Which fieldcraft?

WJS23

WKR
I have called them a bunch of times trying to see when it will be out in 280 and have never gotten a call back yet.

khuber84

WKR
I'd run a 6.5x55 it's a mid length cartridge on a long action that has a lot of freebore. That means you can seat the heavier for cal bullets out the powder space, stuff a lapua case full or RL26, light with 210m primer and push a 140 vld around 3k fps from the 24" barrel. What's not to like?

FYI. I got a hold of Barrett on the phone today, and per the representative I spoke to, there will be no Fieldcraft in 280ai - its "been shelved". I also asked if there would be any Lipsey special additions for 2020 and was again told no. Kinda disappointed. Pretty interested in the rifle but was hoping for the 280 and also like the looks of the Lipsey edition jungle green stock. Probably be getting a 30-06 now (or perhaps 7mm-08 or Swede...), but truthfully I'll probably open my search back wide open and take another look at other manufactures as well......

FYI. I got a hold of Barrett on the phone today, and per the representative I spoke to, there will be no Fieldcraft in 280ai - its "been shelved". I also asked if there would be any Lipsey special additions for 2020 and was again told no. Kinda disappointed. Pretty interested in the rifle but was hoping for the 280 and also like the looks of the Lipsey edition jungle green stock. Probably be getting a 30-06 now (or perhaps 7mm-08 or Swede...), but truthfully I'll probably open my search back wide open and take another look at other manufactures as well......

Too bad about the 280.

Don’t understand the lack of enthusiasm for the 30-06 these days, think it’s mostly a factor of the current long-range craze. But for medium range shots on Elk sized game it is simply spectacular, and fits in a standard action making a very handy hunting rifle. There‘s a good reason that almost every major manufacturer still offers it.

Don’t understand the lack of enthusiasm for the 30-06 these days, think it’s mostly a factor of the current long-range craze. But for medium range shots on Elk sized game it is simply spectacular, and fits in a standard action making a very handy hunting rifle. There‘s a good reason that almost every major manufacturer still offers it.

I hear you. I do think the 30-06 is a great classic that has little to nothing to apologize to a 280ai for - I just kind of was intrigued with the 280ai. A 30-06 in the fold with fit right in with some of the rest of my old fashioned arsenal, my 6.5x55, my 30-30, and my 45-70! :)

I hear you. I do think the 30-06 is a great classic that has little to nothing to apologize to a 280ai for - I just kind of was intrigued with the 280ai. A 30-06 in the fold with fit right in with some of the rest of my old fashioned arsenal, my 6.5x55, my 30-30, and my 45-70! :)
Not a critter in North America or the World safe from that lineup.

I have Kimber that took forever, aand several hundred in components to shoot an inch. I've heard the newer ones have a lot less issues - but am cautious about ending up in a "fool me twice - shame on me".....s scenario.

kipper09

WKR
I have a 6.5 creedmoor in the fieldcraft and the gun will flat shoot. I seriously considered and am still considering it in a 06 or 308 but the recoil does worry me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought they were making the 7mm08 already?

Definitely are. Lots of them for sale in short threaded and standard 21". Unless they are going to discontinue them, which would be surprising.

My 6.5 Creedmoor standard 21" is my new elk rifle. 6.8 pounds all up and loaded. My backup is still my old faithful Rem 700 30-06. (y)

Fieldcraft Rug.jpgFieldcraft Weight.jpg

Last edited:
They did formerly make rifles in 7mm-08, but ceased making them reportedly due to issues they were having with those specific barrels. They haven’t made 7mm-08s in some time. Someone on another board confirmed that they were apparently shelved with the 280 AI rifles when their most recent contract began taking most of their manufacturing time away from producing Fieldcrafts in any cal. It was thought that they may have suspended all production of Fieldcrafts, and some of the recent closeout sales of certain calibers seemed to substantiate that. if you had spoken with Barrett and they confirmed production continuing with only some calibers, that’s at least partially good news.

Definitely are. Lots of them for sale in short threaded and standard 21". Unless they are going to discontinue them, which would be surprising.

My 6.5 Creedmoor standard 21" is my new elk rifle. 6.8 pounds all up and loaded. My backup is still my old faithful Rem 700 30-06. (y)

View attachment 137827View attachment 137828

Mike, you must be talking about calibers other than 7mm-08, as they are currently unobtianum and have been for some time.