Which Highcamp for Bikini?

KMD

Banned
Gents, I'm an out of state elk hunter looking to upgrade my pack. Already have a Bikini ordered, but still undecided as to whether to get the 4800 Highcamp and run the Heavy load out kit for meat hauling, or step up to the larger HC 7000 and use the Gen 2 hanging meat bag and haul with everything inside the main bag. I'll only be out spiking from our main camp for 3-4 days max, so even the 4800 should be plenty to carry camp, gear & provisions. Just stuck on what would work better for the meat hauling part of the equation...
Thanks in advance for your opinions!

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I'd run a DT1 or the Highcamp 7000. I think the bigger pack offers more opitions for you. If you decide to go longer then 3-4 days your good. You can haul out your camp and haul meat all at ounce. Both of those packs fold down to where they are a small day pack size too so your not feeling like your carrying a monster pack all the time

Lawnboi

WKR
I picked the 4800 only because I plan on running at least a few pockets or a lid with it. 7000 cu + 1-2 thousand in pockets. That's just too big for me. 8000+ cu with just a lid is more than I really need.

Someday I may pick up a 7000 bag, maybe if I go to Alaska some day or something. But for what I see myself doing in the immediate future I don't see how I cant do it with a 4800 and a few pockets.

Im also only 5'6 and 145lbs. that 7000 bag looks like its about as big as I am.

I also have very compact gear, I can fit 3days of stuff, food and water in less than 3000cu, dependent on the time or year as well. although now I want a K sled for ice fishing and winter trips :)

dotman

WKR
I had the 4800 for a total of a few hours before it was sent back, just didn't seem as big as I thought it would be. A 7000 is now coming.

I should have listened to everyone else and went with the 7000, so if you don't want any possible further delays I say just go with 7000.

I had high hopes for the 4800 but it just ended up being too small and I could see that as soon as I handled it. So if you are questioning it already then you may be disappointed if you go with the 4800.

Curtis C

WKR
Interesting Dotman, You almost had me changing to the 4800. After I got the 7000 I am glad I didn't. I may still get a foliage 4800 for weekend trips and BP'ing with the granola crowd but more than a 2 or 3 nights out with hunting gear it will be the 7000.

dotman

WKR
Interesting Dotman, You almost had me changing to the 4800. After I got the 7000 I am glad I didn't. I may still get a foliage 4800 for weekend trips and BP'ing with the granola crowd but more than a 2 or 3 nights out with hunting gear it will be the 7000.

Haha, I was definitely off on it and glad you didn't change it. If you want a general bag look at the Hill People Gear bags, fit perfect,great quality and awesome price. I posted a pic under the best smaller bag thread of the C25M I have. It will be my general backpacking setup.

Shrek

WKR
With my bag in hand I will say that my 4800 and back pouch will be maxed out at about seven days. I think I got it right for 5 days but I may order a pod to slap on top with extra food and cloths to make it an easy eight day plus pack. That or a 7000 bag to switch out on longer trips. In the big picture another $225 + shipping is not that big of a deal. Just another five trips to the plasma center :D JK but there is one member here bleeding for his gear.

Shrek

WKR
Another thought is that although crumy's camo bag sure is sexy I'm very happy with foliage. I also recommend the lash kit and I will be ordering one pronto. I already see where I could use an extra lash for a tripod and I'm sure other uses will come up.

Go with the 7000 in my opinion. I'd rather be in the situation of having too much room than too little. I'm 5'8" and went with the 7000. Here's a pic of it on. It compresses so small that I don't think you'd notice any difference in size when it's not loaded.

107553D5-52CA-4A64-B308-AE800B2267AB-2687-0000020AC5C9C8E0_zps69ebad4f.jpg

I had the 4800 for a total of a few hours before it was sent back, just didn't seem as big as I thought it would be. A 7000 is now coming.

I should have listened to everyone else and went with the 7000, so if you don't want any possible further delays I say just go with 7000.

I had high hopes for the 4800 but it just ended up being too small and I could see that as soon as I handled it. So if you are questioning it already then you may be disappointed if you go with the 4800.

I want to link the crow eating pic that we linked in the kryptek clothing thread! Haha

Get the big bag man You can always carry air around. You don't want to have to keep slapping pockets on it to get it to a 7 day pack. You'll end up being heavier than a DT1 with the only option that your pockets come off.

dotman

WKR
I want to link the crow eating pic that we linked in the kryptek clothing thread! Haha

Too funny, I was talking to Aron and the KU5200 is bigger then the stated ci which is why I was shocked with how small the 4800 was. Don't get me wrong but that ku5200 is much much bigger then the highcamp 4800. So basing it off that thru me for a loop, dam crow is starting to taste good.

Go big or go home. I have the mindset of I'd rather a big pack that cinched down nice than a small pack that has limited expanding when you need to carry more stuff. I use my kifaru packs to carry some awkward things sometime. Nice to have the extra room.

OP
K

KMD

Banned
Thank you for the input, and also for the photo, bigeasygator! That put the size in perspective real well. I can see that 7000 would be just fine in daypack mode.
Much appreciated!
Did the 7000 fans in the house also get the Gen2 meat bag to hang inside for packing quarters/boned out meat? I saw that in one of the Vimeo videos, looked pretty slick!

Thank you for the input, and also for the photo, bigeasygator! That put the size in perspective real well. I can see that 7000 would be just fine in daypack mode.
Much appreciated!
Did the 7000 fans in the house also get the Gen2 meat bag to hang inside for packing quarters/boned out meat? I saw that in one of the Vimeo videos, looked pretty slick!

I did and I got the meat shelf but those haven't come in yet. Yeah, I can't picture the 4800 unpacked looking a whole lot different than the 7000 unpacked (ie day pack mode). The 7000 compresses down so much...I don't think the pictures really do it justice. Most of the volume you see in the pics is from the pockets and the grabit.