Which eyeglasses ?

Titan_Bow

WKR
So seems like age is catching up with me and I now need glasses. For the guys that wear eyeglasses, is there a brand and/or style that works best for hunting and an overall active lifestyle?

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
I utilize Warby Parker. Lenses may not be top quality but have worked fine for me at a lower price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apollo117

WKR
There's a thread about prescription eyewear for hunting and recreation. I think several guys wear prescription goggles when hunting or hiking.

go_deep

WKR
I said screw it after 15 years and had lasik done about 8 years ago, worth ever penny!

pjh360

FNG
When I got to the point where I needed glasses (for distance vision, not close up) I decided after some trial and error that contacts were better for hunting than glasses. I use daily disposables so no cases or disinfecting - just toss them at the end of the day. With glasses I had fogging problems and also had to be constantly turning my head to see things clearly. When not hunting I wear glasses (which is most of the time) so I went with a quality pair with titanium frames, Carl Zeiss lenses with anti-glare and scratch resistant coatings.

peterk123

WKR
I use progressives. I would run contacts but I have a lazy eye since birth so glasses are also protecting my one good eye from harm. I use them for handguns, rifle, archery and skiing. Always top end stuff, shatterproof lenses, anti glare, photochromatic, etc. The one thing I learned early on is do not go with too small of a lens if you wear transitions. It causes some issues during things like bowhunting and if you are up in a tree. Just not enough lens between transitions, so you have issues when dealing with sharp angles. Go as large as reasonably possible.

Spendy, but I like my Maui Jim prescription sunglasses. Fit, feel and lenses are outstanding for all the outdoor activities that I do. Next up is my Costco pair with transition sunglasses in amber. Take your time and try several on. Have them suggest the frames that fit your face and prescription otherwise you will fight them the whole time.

Erict

WKR
+peterk123 recommendations. I had small lens transitions and the lenses got dark but so much light spilled in from the edges it was hard to see, especially without a brimmed hat on.

My eye condition cannot be fixed by surgery, so it's glasses forever. For everyday wear, I would recommend good glass lenses with scratchproof and glare coatings.

For hunting situations I would consider getting 1 or 2 pair of good polycarbonate or "plastic" lenses with larger lenses for protection. If you are like me, it's only a matter of time before you drop your hunting glasses on rock, or scratch the lenses using a shirt to wipe them off, or put them in a pocket and scratch them.

PS - the first time I went to the store they talked me into my regular lenses, plus a pair of prescription "reading glasses". Little did I know that "reading glasses" means 6" from my face. The third kind that they never told me about but which I should have got were "computer glasses" which are for distances behind a computer screen or in an office type environment.

Good luck!

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
My Lasik correction finally gave out a few years ago, and now it's difficult for me to wear contacts.

So, I picked up some Oakley frames with Transition lenses. I use them mountain biking, backpacking, archery and rifle hunting. The frames are very tough and the lenses are easy to remove and clean.

JCohHTX

FNG
Got a cheap pair online from Zenni that I use for hunting. For me, they seem nicer than Warby Parker.

Voyageur

WKR
I agree with what others have said about making sure the lens is big enough. I wear top of the line transition lenses with all the different coatings and automatic darkening when the sun is bright....can't remember the term for it. If you do things in bright glaring sunlight (think snow or beach) where you need to read a screen such as your phone or the remote for a predator call you might want to have a pair without the automatic lens darkening. I know that seems counter-intuitive, but the bright glare darkens the lenses too much (to read the screen) in those situations.
For the past 5 or 6 years I've had the flextron frames...the kind you can twist and bend without breaking. My 2 new pairs won't be having that feature as I've found over time the flextron frames get too flexible and won't hold their adjustments on your nose and ears.
Glasses aren't ideal, but I always remind myself they are much much better than the alternative.
Hope this helps.

I’m nearsighted and have trouble wearing contacts due to dry eye.

My go to glasses for outdoors have been Switchvision brand (specifically the H-wall swept version). They have interchangeable RX lenses and offer good eye protection while being comfortable for running , boating, etc.

I have lenses that are dark tinted for sunlight, amber for low light, and now clear.

I wouldn’t say I love them, because I’d rather be able to wear contacts or to be a good candidate for LASIK or PRK, but they have worked about as good as any and are very comfortable to wear all day.

I do take them off for glassing w/ binos and spotter. Now at 49 yrs old I’m having trouble reading and seeing up close with them on, so bifocals are likely in my future.

I also just started using a verifier lens in my peep sight on my bow, since the pins have become blurry while wearing glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
We all seem to see it same, fwiw

nice frame for work with progressives, transition, glare and thin polycarbonate

fir general hunting and shooting, flexible type frame in single line bifocal. Progressive can have distorted in upper corners of lens when shooting bow. I have the reader or close vision set to 12-14” my preferred range for tying fishing lures. Also have it set low and shallow in frame to maximize distance viewing and shooting. No transition at all, too dark in timber but do use anti glare.

Maui Jim expensive sunglasses with extras.

F8 brand googles for bushwhacking or or home construction type stuff. They are set exactly like my flexibile frame above. They aren’t ugly, sporty looking.

5C2018E0-34F5-4CE5-B554-783DCA164D5C.jpeg

TheGDog

WKR
Definitely not progressives for hunting. It'll make ya have to move your head too much in order to see things on the edges of your FOV. And ESPECIALLY not progressives if getting to a hunting area involves MTB or any other kind of riding. Really no bueno for that! Horrible depth perception for obstacles which are nearer. Actually kinda scary when you're trying to ride fast.

My glasses that are setup for hunting are biased towards viewing at longer distance in the main part of the glass, the bifocal part is set to be not as tall up from the bottom as is the norm. Work with your opthamologist, you can pick however tall you want that part, In order to provide maximum FOV. My Rx does make shooting pistols w/ iron sites kinda suck, I need nice chunky sights for it to work right with this glasses setup as the irons, being close, bot not "reading" close, are fuzzy. But with chunky sites it's no problem, ya just line up the fuzzy squares equally! (hehe). Somebody mentioned bowhunting, yeah that would SUCK with progressives on. When shooting bow your eyeball is looking just past the bridge of your nose so the innermost edge of your lense on your dominant eye.

Also... for my hunting glasses I chose frames with the widest glass area to them that still looked decent/appealing. On bottom it's very near to cheek, on top extends up to eyebrow. I've found it works awesome while on my sits as the only thing not covered is my eye port in the facemask, so having the glasses cover as much of that as possible works great because it prevents insects from trying to go in behind the lense. So I'm not having to blow to shoo the insect away anymore.

I never got transitions, that's what the visor of your hat is for! Besides the transitions don't change instantly anyway so if your hike is in and out of the trees that could be bad. Personally I'd recommend metal frames, so you can custom bend and tweak the arms on them at will to your desired comfort and retention level to your own head shape.

ALWAYS bring a 2nd pair with you out there! And ALWAYS have some kinda backup pair in the truck so you can drive home just in case! You WILL drop them one day and a lense WILL eventually pop out on you! You can usually get it back in, but if you can't, you'd be very screwed. You will start getting in the habit of having multiple lense wipe cloths in your pack, in your jacket pocket, etc. It's a pain when you first hike-in and arrive to your spot on a cold humid morning and your body is giving off TONS of water vapor from that long hike-in... hence the lens wiping cloths. You kinda have to learn to purse your lips downward to direct your exhalations downward and away from your glasses in such conditions.

Oh... and take caution not to pick frames which have a shine. Thinner is better in terms of concealment.

Another note on the metal frames that you can tweak/bend at will. When you're field dressing an animal, your head is looking/tilted downward a lot. Normally I have my glasses arms bent so that they aren't pushing into my head very much otherwise I'll get a tension headache. So when I've got to start deboning the animal, before beginning ya reach back and bend back in the ends of the arms near the ear for better retention while you're cutting up the meat... otherwise you're constantly having to push the dang glasses back up with your wrist. Or at least those of us with Rx's that start making the glass a bit thicker and heavier do.

Last edited:

Fitzwho

WKR
Specifically for hunting I would use a sporty/well fitted frame with clear lenses. Think like WileyX or Oakley, etc.

Should reduce issues with the glasses interfering with eye relief on your optics. I end up not wearing sunglasses when hunting because I don't like taking them on and off to look through binos.

I had Lasik done 5 years ago. It admittedly was the most painful thing I have ever done (including 3 ACL reconstruction surgeries). But it only hurt for a couple hours and the further I get away from that couple hours of pain, the more worth it it becomes.. Some people have some pain issues like I had, some people never have any pain. It was definitely weird smelling the smoke from my eye getting burned by a laser.

Brooks

WKR
Don’t go with a cheap pair of frames !! I have a pair of Oakley frames and progressive lenses in clear and a pair of prescription sunglasses with Oakley frames. I spent a lot on them but they are worth every penny I spent on them.
Also make sure you go to a very good eye doctor to be examined and have everything done right. Do it right and glasses are no big deal to wear.

TheGDog

WKR
I had Lasik done 5 years ago. It admittedly was the most painful thing I have ever done (including 3 ACL reconstruction surgeries). But it only hurt for a couple hours and the further I get away from that couple hours of pain, the more worth it it becomes.. Some people have some pain issues like I had, some people never have any pain. It was definitely weird smelling the smoke from my eye getting burned by a laser.
Questions sir, (especially since "I know my luck" ) : When the procedure caused you this intense pain, what remedies where offered up by those performing the procedure? Did they give you Morphine drops or something like that?

How long did it take to get past this painful period completely? When did you know the "dust had settled" on that part of it?

nrh6.7

WKR
We all seem to see it same, fwiw

nice frame for work with progressives, transition, glare and thin polycarbonate

fir general hunting and shooting, flexible type frame in single line bifocal. Progressive can have distorted in upper corners of lens when shooting bow. I have the reader or close vision set to 12-14” my preferred range for tying fishing lures. Also have it set low and shallow in frame to maximize distance viewing and shooting. No transition at all, too dark in timber but do use anti glare.

Maui Jim expensive sunglasses with extras.

F8 brand googles for bushwhacking or or home construction type stuff. They are set exactly like my flexibile frame above. They aren’t ugly, sporty looking.

View attachment 264778
Good info and saving for later

If you bowhunt and get bifocals.

Find an eye doctor that bow hunts so they can set them right. My dad had a really hard time with this until he found someone that bowhunted. He has a pair for traditional and a pair for modern. It turns out the guy has a big chunk of his business referred to him through guys like my dad. It's a "thing."