Which hunt to focus on

jt4

WKR
Narrowing down the possibilities for the Wyoming hunt I'm planning for '20 and I have some questions. (Someone can feel free to PM if you want)

I have enough points to nearly guarantee a 1st choice antelope hunt, and enough points to have pretty good odds at drawing for mule deer. This will be my first trip west, so I'd prefer not to use all my points for both on one trip. The debate I'm having is that I'd like to put in for mule deer and if not drawn, go on the antelope hunt. What happens if for some reason I'm awarded both? I know the simple answer is "hunt both".

Am I going to regret taking an entire trip (34+ hours each way) to tag out on antelope on day 1 or 2 and wish I had a mule deer tag to spend the next 4-5 days going after? Is trying to go after both going to cause me to miss out on one or both?

Knowing that I could put in just for mule deer and *hope* for 2nd choice antelope or leftover, but I don't want to do this and risk missing out on going entirely. Again, main goal is to not use points for both if I don't have to so that the option to go back next year is a great possibility. (throwing another wrench in plans is that I have the same amount of elk points which could be next years hunt)

you could always scoop up a over the counter tag in another state on your way back like nebraska or the dakotas if you fill out early, that way you dont have to worry about filling up early and driving right back home.

Rich M

WKR
I'd say to do each hunt separately.

Did WY antelope in 2017 and was on animals first & second day. Don't forget to apply for doe tag too.

Saw plenty of muleys where I was - one nice buck and one forky, hundred+ does. Came away thinking I could go back on a bow permit and get both antelope and mule deer with Xbow.

Did 2019 CO mule deer. Saw 2 legal bucks on public and several on private. Killed 4x4 on day 6. 4 guys saw about 100 does and 6 bucks over 8 hunting days.

Collecting points in WY for speed goats and mule deer. Inclined to do two hunts instead of a combo.

As for driving - did that in 2017 & 2019. 30+ hours each way both times. Gonna fly next time. Not that driving will kill me, it is the loss of the 4-5 days behind the wheel. You get home tired - real tired.

Both this year, make the most of your time out there. 34 hours is a long ride, you'll want at least 5 days huntin in between traveling days. If your like me, most buck antelope look the same. So you may tag out day 1 on goat. Chasing mule deer the rest of the trip will be fun. You can scout deer while goat huntin or hunt both at the same time possibly. I seen mule deer near antelope in eastern MT back to back years.

wytx

WKR
Do your antelope hunt first, check out some deer areas when you fill out. Plan it right and do some sage grouse hunting and fishing also, after the antelope tag is filled.
With that many PP you'll want to be picky and it may take a few days to find the buck worthy of your PP.