.S., whatever you decide, just practice practice practice.

Phelps also said that the fridge/freezer was a good place to store your calls

OP
J

jd65

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the Rocky Mountain Game calls for a while and really like them. I started with the green All Star, and now use the Black Magic. I think the 101 pack would be a good place to start. I learned on the All Star and thought it was really easy. I have tried the Phelps, Primos, and Carlton, and just found the Rocky Mountain to be easier and work better for me.

I recently listened to a podcast where Phelps suggest the grey for their beginner. My suggestion would be to get a couple and see what you like/works best for you.

As far as the hand held, I like them a lot too. They can be much easier to use, and I have had a lot of success with them. That being said, one major drawback is not being able to use it at full draw. A lot of the time you will want to stop the bull while at full draw, and it is nice to do that free handed with a diaphragm. Hope this helps, and good luck this fall.

P.S., whatever you decide, just practice practice practice.

Phelps also said that the fridge/freezer was a good place to store your calls

Thanks. I never would have thought of the freezer to store them at the house. What about to protect them while in your pack or bino harness? I just seen the little storage bag Phelps sells for.... $26
I doubt it would be hard to make a little storage bag or container

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I never would have thought of the freezer to store them at the house. What about to protect them while in your pack or bino harness? I just seen the little storage bag Phelps sells for.... $26
I doubt it would be hard to make a little storage bag or container

Ya, Ive seen those. Honestly, most of the Rocky Mountain calls come in a tiny ziplock, so I just throw them in that, and put it in the pocket on my bino harness. And if they don't have the baggie, then I just put them directly in my bino harness pocket

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
Phelps pink. it's easy for me to get all the sounds i need but mostly because i'm less likely to lose that fluorescent pink joker. oh and it matches my under roosters

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The mistress is a great all around call for the full range of soft mews to screaming bugles and grunts bugling bull you have to find the one you simply throw in and your golden👍