Which Garmin?

Rokwiia

WKR
Where I go there is no cell service and I'm usually in a forest with a canopy of trees. I've decided to get a satellite communicator and am going to choose between the Inreach Mini, Explorer+, and GPSMAP 66i. I also have an ACR ResQLink PLB which I will continue to bring with me as I welcome redundancy with life-saving equipment.

If I have a crisis, I will trigger the ACR PLB but want the InReach to be able to communicate the nature of my emergency by texting information, if I am still conscious and able to do so. Two years ago I almost stepped on a Timber Rattler and want to be able notify people ahead of time of a snake bite or some other medical problem (broken leg).

My first thought was to get the 66i as it would do everything the Mini does and be a step up from the eTrex 30 that I currently have. The marginal cost would be $250 compared to the Mini. I'd have to keep a closer eye on the battery with the 66i as I would be using it for navigation as well as for potential satellite texting. Having said that, the Mini seems to get the job done and would save $250.

Any advice which of the three Garmin models to choose from for what I'm looking to achieve?

Here's my take: I ran Garmin handhelds for years. Then I switched to my cell phone for navigating and got the Explorer+ and then sold that and got the InReach mini to save weight. To this point out west I have been mostly an archery elk hunter, September, good/warmer weather. Hunting deer in KS this year I realized my iPhone battery suuuucks in the cold weather. I could either use it and battery would plummet in the cold or I could put it in an inner pocket and keep it warm and not use it. My phone tells me my battery is at 80% capacity so I don't think the battery is that bad. So, in the future when I'm hunting in colder conditions (Colorado 2nd or 3rd season) I'm going to get that 66i. Would take the 66i to Alaska, too.

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
I've been weighing these same options and leaving toward the mini simply for weight. I have the GPSMap64st and it serves it's purpose well. Just gotta have that life line to the outside world.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I went back and forth on the exact same decision and finally went with the Explorer+. If the phone decides to die, I have it as a back up for navigation and vice versus. The weight penalty isnt enough for me to justify the mini....yet.

I actually run the same setup as you are considering wiiawiwb. I have the ACR ResQ-Link PLB for redundancy and I run the 66i for navigation and texting. I have had the ACr for a couple of years and never needed it. Once the 66i came out I added it to the pack as I wanted a way to frequently communicate with family and others in my hunting party Without shelling out big money for a sat phone. No regrets. If want a minimalist approach then I dump the PLB and my phone and just run the 66i.

I have the mini and I couple it with the IPhone. I have hunted in 30 degree and less, mostly morning and over night weather, the last few months. I will say the mini is just a susceptible to cold temperatures my iPhone. Not sure about the 66i but i would not be surprised if it was as well. I sleep with electronics in my quilt and keep them on my body when out. I had the mini strapped to my shoulder strap and it died from the cold. I do really like having the mini and it gives my wife peace of mind when I am out solo.

JATails

FNG
Past hunting season we used the mini with Onx Maps on the iphone. Best hunt for me to relate to the temperature was in the teens-twenties and batteries seem to last for a 4 day hunt. We did keep the electrics close to body to keep them warm and turned off when we weren't moving or using. Did like the text messaging feature. We were in pretty open country so no real canopy to interfere for us.

There are a few threads on this so you may want to search back through. IMO, its damn hard to beat the mini/iphone/onx combo. Cold weather will crush your battery on the iphone so take that into consideration. For early season deer and elk, I love the mini. Bluetooth/iphone snyc has completely changed my hunting (extended it) once I had children. Being able to check in via text once a day has been far better than I could have imagined. I also have used the mini in a variety of conditions and have been very impressed with its battery and capabilities as a standalone device. I dont think you can go wrong with the mini...the thing that could be an issue is your iphone battery/general condition.

Roughout

FNG
Run explore+, cold kills Iphone battery. Allows for a “back up” in a situation your phone fails/cracks/wet etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, cold kills an iPhone battery fairly quick but it will also affect other electronics (gos, sat phone, etc) as well. Typically it’s not an issue during the day as most of these items are either next to you in a pocket or packed deep in your bag. At night is the key. All electronics go either in my down sleeping bag with me or are wrapped in my down/synthetic jacket/pants. Never had a problem with shortened battery life since. Just don’t forget to do it each night and always plan as though “it will happen” and have a back up plan (battery charger, etc) for if/when it does.