Which Fieldcraft?

Not that I need another rifle, but I can get a bit of a deal on a Barrett Fieldcraft so I have been looking at the 18" vs 21" and which caliber? Also saw the special edition ones and the Green Cerakote 22" threaded 6.5 CM looks interesting but costs more. Any one have that version?

I moved to AK last year and would mainly use it for Sheep/Goat rifle to 500 yds. So I was leaning towards short action. It would also be a back up rifle when we go bowhunting, and also an option for bears over bait for my teenagers. Can't have too many rifles with growing kids!

I have a Z5 to put on it. Some of the calibers I already have are, 243 win, 308 win and a sweet light weight long range set up 7 saum built by John at Mesa Precision, on one of the first Ti Crux ( serial number 0014 ) actions.

So the thoughts are go with a 243 for light recoil in a light rifle, or go with a 308 for a bit more energy if we cross a bear in the Brooks range? I already load for those calibers so it would be easy. Or go in between with a 6.5 CM or a 7-08 for something new?

BFgreen.jpg

WKR
Shot my goat with a 6.5 140 vld. It has performed very well on many animals. I'd go that green version with the slightly heavier barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. 7mm-08 would pull in a close second.

OP
wildwilderness
Bullet selection is always a thought. On shots less than 500, especially with smaller calibers I have had good luck with Barnes bullets. Have been considering Hammer Bullets for this application. With mono's it seems velocity is more important than BC....

howl

WKR
Do you want to throw 100gr, 120gr, 140gr or 165gr? Those weight match up to various calibers mentioned in the usual hunting bullets.

khuber84

WKR
If I were to buy a fieldcraft, I'd go 6.5x55. Lapua brass is cheap, performance better than 260 or creed. Ream it out to ackley imp and it'll run very well. The chamber already has a lot of freebore for long heavy high BC bullets, and it being an intermediate length case, it works fantastic in the fieldcract action that only allows 3.4" case in the mag well. I'd buy a fieldcract in a heartbeat if they ever chambered straight 284win.

deadwolf

WKR
I regret selling my Fieldcraft a bit, and if I was gonna get another one, I’d go 7mm-08 and shoot the 162 Eldx. Will out perform the 178eldx in 308 win, and not giving up but 12gr in bullet weight. Shoot, I may have talked myself back into one.

jhm2023

WKR
I got the 18" version in 6.5 CM for my wife and we both really liked it. Then one day we saw the green and black cerakote 22" 6.5 CM at a local shop and traded the old one for it. It looks a lot better, is more weather resistant, and I was able to squeeze another 100 FPS out of it. Both shot under half MOA. I load 127gr. Barnes LRX in it right at 2,900 FPS so I'm not too concerned about happening on a grizz while in the Brook's.

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
I want the 6.5 but haven't settled on the 18 or 21in. Likely will be whatever used one pops up the I end up buying

OP
wildwilderness
A 280 ai would be a great addition to the LA line. Any other new calibers? 6.5 prc?

My question though would be recoil in such a light weight rifle? Would probably need a brake or suppressor but that would add weight.

khuber84

WKR
The fieldcract is based off the forbes la 24b and sa 20b actions, the number indicates their weight respectively. The sa has a generous 3" mag length, the la has a restricted 3.42" if I recall. I have a 24b in 270 and it's a shooter, however the bolt is gritty and course. The Barrett versions are much more refined from the few I've handled, very nice purpose driven rifles. I don't see them offering a mag bolt face. If a guy were to persue this action in magnum size, the Colt lite rifle was made in 300wm & 7mag, it was Melvin Forbes' first attempt to commercialize his rifles and ultimately lead to the same demise as the Forbes line. His custom company is NULA(New ultra light arms) makes a beautiful trim accurate rifle. Melvin is getting quite long in the tooth but is still putting out great rifles however lead time is quite long.

Last edited:

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a pic (sorry for bad quality)of that Green 22” Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5CM I just set up his week. Talley pic rail, Seekins Lows and Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 Forceplex. I opted for durability and reliability with this set-up over making it an ultralight rig. That could change after my sheep hunt though! This will be my sheep and caribou, (possibly goat) rig this year. I really like the ergonomics/fit over my .308 Tikka T3x SL and the barrel does seem to settle down nicely with the slightly heavier contour.

1bac3f86b31264594a222112100092fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wildwilderness
I have read some reviews that the stainless on Fieldcrafts would still rust a bit? Any experience with that?

The cerakote would seem to address that. Also how much would an aftermarket cerakote job cost, and is it even possible with the fully bedded Fieldcraft?

Also wondering if the cerakote Fieldcraft is over stainless steel or regular barrel steel? And does it even matter?

Last edited:
I have read some reviews that the stainless on Fieldcrafts would still rust a bit? Any experience with that?

The cerakote would seem to address that. Also how much would an aftermarket cerakote job cost, and is it even possible with the fully bedded Fieldcraft?

Also wondering if the cerakote Fieldcraft is over stainless steel or regular barrel steel? And does it even matter?

Alaska Hydrographics in Palmer will Cerakote your Fieldcraft barrel and action for $150. I was uncertain if the full length bedding would be an issue, however Paul at Ak Hydro assured me that a light coat on the bottom of the barrel would not effect the accuracy and he was right.
My Fieldcraft is the 21" 6.5 Creedmoor with a Nightforce NXS on it. The Tungsten Gray Cerakote looks great. 600 yard grouping on the Upper Susitna Wolf with Barnes LRX 127 factory ammo after the Cerakote job.

Attachments

• IMG_3143.jpg
    IMG_3143.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3144.jpg
    IMG_3144.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 113