Which Kifaru for easy load sling, on DT frame.

MattB

WKR
I didn't think you were supposed to put the sleeve back on when using it as a load sling?
7c4d8e9b2348a560030b65dfc4067d85.jpg

That is my understanding - no wonder it is hard.

I believe the main bag on the Rambler is 2800ci.

The rambler is my favorite Kifaru pack. It's what your looking for except to small from what you say you need size wise.

Regards, Branden

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
So the load lifter straps attach back to the bag? Like in the pervious picture? How? Anybody got pics of this on a T1? I'll have to look closely at how to possibly do that. Seem less solid, that the load lifters aren't attached to something fixed and rigid. Right?

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
Do the load lifters not attach to the frame on all the packs? I've only got the duplex frame and AMR.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
The lifters attach to the frame. I just checked. There is no way that I can see to make the lifters attach to the bag. So if not using the hypalon sleeve, how do yo get the top of the pack to attach back to the frame and secure the top of your load? If you only used the side buckles that would leave the top 1/3 of the pack unsecured and floppy. I'm thoroughly confused.

Last edited:
SDHNTR I believe you could use the straps on the lid depending on how far out your bag is from the frame. That's what I did with the rambler while packing out a deer this year. Loop your lid straps through the top of your frame then back to your bag. While packing an elk this year I didn't have the lid but the side straps kept the bag tight the whole time.

If you add a third strap to your T1 and place it higher I doubt you would need top straps. Either a lash kit or permanent straps would probably fix your problem.

Regards Branden.

if i remember correctly from the video, i think that new pack they have coming out fixes the issue of attaching the top of the bag to the frame when using the load shelf. they added some loops on top of the bag so you can run straps up to the frame when the hypalon sleeve is off.

N2TRKYS

WKR
The lifters attach to the frame. I just checked. There is no way that I can see to make the lifters attach to the bag. So if not using the hypalon sleeve, how do yo get the top of the pack to attach back to the frame and secure the top of your load? If you only used the side buckles that would leave the top 1/3 of the pack unsecured and floppy. I'm thoroughly confused.

There are plastic clips at the top of my frame that will accept a buckle with a 3 bar slider. That's how I attach my cargo panel and could attach the top buckle of my AMR bag that way.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
if i remember correctly from the video, i think that new pack they have coming out fixes the issue of attaching the top of the bag to the frame when using the load shelf. they added some loops on top of the bag so you can run straps up to the frame when the hypalon sleeve is off.

What video? Got a link?

That sounds like exactly what is needed. That's the way my Stone Glacier works. At the top of the frame there are straps that go forward to the shoulder straps, and ones that go back to attach the top of the bag. Good system. I don't see load lifters going to the bag alone as being a good solution.

What video? Got a link?

That sounds like exactly what is needed. That's the way my Stone Glacier works. At the top of the frame there are straps that go forward to the shoulder straps, and ones that go back to attach the top of the bag. Good system. I don't see load lifters going to the bag alone as being a good solution.

Check out the kifaru center zip thread on here. The pack was shown in a gritty bowmen podcast.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Found the GB video. I like the looks of that Reckoning pack a lot. I like the compression straps and the center zip and those are reason enough for me to retire my DT1. But what I really wanted to see Aron just glossed over and that is how you'd reattach the top of the bag when using the meat shelf. I still see the hypalon sleeve, and that part of the system looks the same as a DT1 at first glance. So assuming load sling mode, do you move the load lifter straps as they run from the top of the shoulder pads back to the bag itself, or do those straps re attach to the frame, and then additional straps come off the back of the frame to attach to the bag?

I need to see more.

You do not reattach the hypalon sleeve and there is nothing connecting the top of the pack. There is only side and bottom compression. The DT1 was never designed to be used this way and the problem is that in doing so you will compress the crap out of everything in your bag. There are only 2 bags right now (soon to be 4 if the Reckoning and Woodsmen both have a sling): Mtn Rambler (discontinued, possibly temporarily) and the Tahr. The Rambler had connection points on the back so that you could compress the meat without compressing the bag. Kifaru also made a load sling accessory for a while that was similar to the Exo Crib. I had one and sold it as I had a hard time controlling the sag (see picture below) and preferred to simply use a Grab-it to secure the meat and just use compression straps to hold the bag in place over top of the meat rather than using the bag to hold the meat in place which requires a lot more compression. If you plan to be doing this with a DT1 a lot, I would use a combination of a cargo panel with the DT1; if not doing it often you could probably just get away with a Grab-it or one of the old load shelf accessories if you can find one. How I would envision the cargo panel set-up is that you connect the cargo panel to the frame and strap in the meat. Then I would slip the hypalon sleeve over the top of the cargo panel (end not attached to the frame) and run the top straps through the load lifter holes (I am guessing these line up, haven't tried it myself) and to the top of the frame. I would then run the 3-bars through the PALS and the compression straps either to the frame or the cargo panel it really doesn't matter although running them to the frame might make it more stable.

S-OqqRrtKEZmwiav9ziWl_2swU_N7F1fXYogxpzER30cC75Zo16X_rwKVJmrztYiRUAtAOKV_KqEBXwZ3rd4EZW5c_0sBXreL3A78o3asvLeqJReP6zmdyuY7L1AEOUmSrCCbE9DBW8ETkumqKMfaqFB5WJPJ0b5W9tK6-UcT-KibWbxuYOsJl93FhIm4IQpHixMhttjBwsvPbPXhrkBLkiEAXzaXu5Q8d4PBywVWMNevhv5zOt8lwrCx1LfZy_3KkSjc_dZt7EUTvT-o47_VaEvXw0nS13FNCbb70wc7H9OmanWDfZtRpHobFAkKRZ3zAvrpVoPETkIPrRcDbnwkRImyFPjRp1TdHr8SLAVI1Y7AFHf2dGmOsUSXCFwvlctp2xnWH5bKlLkCzgOZOAfFkokL1BSa8gAxORBIr9ic3GRY7hMrLl2n6twoepCe3v6AIJulGJBZCc3cQwRPL03i6FvRAZh2fXiUDQdWpQN9KLGHPHk-URGtDE0t6tuSMNhRDC9hYb6JNik-t3eblAHGiIYhzmYeqUndzJixdy0jQni1j29SEwPD9z_5H6cIf1CHm842nFgcvlxNZwdP4tcLTqIsInc7tN1p0D2_0Bgl6bpUCk52Q=w427-h857-no

6TF8uoHmaL_ncwBi_7u3dAWSA0X_XpJJv5i3kEgSX37CwzowX31gjsklmvcjre7AQctTZKSpYxAhi55NZGsm84SXsxZR65D1GdNSHovFOQ2AObZw0gqyWkcJQBC8zXxFhB7Q3Rtay57s9y-muIgH1Mu9OIhrOq4RNzCDFYGvoMnBlNLI2qlIg4DVUsn-rEt4pUf5TlFfipw1sZ4E_3gwGi74dDs60zmNbm-Gk_pXFlwKaGu42caP-3hmEhUqTnUw_QP9r6I3MOCfkpwul9arDMs1zC-nJ0fuF3jSf-59jvIn7xOUy6ZIqRNb6745YXTmn-A_m2z0Ptf4RWfqI32z2pLDeZWayKWGcqpiQT9RSsJTVLcwgQ8nTtxtrASgoqQuyTheQp-VYIeUTjuqx-E7lkMILrLuYWZ2wppSCJT_pCfOAmNePGlm7F_NaQGpPyVYSbW4bmYtA53fIsq77MTOgiVmudokS1dWXI_YLb2zek2eKItPNT-p06E7CL-aKbRYuo0BT3ZIt4BtVLEmwSHfXqaNZaFRluXAOFMdPbbOqUfL7N6yvqbechUHZjg2eCYx1t672FUejBz26GU7xgVDB9WIknWOn1GTwTS3JSjDHm_pn7cRRA=w1099-h974-no

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks. What pack is that in the pic above? That load does not look like fun the way it is sagging so low. And thats exactly what I'm talking about. If there were top bag straps attaching back to the frame you could pull a lot of that sag back up.

I don't see a need for a separate load shelf accessory, I just want the ability to quickly and securely load the meat in between the bag and frame. The compression straps are enough, well, they would be with some top straps too.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Because there aren't any top straps.

I don't like meat in the bag because of the mess and because I don't like putting hot meat in a non breathable bag. I prefer to keep meat separate from my clothes and whatever else I may have in he bag at the time. Personal preference.

Thanks. What pack is that in the pic above? That load does not look like fun the way it is sagging so low. And thats exactly what I'm talking about. If there were top bag straps attaching back to the frame you could pull a lot of that sag back up.

I don't see a need for a separate load shelf accessory, I just want the ability to quickly and securely load the meat in between the bag and frame. The compression straps are enough, well, they would be with some top straps too.

That is the 22 Mag. I had 25lbs of weight inside the bag and 40 lbs on the shelf. It actually didn't feel as unstable as it looked. I took it on a training hike and it actually didn't bother me. It wasn't until I took the picture that I realized just how far it was sagging. That being said, i will try to take a picture of my preferred method tonight and show you the difference. If you wanted tab loops added to the top of the bag to add some top compression straps you could email [email protected]. He could add some tab loops right by the load lifters and you could carry some extra compression straps, but I don't think it would help as much as you think it will. The real problem is the downward force the meat would add to the bag, which is why I prefer the grab-it as it doesn't transfer any weight to the bag itself.

N2TRKYS

WKR
There aren't any top straps or straps close to the top on your bag to attach to the top of the frame? Just curious, cause mine does.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
There aren't any top straps or straps close to the top on your bag to attach to the top of the frame? Just curious, cause mine does.

Nope, there aren't. At least not that I can see. I'm open to rigging something, just not sure how to do it best.