Which goat would you shoot?

hikenhunt

WKR
We are first-time goat hunters and from what we have studied about goats, I'm pretty sure we found a few billies while scouting, mostly based on horn bases and body size, as compared to nannies (Goat #2 has a nanny in one of the photos). Do you agree? I know its hard to judge from just a couple photos, but based solely on these photos, which goat would you shoot? All three were in huntable/retrievable spots.

Goat #1
IMG_8628a - Copy.jpg
IMG_8640 (2)a - Copy.jpg

Goat #2
IMG_8672 (2)a - Copy.jpg
IMG_8680 (2)a - Copy.jpg
IMG_8695a - Copy.jpg

Goat #3
DSCN3871a - Copy.jpg
DSCN3879a - Copy.jpg

A few more pics of goat #2 (I was with hikenhunt on these scouting trips!)

The horns look big on this goat, but my worry is that this could be a younger goat based on face profile (and maybe that's making his horns look bigger?). Would love an experienced goat dude's take on this. Thanks!114604114605114606IMG_8678 (3).JPGIMG_8693 (2).JPGIMG_8680 (2).JPGIMG_8678 (3).JPGIMG_8693 (2).JPGIMG_8680 (2).JPG

#2 looks like a stud.

Had to edit.. I misread the # for the additional photos. 2 was my first inclination when looking at first post...then your additional photos made it very clear that he's a super nice goat!

Last edited:
#2 looks like a stud.

Had to edit.. I misread the # for the additional photos. 2 was my first inclination when looking at first post...then your additional photos made it very clear that he's a super nice goat!

Man, that's encouraging to hear! So hard for newbies like us to judge. I've seen that particular goat twice on scouting trips. Definitely stood out from the other goats we'd been seeing.

Season opens Oct. 1st. No other tags in the unit. Hopefully he sticks around till then.

Where I hunt goats, they seem to move quite a bit from August until October. For instance, where I am headed this weekend is a spot I found a year ago while hunting in August. The goats were not where I found them the year prior while hunting in October, but after a few days of searching we found them. Haven't been back since, but I am guessing they will be in the same general area as they were the last time I was there in August. I'd expect them to move a bit between now and October, but maybe not if the country they are in now doesn't get much snow.

Where I hunt goats, they seem to move quite a bit from August until October. For instance, where I am headed this weekend is a spot I found a year ago while hunting in August. The goats were not where I found them the year prior while hunting in October, but after a few days of searching we found them. Haven't been back since, but I am guessing they will be in the same general area as they were the last time I was there in August. I'd expect them to move a bit between now and October, but maybe not if the country they are in now doesn't get much snow.

Wow, that's interesting. I've been wondering about how much billies will move between now and then. It's a fairly low elevation unit, so I actually don't expect snow between now and Oct (but you never know). That will be something to try to keep tabs on. Thanks.

Thanks Chubscout and Hayesplow! Hoping to get some more pics of him in a week when I get back up there.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
with s suppressor on your rifle, is possible for OP to take down both elks ?

Jimss

WKR
The highest % of goat score is mass. The higher up the horn the mass...the better! There likely isn't a heck of a lot of difference between horn length from 1 goat to the next unless 1 side is broken. If you can get as close as possible to the billies and take a look through your spotting scope you may be able to detect differences in how high the mass continues up a horn from 1 goat to the next. I often use a 60x camcorder that I can bring home and review on the big screen for field judging game. Photos can sometimes be discieving depending upon the angle the photos are taken, heat waves, etc.

Thanks all for your help! The hunt is in WA state.

Interesting comment about the young billies, JP 100. I wondered the same thing while we were looking at them.

Any tips you guys have on making sure I shoot the right goat once the season opens? All three billies are hanging in the same general area. Will longer hair make ID'ing the right goat more difficult? And the emergence of glands?

My plan now is to bring photos of the big one with me on the hunt and compare it to whatever goat we're observing. And watch them for a really, really long time before pulling the trigger.

Any other tips or distinctive stuff to look for would be appreciated. I'll make a post after the hunt to let you all know how it turns out.

JP100

WKR
Thanks all for your help! The hunt is in WA state.

Interesting comment about the young billies, JP 100. I wondered the same thing while we were looking at them.

Any tips you guys have on making sure I shoot the right goat once the season opens? All three billies are hanging in the same general area. Will longer hair make ID'ing the right goat more difficult? And the emergence of glands?

My plan now is to bring photos of the big one with me on the hunt and compare it to whatever goat we're observing. And watch them for a really, really long time before pulling the trigger.

Any other tips or distinctive stuff to look for would be appreciated. I'll make a post after the hunt to let you all know how it turns out.

The above photos are good, look at the head/neck and 'stance' of the animals. that applies to pretty much all species. Young animals have baby faces, that 3rd goat is a good example. His horns look quite thick, but thats because they are short, and his face is small. compare that to the big nanny above and she is a whole different animal.

Dont pay much attention to glands, all goats have em.

A mature bill will walk with a swagger, he will be well built and look solid right through his body. A good billy will look like a white shetland pony haha.
Study the body/behavior long before you look at the horns.