Which factory model 280AI - Browning, Savage, other?

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
Are you planning on any aftermarket mods to the rifle? If so avoid Browning, but if you're just planning on running it as is the Browning is a nice choice. Personally, I'd go with a Savage High Country. I prefer those to the Ultralight, but that is entirely personal preference. Savage makes a nice rifle, and you'd save some cost with that instead of the Ultralight. I just had a 280AI built, and I'm pretty impressed with the round so far. I'm shooting 175ABLR's at just shy of 2800fps. Plenty of punch for hunting most anything in north America, with minimal recoil and muzzle blast. If you do decide a 7RM is what you wanna stick with I strongly second the Tikka route. Or just get a Tikka in .270 for $600 and have a 280AI barrel put on it for another $600 and call it a day, it will outshoot Browning or Savage and be a better rifle in the long run. Just something to keep in mind as an option. Tikka's have a TON of aftermarket support for upgrades later also. Also, you would be able to get a 1-8" twist barrel for that Tikka which I would recommend. It opens up a lot more bullets for use that a slower twist would prohibit.

Attachments

• IMG_5027.JPG
    IMG_5027.JPG
    444.4 KB · Views: 44

manitou1

WKR
Are you planning on any aftermarket mods to the rifle? If so avoid Browning, but if you're just planning on running it as is the Browning is a nice choice. Personally, I'd go with a Savage High Country. I prefer those to the Ultralight, but that is entirely personal preference. Savage makes a nice rifle, and you'd save some cost with that instead of the Ultralight. I just had a 280AI built, and I'm pretty impressed with the round so far. I'm shooting 175ABLR's at just shy of 2800fps. Plenty of punch for hunting most anything in north America, with minimal recoil and muzzle blast. If you do decide a 7RM is what you wanna stick with I strongly second the Tikka route. Or just get a Tikka in .270 for $600 and have a 280AI barrel put on it for another $600 and call it a day, it will outshoot Browning or Savage and be a better rifle in the long run. Just something to keep in mind as an option. Tikka's have a TON of aftermarket support for upgrades later also. Also, you would be able to get a 1-8" twist barrel for that Tikka which I would recommend. It opens up a lot more bullets for use that a slower twist would prohibit.
What makes you so sure it will outshoot Brownings? Have you tested them against each other? My X-Bolts are easy sub half inch guns... consistently.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
Ive shot Brownings, Tikkas, Winchesters, about every variety of bolt gun out there. Tikka's have been more consistently accurate across the board than about any other brand I've seen. At a lot less cost, with a ton more options for parts and upgrades after the fact. Not knocking your rifle, just saying that I've been more impressed by Tikka's for the cost, than anything else.

HeathH

FNG
I turned a Tikka .270 into a fast-twist .280AI for under $1200.
It shoots lights out. I also chopped the barrel to 22”. Much handier to handle and the performance loss was negligible.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
It shoots lights out. I also chopped the barrel to 22”. Much handier to handle and the performance loss was negligible.
Yup, Tikka is where its at. Whether its a factory rife or one ya put a few bucks into after the fact, it will just plain shoot. And shoot pretty much everything you feed it, and shoot it well.

Sobrbiker

WKR
anyone else have any opinions?

....savage ultra lite seems to have the weight and price win but a 1:9.5 twist.

I’m looking for a similar setup, and just wanted to point out that the Savage rifling is 1:9. Their site shows 1:9 5R, and the “5R” is the style of rifling.
The 110 ultralight seems pretty nice, but I’m leaning towards the 110 Hunter or Storm since they have the aluminum chassis in the Accustock, whereas the Ultralight just has the pillared, yet adjustable Accufit stock.

I’m pretty sure the surgeon that installed some junk in my shoulder would prefer I man up and carry an extra pound or two than go as light as possible in a near-magnum rifle😉

Sako76

WKR
I hear good things about the Brownings. I had a Kimber Montana in 7-08 that shot great with little recoil, I'm not sure how the recoil on a Kimber in 280 AI would be. I have a Legendary Arms Works (LAW) in 280 AI. It shoots Nosler Trophy Grade factory 140 Accubonds and Hornady factory 162 ELD-X's half inch groups. It shoots the Nosler Trophy Grade 160 grain Partition 3/4"-1". Love the rifle, CRF, Cerakoted, fluted barrel, removeable brake, 3 poistion wing safety and great stock. Every once and awhile you will see a used one.

Heath, would you mind telling me what barrel you used? I'm considering a similar build

HeathH

FNG
Douglas #3.
1:8 or 9, can’t remember it’s been awhile. Answer is probably obvious when you look at the selections.
Shooting 160 AB over 59.5g of RL22.
I’m very comfortable out to 500 yd and shot a grizzly in AK in August at 235 that was dead right there.