Which game bag to get?

I have Argali, Black Ovis and Caribou. Argali is a cut above the other 2. I don’t have anything bad to say about the BO and Carbou as both are excellent bags. The Caribou and BO bags feel very similar, the argali bags are a different more breathable material. The Argali bags pack down smaller, and just have a better overall fit and finish.
i finally got to see some argali bags in action... i have used a bunch of different bags, and currently use caribou, kuiu and viam UL bags... before next season i will be getting a set of argali, they truly seem like the PERFECT game bags as far as weight, breathability and durability.

caribou were always my favorite, but those argali bags are a step up.... very nice game bags

I have used some of the cheapy (Allen?) bags for 4 elk, some antelope, and a few deer. They’re pretty bad shape but they’ll still work for another season. In fact I’m washing them for the at least the 12th time and I’d bet they have at least 3-5 more animals in them.

I guess my question is, what’s the advantage of more expensive (ie better) bags? I’m down for improving my gear and if better bags do something for me I’ll get them.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I just picked up some Argali bags. I used them and some Caribou Gear bags for a bear recently, the Argali bags formed a dry crust while the Caribou bags where still wet. The Argali bags are also significantly lighter and pack better while being the same size.

For any reasonable use the Argali bags feel like the will hold up fine. The material is thinner, but I don't drag my loaded bags over rocks, and the bag held up fine to being loaded with the entire torso of a 240-250 pound black bear.

There are lighter bags out there, but I think Argali nailed the sweet spot.

wa_archer

FNG
https://viamoutdoors.com/ are awesome, lightweight compress rediculusly small and are tough. I also carry a tarp from them to use to set meat on and for boneing out. keeps the meat so much cleaner. probably get another tarp this year to devote as ground cloth under sleeping pad. great company for sure.

I have used Caribou Gear bags for 7 or 8 years and really like them, but I have several friends and little brother who use an assortment of Kuiu, Argali, and Black Ovis. I think they are all pretty good and it would be hard to go wrong with any of them. That being said in the past i have used pillow cases and even trash bags with success. Depends what you want and what your budget allows.

TAG bags are going strong after 15+ animals over the past 4-5 years. Hard to knock them. Hold up well. Still white. Argali bags sparked my interest after I ran into the owner in the backcountry. Cool guy but no firsthand experience with the bags. I'm from ID and he's from ID. He'll get my business next time but no telling when these TAG bags are going to fail. I wouldn't be surprised if they lasted another 5 years or 20+ animals.

Sled

WKR
my tag bags have been used on 18 animals in the last 5 years so far. they've held up great and are lighter weight than the other brands i've helped load. i've added a couple bags to the b.o.m.b. pack to give me options. i do have a black ovis quarter bag but don't plan on switching any time soon.

So after this year I'm finally seeing some thinning with my tag bags and I'll likely retire a few of them and try some argali if they're at the Utah TAC this year. The tag bags have really exceeded my expectations after nearly two dozen animals. I'll just be mixing in a few argali to see how they perform.

Ry15u

FNG
My vote is for Caribou but you can't go wrong with any of the listed brands

Used both TAG and Black Ovis for about 5 years: 4 elk, 6 deer, 6 antelope (always boned out). Really loved the TAG bags, but after 4 years a couple started to get small rips in the seams. Black Ovis bags seem more durable, but the kit is significantly heavier and bulkier than the TAG bags, and my style of hunting makes me a big ounce-counter).

Bought the Argali bags last year, and used them on my elk and antelope because the kit weighs only 9 ounces, and I absolutely love them! We'll see how they continue to hold up over the years. After looking at the Viam bags, they look very interesting and are the lightest ones I've seen for synthetic bags. I'll buy my wife some and test them out this year to see if they're better than the Argali.

I have black Ovis and really like them. I had a little issue with the top not cinching down quite enough when we had to wait a few days to be flown out in Alaska. We ended up using string to tie them up which was fine but since then I carry rubber bands for each for convenience. 30B7424C-6837-4663-B23E-3F75ECF003F9.png

WesternMDShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Any other bags worth recommending, I’ve always used Allen but I’m going archery hunting this fall and want the best bags to keep my meat cooler.

I've been really happy with Kuiu bags. If you're patient they put them on sale at times. Probably splitting hairs, I'm sure most of the nice bags from good companies would be adequate.