Which First Lite Base Layer for Late September Wyoming

I am going to buy some First Lite base layers for a late September elk hunt in NW Wyoming. From what I've found online, average temps are from the 30s to the 50s.

In a quarter zip top, which First Lite base layer would you go with.....Wick, Fuse or Kiln?

In the 2020 new lineup zip off bottom, would you go with Fuse or Kiln?

Thanks for the help.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would do the Wick for the top and the Fuse for the bottoms. I usually layer the top with a wick hoody then go over that with a Fuse if it’s going to be chilly. Seems like a good combo for me. Then over that I put a grid fleece, then a softshell vest (I’m a vest person) then a puffy over that.

For the top next to skin I’d go as light as you can which would be the wick.

rbljack

WKR
My layering is similar to Jordan, but I have the older FL sets. For my, its the llano long sleeve 1/4 zip (their lightest base layer) followed by the Chama Hoody (mid weight base layer). Over that I have the Halstead fleece layer. I usually bring the spinger vest with me, or the puffy vest. Outer wear includes the Uncompadre Puffy, and outer shell is the Stormtight rain jacket. For gloves, its the lightweight merino liner gloves, and the fingerless wool gloves. Once October hits, the brooks mittens would be with me. For bottoms, its the FL desert boxer, and the Kanab pant. Id probably bring the Allegany Lohnjohn bottoms just in case. Puffy Pants would stay at home for a septmber hunt. But mid October rifle, they would be with me and Id ditch the Allegany bottoms. Id bring the gaiters for the trip and make a last minute decision based on weather forecast. Ok, so that was more than just the base layers, but there ya go.

For warm days and cold mornings, I might leave off the llano and just wear the chama. Another item I would suggest is the neck gaiter! Lots of uses, and weights next to nothing.

Last edited:

notacos4u

FNG
I too have most of he older style, I start with the llano, then dharma, and then used the expedition as it got colder, but now have the furnace and love it.... I get almost all my stuff qtr zip so I can unzip if I get too warm and can let heat escape

jrb4277

FNG
Id say the kiln bottoms. Fuse would be something i would more wear all the time before the zip offs, but now ill be going to the kiln zip off

OP
Throwin Darts
Id say the kiln bottoms. Fuse would be something i would more wear all the time before the zip offs, but now ill be going to the kiln zip off

I ended up getting a Wick quarter zip top and I'm going to wait for the Kiln Zip Offs to come out and that will be my bottom base layer.

bsnedeker

WKR
I ended up getting a Wick quarter zip top and I'm going to wait for the Kiln Zip Offs to come out and that will be my bottom base layer.

You won't be disappointed! I've worn the same wick QZ on basically every hunting trip I've done for the last two seasons as my base layer. Just noticed the first tiny hole in it on the back of the right shoulder. In september usually I only need the wick and a puffy but I get hot really fast.