Which gun

Stalker69

WKR
So I want to dabble in trying my hand at shooting some distance. Won’t most likely hunt with it, as I prefer archery. But who knows. What is a good accurate gun ? I really don’t want any thing cerakoted. And want to try out the 6.5 prc. So far my interests are, Browning x bolt long range max, Sauer 100x, Sauer fieldshoot. I hear not real good things on the browning (1-4 moa) but not a lot of accuracy info on any of them. What do some of you recommend ? Can’t really afford a custom.

Broz

WKR
I would take a hard look at the Christensen Arms Ridge Line and Traverse in 6.5 PRC. I have both, plus one in 6.5 Creed. They shoot factory ammo into tiny groups and are of the best value out there today. Rich in all the features of a custom, carbon barrels, light weight and dependable.

EDIT to add: You also may want to look at the CA in an ELR if your going to shoot prone a lot.

Last edited:
For that price range you getting really close to CA ridgeline/Mesa Lr, bergara HMR PRO/Highlander and Seekins precision.

Wright406

WKR
Take a look at the John Hancock custom rifle from patriot valley arms. Josh does amazing work.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
How far of a range do you have access to?

Honestly if you're just learning and not planning on hunting with it at this point I would push you hard towards a 6.5 Creedmoor. Cost of ammo and barrel life being the 2 main reasons.

My current hunting rifle is a 6.5 PRC but I wouldn't waste my barrel or ammo on learning with it. If you don't handload you'll be able to buy factory ammo for half the cost and get 3 times the barrel life with a creedmoor. It's honestly the best option going for a new long range shooter.

It also opens up a ton more options for factory rifles and with this being your first long range setup I'd go cheap on the rifle (bergara, howa, tikka) and spend most your money on the scope or maybe just get one of the SWFA's that Form speaks so highly of.

Unless you have money to burn I'd avoid the $2000 rifles until you know what you like and that will only come with time and experience.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I second what Journeyman said. 6.5 creedmoor is considerably cheaper as far as ammo cost goes and its super easy to get components for reloading. It also has more manageable recoil. The more rounds down range you can send the better you will get. Buy a cheaper gun and spend the money on optics and ammo/range time. For the money the Bergara HMR is a great starter rifle for learning to shoot long range. I really like the Nightforce SHV and Leupold Mark 5 series for scopes.

Should consider taking a class or two. They do not have to be expensive. But you will get up and running faster and be less inclined to develop poor shooting habits.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
Should consider taking a class or two. They do not have to be expensive. But you will get up and running faster and be less inclined to develop poor shooting habits.
Classes could be a huge help but I think some of them are pretty spotty. I would recommend following @velayo_0317. He's x miliatary and now is an instructor at gunwerks and a top shooting in the PRS world. He give sound advice on long range rifle shooting all for free right on insta.

codym

WKR
I wouldn’t overlook a tikka t3, very accurate and prefits are available. I definitely would consider a 6 or 6.5 creed if your just starting out. They have the best factory ammo options of any calibers I can think of.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I own Christensen, Sako, Tikka, Browning, Cooper, Ruger, Savage, Remington, Winchester, Volquartsen, and a couple custom rigs. Right now, in my opinion, looking at accuracy, price, and quality out of the box my vote goes to either Tikka or Christensen Arms. You just can’t beat those two rifles at their price points right now and what you get for that price.

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
I am not really new to shooting by any means. I rifle, black powder, and used a hand gun for hunting for many many years. I currently have a 243 and a 7mm mag. Both shoot very good, I bought a new night force scope, so got a hair to buy a new rifle. Though I said I would most likely not hunt with it, I would like to have something that I could effectively hunt up to elk with. But no intention of “ hunting” or shooting game at long distance. I do reload for those rifles and a lot of hand guns. Targets , I would like to see what I could do at longer range. Have some buddies that shoot them. I may just switch out the leupold on the 7mm with the night force. That was my original though, then read about the creed more and was going to “ jump on the band wagon”. Then the prc came up in a conversation, and I like to be “ different” . Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to check them out. How much harder is the prc on barrel life, over the creedmore ? I doubt I would shoot the barrel out in what I have left of my life. Unless it’s only good for, how many shots are they good for ? Casual firearm shooter any more. Used to shoot a lot though.

C/A looks as though they are cerakoted, tikka I really like the tikka, but I think the scope I have would be to “ big” ( heavy) NF SHV 5-20 x56.
Bergara looks to be coated also. I don’t want to get into a cerakote is better discussion, went through that on a different post.

Last edited:
OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
Unless you have money to burn I'd avoid the $2000 rifles until you know what you like and that will only come with time and experience.

As to why I was looking at the browning, 1020.00 and they had a 100.00 rebate on top of that. So 900.00 seemed good.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I'd recommend the Browning to many people. I have a full custom (defiance action) 338 lapua and the Xbolt western hunter in 26 nosler. If I had the Browning first, I'm not sure I would have gone the custom route with the lapua.

codym

WKR
Jury is still kind of out on the prc and barrel life but it’s a mag cartridge, very similar to a 6.5x284 in terms of ballistics and people get around 1200 rounds in those give or take a few hundred depending on how much you lean on it. 6.5 creed and some of the 6br variants should get you 3k rounds or better

codym

WKR
I am not really new to shooting by any means. I rifle, black powder, and used a hand gun for hunting for many many years. I currently have a 243 and a 7mm mag. Both shoot very good, I bought a new night force scope, so got a hair to buy a new rifle. Though I said I would most likely not hunt with it, I would like to have something that I could effectively hunt up to elk with. But no intention of “ hunting” or shooting game at long distance. I do reload for those rifles and a lot of hand guns. Targets , I would like to see what I could do at longer range. Have some buddies that shoot them. I may just switch out the leupold on the 7mm with the night force. That was my original though, then read about the creed more and was going to “ jump on the band wagon”. Then the prc came up in a conversation, and I like to be “ different” . Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to check them out. How much harder is the prc on barrel life, over the creedmore ? I doubt I would shoot the barrel out in what I have left of my life. Unless it’s only good for, how many shots are they good for ? Casual firearm shooter any more. Used to shoot a lot though.

C/A looks as though they are cerakoted, tikka I really like the tikka, but I think the scope I have would be to “ big” ( heavy) NF SHV 5-20 x56.
Bergara looks to be coated also. I don’t want to get into a cerakote is better discussion, went through that on a different post.
IMO your 7 mag is a more versatile hunting caliber than the 6.5 PRC and the 243 especially twisted right can smoke deer sized game to 500 no problem. It sounds like you need a 6.5x47, 6.5/6creed, 6br or even a fast twist 223. Those will teach you more about shooting to 1k than anything I can think of. You will learn to read wind and be able to shoot more because components cost less and recoil will be much less.

Bergara is releasing the 300prc and 6.5prc in their B14 lines this year. So early next year you should be able to pick up a HMR in 6.5prc for around $850 and it won't be cerakoted. It'd be an excellent platform for you to learn the long range game on. Plus aftermarket upgrades are everywhere for it since its on the 700 platform. Id take Bergara over Browning or Christensen every day of the week. I love the looks of the Christensen rifles but have no desire to gamble with their hit and miss accuracy and well documented lack of customer service. Browning makes a decent looking rifle but not necessarily known to be overly accurate. There's a reason you see next to zero Browning's in long range shooting. Tikka would be another great option if they'd chamber the prc

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
I am hoping tikka will offer it also, i am waiting until after the shot show to decide just for that. But if they don’t I will buy one of the others. Thanks for the HMR tip will check it out.

WKR
Boring is cheap and no surprises. A Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor with a SWFA 3-9 scope, or 3-15 scope with good mounts would do great. Today is last day of SWFA sale. Great deal on both those scopes today. The 6.5 bullets at lapua or creedmoor velocities kill a lot of big stuff each year.

Or just rescope the 7mm and rock on.