Which havalon do you use ?

marktole

WKR
I sometimes use a Barracuda blaze, the one with the longer blade (I believe they’re the 115 XT blade). I like it because of the longer blade, and the blade is stiffer as well. Makes deboning big chunks of meat easier, I think. The stronger blade seems a little better for popping ball joints than a regular havalon.

HunterZ

FNG
I believe I use the same blade but have been disappointed by the blade coming unsnapped/falling off regularly. It this common for havalon blades?

MattB

WKR
I believe I use the same blade but have been disappointed by the blade coming unsnapped/falling off regularly. It this common for havalon blades?

Not common for the knife or the blades in my experience, nor have I heard that from anyone else. Maybe a bad unit? User error?

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
I use the piranta pro , was the newest model when I got it and I like the rubber grip, I think I use the 60xt blades or something like that, have a more rounded tip which I like for skinning and such never had a blade come off unexpectedly, I carry a mini tool for removal in field , and “set” the blade then push it into a piece of wood to put on fully

HunterZ

FNG
I use the stag which I like for pocket or pack as it is slimmer, and got my dad the piranta. We both use the 60xt blades and both have broken or had a blade come off while field dressing. Not the most reliable but I bought a 100 pack of blades and always carry extra for this reason.

I used the piranta, but have had issues with the blade falling off as well. It's always been my fault though, just have to remember you can't put the torque into the blades like you can with a fixed. At least, that's been my experience.

I have a piranta and a piranta stag. I bought the stag when I thought I lost the original. Could say I prefer one over the other to be honest.

+1 on the 60x blades with round tip. I have fewer nicks and cuts on hide and stuff with those.

I have had some turd blades that fell out but most have stayed put for me outside of me abusing them.

I bought a Gerber version. $22 impulse buy. Blade drops a lot.

slowelk

WKR
I use the piranta edge and the baracuta with a saw blade. The new blades, 60A, not 60XT hold and edge longer and are more durable than their predecessor the 60XT. The baracuta is a nice compromise on weight from the silky saw I carried previously, and the regular knife blades make for a good processing knife. I like a saw, others say they are too heavy, it's a choice.

I’ve got a few. My favorite is the $3 plastic #8 scalpel handle from havalon. The Gerber vital is way easier to change blades on, but you lose about a quarter of the blade length.
The 70 blades are the rounded tip ones I like.

jwooley

Lil-Rokslider
I used to use havalon as my primary, still take it as a back up I believe piranta but , now I use the outdoor edge. The havalon is nice and small but the blades easily snapped for my use of taking care of an elk, the outdoor edge blades are much thicker ,just as sharp, I can field dress and quarter an elk usually with 1 blade, if I have to change one, its become dull not broken!!!!

Kotaman

WKR
I have most of the Havalon's, and like the Stag for carrying/hunting and the Barracuda for the big stuff and boning. I also have the little Gerber Vital and it is a handy little knife but only uses 60 XT blades which are more brittle than the 60 A's IMO. Outdoor Edge also makes a nice replaceable option. They are a little heavier knife and their blade retention system is a little more susceptible to fail but overall they're also a good option. After using all three brands extensively in the field, they all work, but it's tough to beat the Havalon's.

16Bore

WKR
Piranta for quite some time then modified it for 60A blades. Miss Claus gave me a Forge this year. Haven’t used it yet but the handle is tons better.

1C2B922B-674B-4DDA-ADD9-2D63E4C04F42.jpeg

cmahoney

WKR
The small one because I saw it in eastmans when they first came out and that’s all they made. It’s worked great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk