Which direction

Delta21

FNG
Been southeast hunter for 25 years, so have plenty experience chasing local game. Looking to head west for first hunt before I get old. Don’t mind to work for a good opportunity. With that said, which states would be the best for a rookie when it comes to elk and mulies?

Not Montana. We have lots of deer here and an abundance of elk, mostly on private land.

Zappaman

WKR
I lived in NM for 20 years (had several ranches there). But public hunting for desert mule deer is still good there. BUT, you have to get WAY out (away from the usual spots) to find them. I'd suggest anything in the "black range" but there are some sweet BLM spots in the SW part of the state IF you do some work (and are willing to go in deep). I suggest calling the BLM office in Las Cruces NM and asking them. They are a great resource and will help you out. Just ask for the "wilderness biologist" when you call. (I have hunted with the former biologist since 1987)... they love getting these RARE calls (and it's their job to take them)!