Which factory model 280AI - Browning, Savage, other?

RSC12

FNG
Hey Guys,

I'm still super new to all of this so any advice is always appreciated. I'm starting to save for a new rifle and am so far leaning on a 280AI. I currently shoot my fathers older Parker Hale 7mm rem mag. It shoots ok but definitely isn't light and to be honest I sometimes have issues with bringing it on some of the hikes I do. It has a lot of sentimental value to me and I'd hate to damage it.

Anyways, I'm leaning towards the 280AI as it seems to give me almost what I have with the 7RM but with less recoil and an extra round in the magazine. I'm also curious about the new 6.8 Western but its so new and I don't know enough about firearms to really decide if it would be better or not.

If I was to go with the 280AI what would be peoples recommendations for a factory rifle under $1500. I'm leaning towards the Browning HC Speed, and also tossing around the Browning Western Hunter and the Savage 110 Ultralight. I guess I'm asking how much concern should I place into rifle weight and what is a good dependable mid level mountain rifle.

I'd like a good packable rifle that I can carry on longer hikes and will work for both mule deer and elk. I'll also add in that I am planning on reloading for the future.

As always thanks for the advice.

RSC

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
Ya id love a kimber. Definitely at the top of my budget especially for the lighter ones. Would make it harder to get a better scope. Also living in BC they don't seem to be as easy to find to see how they feel in hand.

I just sold my Hell’s Canyon speed in 30-06. Super accurate gun. 1” groups at 300yds.
I’m going to replace it with a savage 110 ultralite. I’ve done a lot of research on it and people tend to say with the 110 since it only has a 22” barrel it’s not worth the ammo cost of 280ai. Unless you reload. 30-06 or even 270 with 140gr Barnes will pretty much pretty much match what the 280 will do in a 22” barrel with factory ammo.

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
Thanks guys. A buddy just bought a CM in the 110 ultralight. Its super nice. I'm just not sure about the stock. I've heard that its a little flexible. Also thats a good point about the lost performance from a shorter barrel.

Another buddy has a 6.5PRC in a browning max long range. Again another awesome rifle but its a little heavier then I want.

I'm definitely not a rifle snob and also don't have the funds to buy a bunch of different ones. Hence why I'm just wanting to find a good practical (yet slightly fun) rifle I can hunt with for the next 30years. If I didn't have the want to also hunt elk and moose then I'd be willing to look at a smaller caliber but just from what I've been researching it seems like a 7mm is a decent size for all that I want and the 280AI just eases off the recoil from my old 7RM a little. But maybe I should just get a newer/lighter 7RM and be done with it.

Also living in BC the option to take the rifle on sheep and goat hunts makes me want to get a lighter rifle. Just not sure how light is really practical. Would a 6lb13oz browning HC speed be considered good or not worth it.

I have a Kimber Hunter 280 AI that shoots as good as I can shoot it. I have a VX3 3.5-10x50 on it. With a sling and 4 rounds it weighs in right at 7 pounds 2 oz.

BjornF16

WKR
Go Browning with 1:8 twist barrel for heavy/long bullets (the others are 1:9 twist)

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
anyone else have any opinions?

I like the twist rate of the browning of 1:8 and if I could afford /find the pro to keep it close to 6lbs that would be awesome but right now the savage ultra lite seems to have the weight and price win but a 1:9.5 twist.

Go with the browning and don’t look back. Better twist rate, 24” barrel, and 6.5 lbs is still really light. I sold my Hell’s canyon and am getting an Ultralite to replace it. Only because the X Bolt stock doesn’t fit me right.

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
Go with the browning and don’t look back. Better twist rate, 24” barrel, and 6.5 lbs is still really light. I sold my Hell’s canyon and am getting an Ultralite to replace it. Only because the X Bolt stock doesn’t fit me right.
Which xbolt would you suggest? HC speed (6lb13oz) or western hunter (6lb9oz) both come in 24"

The pro is obviously the most expensive and the lightest (6lb2oz) but 26"

Money is definitely a factor but it just means I'll have to save longer. I would rather buy once cry once with this rifle. I'm the kinda guy who will probably pass this down to my kids.

Which xbolt would you suggest? HC speed (6lb13oz) or western hunter (6lb9oz) both come in 24"

The pro is obviously the most expensive and the lightest (6lb2oz) but 26"

Money is definitely a factor but it just means I'll have to save longer. I would rather buy once cry once with this rifle. I'm the kinda guy who will probably pass this down to my kids.
Depends on what features you want. The HC is cerakoted, but a little heavier. (I don’t understand why the 280ai is heavier than other calibers. 30-06 is 6lbs 9oz).
The western Hunter has a Blued barrel, and adjustable comb, and is a little lighter.
It seems to me that the western hunter might be the way to go, but you can’t go wrong either way.
I don’t think you’re really gaining anything going up to the x bolt pro

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
Depends on what features you want. The HC is cerakoted, but a little heavier. (I don’t understand why the 280ai is heavier than other calibers. 30-06 is 6lbs 9oz).
The western Hunter has a Blued barrel, and adjustable comb, and is a little lighter.
It seems to me that the western hunter might be the way to go, but you can’t go wrong either way.
I don’t think you’re really gaining anything going up to the x bolt pro
Thanks I appreciate it. I really have very little to compare to and never know what features are worth spending on and what are worth passing over (cerakote, stainless, fluting, etc). My current rifle (7RM) is close to 9lbs bare so both are a weight savings.

But I also have read enough to know that lighter rifles can be more difficult to shoot. I seem fine shooting my 7mm at its weight (other than I don't like packing it - 11.5lbs w bipod) so hopefully a 280AI a little lighter should be fine.

I don’t think you’re really gaining anything going up to the x
Thanks I appreciate it. I really have very little to compare to and never know what features are worth spending on and what are worth passing over (cerakote, stainless, fluting, etc). My current rifle (7RM) is close to 9lbs bare so both are a weight savings.

But I also have read enough to know that lighter rifles can be more difficult to shoot. I seem fine shooting my 7mm at its weight (other than I don't like packing it - 11.5lbs w bipod) so hopefully a 280AI a little lighter should be fine.

Cerakote is just more forgiving when it comes to rust (vs blueing). But blues has been around forever and it’s not like it’s a bad thing. Anything sub 7lbs is still a very light rifle. Id see if you can handle one of them to see if the stock fits you well. (It did not fit me well. It was too straight for me, but the adjustable comb could help with that.) If they fit you well, I’d get whichever is available. It’s gonna be a great gun regardless

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
Cerakote is just more forgiving when it comes to rust (vs blueing). But blues has been around forever and it’s not like it’s a bad thing. Anything sub 7lbs is still a very light rifle. Id see if you can handle one of them to see if the stock fits you well. (It did not fit me well. It was too straight for me, but the adjustable comb could help with that.) If they fit you well, I’d get whichever is available. It’s gonna be a great gun regardless
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!

Find a used Winchester Model 70 with the controlled round feed like I did and have it barreled to a 280AI. 1-9 twist Shilen match grad barrel. - 140 gr. Accubonds at 3186 and 140 gr. Partitions 3230 fps. Used the Accubonds on my grizzly bear in 2019. ONE SHOT!

A used Ruger Hawkeye or MKII in 280 Remington would be simple to chamber or rebarrel to the 280AI. I'd rebarrel if it was me because they come with the 22" barrel in the 280 Remington and I feel that the 280AI deserves the longer barrel as you do get more velocity out of it. Put a nice stock like a B&C with the aluminum bedding block and you would be all set. The Ruger is a controlled round feed also and they are a stock action just like the Winchester. I really like the scope mounting system on the Ruger's also. Hard to beat it.

Another coating to look into is John Norrell Arms Moly Resin. That's what I had put on my custom 280AI on the Winchester action. After a few seasons now it's been holding up great. They use this product in the Aerospace industry so you know it has to be good for that!

Wassid82

WKR
Loved my Kimber Mountain Ascent. Sweet rifle tagged out several times and amazing to carry.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Ruger now makes a Hawkeye African in 280 AI with a 24" barrel (although at 7.5 lbs.) that is supposed to retail at about $1k. I haven't seen any available yet. Anyone handled or shot one?

Bhanes

FNG
If you stay with the 7 mag, check out the tikka t3 ultralight. I bought my wife one chambered in 6.5 cm, it’s a shooter, light, and I paid under 700 for it brand new.