Which gaiter

Never used gaiters before, bought the wife and I a set of First Lite before this last trip because snow dumped from the sky just before and we'd be walking through shin-deep snow pretty much everywhere we went. They did great and I'm happy with them, definitely a worthy set of gear to have. I have nothing to compare them to though. If you walk with your legs skipping off eachother they'll make a swooshing noise but wasn't a problem with us as we were attentive while in close quarters (had a nice bull at 60 yards while wearing these). Our buddies had a different brand, not sure what they were but they both had problems with snow/ice clumps accumulating on their boot straps, we didn't have the issue with the First Lite.

I have used about all the major brands- the original Sitka Stormfront Gaiters are hands-down the best I've ever seen. They stand up to anything you can throw at them. Worth the money.

DB Cooper

Lil-Rokslider
I have Kennetrek gaiters, no matter what I do, the leather belt strap comes out of its fitting and flies out to the side.......very annoying. My friend has KUIU gators, the straps always stay locked in. I've worn his and I like his better. We take them off along with boots when closing in on an archery stalk. They are both quiet enough for still hunting with a gun

CJohnson

WKR
+1 for Sitka storm fronts. Used them in knee deep snow in Colorado this year and was impressed. Being from SC, I’ve never needed any. Now that I’ve used them, I’ll probably wear them on every hunt just to keep the bottoms of my pants dry.

I have Kennetrek gaiters, no matter what I do, the leather belt strap comes out of its fitting and flies out to the side.......very annoying. My friend has KUIU gators, the straps always stay locked in. I've worn his and I like his better. We take them off along with boots when closing in on an archery stalk. They are both quiet enough for still hunting with a gun

You take your boots off to stalk?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I own several mid-length gaiters, but wanted something taller for deep snow; after looking at several models, I settled on the Kuiu Yukons.

They are built very similar to OR Crocs, but I like the Kuiu button closure at the bottom vs the velcro closure on the OR's- I have a couple of pairs of OR gaiters that have this closure and they've all failed, I've ended up cutting them off. I also like the quieter fabric better in the Kuiu's. Construction wise, both are well built.

Elk97

WKR
Got some Sitka gaiters this year. I like them but not sold on the zipper idea. They also seem small, I had to adjust to the largest they would go for size 11 insulated Danners. They are quiet though and seem to be well made, and kept me dry.

johnw

FNG
Obviously a little late for your third season rifle hunt, but I just picked up my first ever pair of Kuiu Yukon Gaiters. I loved them.

Fowlman

FNG
I have both Sitka Thunderhead and Kenetrek and both work great. Sitka Thunderheads are a little quieter but I would buy both again.

A buddy of mine uses Kuiu and I would say they are worth it as well.

This is my set up, too. Kuiu for general quiet hunting, OR for extreme conditions like lion hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This would be my exact recommendation. The OR ones are the toughest by far but the kuiu ones are nice for lighter duty applications.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and are both HUGE fans of Kennetrek gaiters. Prefer brown. Do not like cameo models, pick up every weed seed and burrs. No issues on noise. 3 years on current, wear very well. Feet stay warmer as well.