Which gun to take

Going antelope hunting next fall in WY and can’t decide if I want to take my Remington 700 .243, TC Encore 7mag or Savage .308.

Will be using hornady SST bullets no matter which gun.

Killed a pile of deer with all but never anything at super long range like I anticipate going out there. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
I do love that gun. I have a had a couple weird things happen with it though in bigger dories deer but I guess antelope are smaller than big whitetail bucks.

I wouldn't feel good about a shoulder shot in 243 sst. You're most likely going to be taking longer shots in WY than your accustomed to in MO
A few inches of drift might be disastrous for that round

OP
M
With the .243 would you suggest more like a Berger Hybrid or Nosler partition?

Calbuck

WKR
When I go big game hunting I use the same rifle (and round) for every hunt. Deer, elk and antelope I use my 7 Rem mag. I know how to shoot it and it will get the job done at any range you may need to shoot from. With that said, if you shoot a certain rifle and know that rifle in and out, that's the one you should take.

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 270 win with the sst and it works great. When I’m out of the sst im switching to the accubonds. Time for a change and a better bullet design. A 243 will be great I have several buddies using that. 308 will be plenty also. They are smaller then whitetails so those calibers will be just fine.

OP
M
Thank you everyone for the info. I’ll probably use my .243 and some Partitions. They shoot great out of my gun.

There's absolutely zero reason to shoot a bonded bullet at antelope, even with a 223. Shoot those SSTs and don't worry about it. The only bad part about hitting a shoulder would be ruined meat, any 85+ grain 6mm load will break down an antelope in a big way.
If you're "anticipating" shooting long range, now (a year in advance) is the time to start practicing.

I would go with any of those rifles, the most import part will be finding somewhere you can practice at 300 yds or more. The wind in Wyoming can be pretty harsh

Rich M

WKR
I was gonna say the SSTs will be fine.

That said, I'm working on some NP loads for my 243 - 95 gr and 100 gr. Hope to have the 95 gr load figured out by time I get back out there for speed goats.

Rieckman

Lil-Rokslider
I would take whatever gun you shoot the best. Or if you shoot them all equally, then whatever optic you have on one that is the easiest to adjust for range/wind.

dye7barrel

Lil-Rokslider
Whichever rifle is most accurate and you are comfortable with. Use a premium bullet with good shot placement and don't look back.

Reactions: WCB

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
i've shot 2 with 162 SST from my 7mag. Wifes shot 2 w/her 308 150 SST, seen several buddies shoot 6.5 129 SST and they all have done just what they are supposed to do. It's hard to beat the SST bullet on deer sized game. i have shot whitetail w/my 243 95 SST and they drop on spot, if you double lung stuff which is what i generally do they run 20-30 yds and die. avoid the shoulders as for meat damage but if you hit the shoulder it's going to drop it DRT. Antelope ranges from 150-575 yds w/the SST bullet.

EdP

WKR
I've taken a couple of pronghorn with my 6mm Rem shooting 100 gr Sierra GKs so the .243 sounds like a good option to me.

Going antelope hunting next fall in WY and can’t decide if I want to take my Remington 700 .243, TC Encore 7mag or Savage .308.

Killed a pile of deer with all but never anything at super long range like I anticipate going out there. Suggestions?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04