Which gaiter

I have both Sitka Thunderhead and Kenetrek and both work great. Sitka Thunderheads are a little quieter but I would buy both again.

A buddy of mine uses Kuiu and I would say they are worth it as well.

I'm also looking for my first set of gaiters for archery hunting next year. Is the Kuiu or Sitka ThunderHeads quieter? Thanks

Bkottke35

WKR
Late to the party here but I used gaiters for the first time this year. Went with a used pair of Kuiu Yukon’s, they worked extremely well, I had no complaints. They did not leave me wishing for more.

EKyhookr

FNG
I used kennetrek this year, they were great, lower legs and boots stayed dry.

I am liking my Kenetreks a lot. Bought the Kenetrek Hunting Gaiters. I tuck the extra tab length back into the Velcro seal. I did not notice any change in water resistance.
Kenetrek Hunting Gaiter.jpg

byoung.id

FNG
Currently don’t own a pair and never used the gaiters. Colorado 3rd season hunt planned and thinking about picking up a pair. What do you guys use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I spend more time in gators than out in the mountains hunting late season and shed hunting. There are a lot of good options however I have really good luck with Kuiu. I get several seasons of abuse out of a pair but most importantly I find they fit taller individuals and wick snow and water really well.

RCB

WKR
I have a pair of OR Rocky Mountain high gaiters for the snow. No complaints, just be aware of the rubbing noise that happens when you step with feet close together. Easy to avoid when you need to be quiet.

I also really like a light weight gaiter to wear with low or mid-top shoes earlier in the season if I’m in brushy or thorny country. Low shoes + light gaiters are lighter than going with a heavier high boot. I bought a first lite traverse gaiter, which gets the job done. It runs small: buy the size large, and don’t even try to put it on a big boot.

Wassid82

WKR
Between my wife, adult kids and myself, we own probably 10 sets of gaiters, Kuiu, Kenetrek, and Outdoor Vision. I should sell the Kenetrek and Outdoor Vision, because the only ones any of us wear are the Kuiu. Been using them for 4+ years and have never had a pair wear out, although a couple of pair are starting to show their age and may have to be replaced soon.

ive used outdoor research and a fewyears ago I bought kuiu. I use them all the time. I agree they are the best and doubtful I will ever switch.

lkwoolsey

WKR
Currently don’t own a pair and never used the gaiters. Colorado 3rd season hunt planned and thinking about picking up a pair. What do you guys use?

I've used OR Expedition Crocs for years. Had one pair of bright red ones for about 15 years, ended up selling them when I switched boots for a different size of the same gaiter, but in multicam. They are bomb proof. Field replaceable instep strap, 1000d cordura on the inside of the legs, gortex all the way around. A little spendy, I had a prodeal on them. There are quiter ones out there but not more durable.

OP

1jonmon

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I went with first lite and love’em!

macabra11

FNG
Reviving an old thread.

I have been looking at getting a do-all pair of gaiters to wear in a wide range of conditions and with different height boots (from 6" hikers to 10" hunting boots). I need protection from cheatgrass/stickers/sage in dry conditions, and then also would like some added protection against moisture and snow.

Seems like there are a lot of great options in this thread. One I did not see mentioned was the King's XKG gaiters. I have the King's XKG Preacher Pant and love them, so the material seems like it would be quiet and protected. Just wandering if anyone had any experience with them specifically? Or are there any others that would fit the bill for my needs, and not pickup up seeds/cheatgrass?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
tall waterproof gaiters that you would use in cool/snow are going to be awfully hot in warm conditions

I use a pair of shorter Sitka Ascent gaiters in warmer conditions

Deadfall

WKR
Reviving an old thread.

I have been looking at getting a do-all pair of gaiters to wear in a wide range of conditions and with different height boots (from 6" hikers to 10" hunting boots). I need protection from cheatgrass/stickers/sage in dry conditions, and then also would like some added protection against moisture and snow.

Seems like there are a lot of great options in this thread. One I did not see mentioned was the King's XKG gaiters. I have the King's XKG Preacher Pant and love them, so the material seems like it would be quiet and protected. Just wandering if anyone had any experience with them specifically? Or are there any others that would fit the bill for my needs, and not pickup up seeds/cheatgrass?

Deadfall

WKR
I use kennetrek gaitor from late august on. Never had a issue of any kind with them. Been good enough to me that I own 2 pair.

KineKilla

WKR
Kenetrek here as well. I rarely use them in the summer months.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

jackmat69

FNG
Outdoor Research crocodile make sure you measure and follow chart. If you go for OR crocodile expedition be careful the are made to go over mountaineering boots.